Serious issues with a Rekluse install

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Davidnft, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is a long ass drama that I am hoping someone here is able to figure out.
    I had my local KTM dealer install a Rekluse into my 2012 990R 4 months ago.
    Within 12 miles the clutch locked up and would not come out of gear. They did not replace the springs at the time of the first install and they failed.
    This sent metal through out my engine and killed my oil pump. They drained the oil multiple times to get all the shaving out of the oil. The engine then ran like crap. It would not have power over 4500rpms. They then replaced the fuel pump and that fixed the power issue.

After replacing the clutch for the 2nd time the bike then ran for 118 miles and then lock up again. Blown out spring.

They replaced with a 3rd Rekluse and 30 miles in BAM. Lock up. Blown out spring.

Each time a spring has blown out. Rekluse says they have never heard of this before and the dealer has installed a lot of these before with no issues.

Now they want to put in a factory clutch and see if that works.

The dealer has been great from owning the issue and have invested countless hours to try to make it right but they are flat out confused just as I am.

Has anyone ever had this issue or heard of this before. Is my bike screwed from the first lock up?
    the engine runs great for the little bit of time I have been on it.

The pics are from 2 of the clutches. OUCH!!!!

Any help would be great.

Attached Files:

2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same clutch basket? If so I'd say the problem is the bolt hole threads got stripped out on the first install.
  3. idahojoe

idahojoe shut up and ride

Oddometer:
    If I understand the problem correctly, I agree with windblown. If the pressure plate spring is pushing the screw out, the threads are stripped and a stock clutch will do the same thing. You will need a new stock center hub.

upload_2019-11-12_12-53-36.png
  4. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I stopped by last night at the dealer and gave them the info. They believe the basket is good but I informed them they should change it out anyway. They are moving forward on the stock clutch install and I will give it a ride next week and we will see.
    I just do not see how a properly installed factory clutch would work and a properly installed Rekluse would not. That does not add up.
  5. Gmc28

Gmc28 Gmower

Oddometer:
    Stock clutch install is just a data point.... they’re just trying to narrow down the possibilities. Makes some sense.
    I have a rekluse in a box on the shelf. It came with my used (low mile) bike, and they said the rekluse has been used but was near new. I asked the shop that was selling the bike for the guy to install it (no charge to me). They did, and couldn’t get it to work right. So after going around on troubleshooting and options for a while, I just told them to re-install the stock clutch for my final test ride, and it was all good, so I bought the bike, took the boxed rekluse, and hit the road for home.
    So, not much help, because I have not yet done any more with figuring out the issue, but can add the small data point that my 2010 does have issues with running it’s near-new Rekluse.
  6. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at the pic it looks like the hollow bolts that hold the center hub together striped their internal threads. Just put a Rekluse in myself last week with no issues. But I haven't rode more than 30 miles yet. Check out this thread for some info about the hollow bolts.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/all-the-oil-came-out-the-bottom-drain-plug.1394373/
  7. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Which Rekluse did you put in? I have a Z Start Pro in my '06 and have had Zero problems..Love it.
    I agree they likely stripped the bolt holes..causing the spring bolt to pop.
  8. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Impossible to see what's going on in the photos. Your dealer may be great but I'd take it to another mechanic to diagnose issue. My best guess would be wrong sized recesses in pressure plate or springs, allowing too much side play. Measure the stock and compare it to the rekluse.
  9. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m not familiar with what all the Rekluse parts are used in the KTM clutch basket. But if the stock clutch booster is still retained when using a Rekluse, that’s the part that has the hollow bolts thread into. The clutch booster is a (semi) standard wear item, and depending upon how many miles are in the bike, it might be time to replace it anyhow. I do have a few spare of those hollow bolts that I saved. If you need a couple let me know. But like I said, depending upon how many miles are on the bike, it would probably be better to just get a new clutch booster assembly. The clutch basket isn’t the part that has the hollow bolts in it, so I wouldn’t think that the dealer would have to swap it out for testing a stock clutch in your bike...and I would think that you might be able to get the dealer to replace your clutch booster assembly, rather than just replacing a few of those bolts (that are NOT available separately from KTM). 355650DB-F82C-45DB-AB54-818609472ED4.jpeg

*and if you need a brand new basket for some reason, it might be better you get yours rebuild with a billet basket from CJ Designs. I think it might cost less going that route, rather than a buying a new OEM KTM basket.
    DirtyADV, NitroAcres and windblown101 like this.
  10. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    If the clutch springs popped out, it is because the threads were stripped out..and they don't strip themselves.
    Whodatschrome likes this.
  11. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The latest in the drama is the mechanic replaced all the parts inside of the clutch system with factory. The outer cover was also cracked from the last clutch lock up. I saw all the new parts get installed. Within 44 miles while in third gear the bike started stuttering when I put it in second gear the clutch locked up the engine and it died.

It definitely runs deeper than just putting a rekluse in. Since a factory clutch with all new parts its doing the same thing. The shaft looked good on the clutch side but could it be screwed where it goes into the engine?

Killing me.
  12. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    For kicks, this is what it looks like behind the main right side engine cover. Did they dig this deep into it to investigate, or just the small clutch cover?
    79338DA3-A100-4B41-93FE-DF9497564498.jpeg

Maybe they forgot a thrust washer or something?
    DirtyADV likes this.
  13. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be there Monday to open it up and see.
    Thank you
  14. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    After re-reading your post, I highlighted the important parts...

None of the Rekluse installs require removing the big cover...

The clutch springs usually don't "fail" they just become weak and sacked out..what happens is the bolt threads get stripped out and then they pop out and cause the damage you see in the photos..

There is definitely something much bigger wrong from your description of the issues..you don't simply just flush out metal partiicles ..you tear down the engine and make sure they are ALL REMOVED..otherwise they float around damaging other parts..gears, bearings, etc.
  15. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    UPDATE: I am now running a new OEM clutch in the bike for the last 200 miles with zero issues. The engine is running as strong as ever.
    I am hoping to get 400-500 miles by the end of the week and see where we are at. When all goes well I want to go back and install a Rekluse again. If the OEM is running great and I install a new Rekluse it should run great still.....correct? I am going to help with the install and have a friend that has installed a few himself also help out my mechanic.
    The part that makes me pucker is I load my bike on a trailer from KY on January 10th headed to do the CABDR. Nothing like cutting it close.
    NitroAcres likes this.
  16. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    Which Rekluse do you have?
  17. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I honestly did not know there could be a difference for the 990r. Are there multiple models that fit a 990. My shop purchased it. What should I be looking for?
    Thank you
  18. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    There was the "Z-Start Pro" and a few iterations of the "Exp"
  19. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rekluse only shows the Radius x for 990, unless I'm not seeing something.
    Do they even make the Z Start any more?
    And ain't the EXP a dirt bike unit?
  20. NitroAcres

Oddometer:
    Rekluse doesn't make a lot of things anymore... I have 2 of the 950/990 Z-Start Pro's it was Part# RMS-631
    I had both the EXP 2.0 and 3.0 (didn't like either of them, the Z Start Pro was the best Rekluse made and was discontinued for cost reasons).