Serious issues with a Rekluse install

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Davidnft, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I called Rekluse and the system works in the 950, 990 and 990R.
    They think the necessary parts were not replaced. I am going to have my shop order all new everything and start from scratch.
  2. Davidnft

Davidnft Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What didn’t you like about the EXP but do like about the Z start?
  3. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a EXP on my 07 990, and have had on various woods bikes (250 and 300 KTMs). Some lessons learned:

• Critical to assure your clutch springs are absolutely in spec. I would say only start out with new springs. Not doing so cost me a burnt up Rekluse
    • Make sure inner hub and outer basket are show no signs of wear or notching.
    • Carefully verify the full stack height. Their instructions define something use a .48mm steel plate if stack is X, and a .60 if less than X (dont recall what X is) What they do not define is a MINIMUM full stack height. i had one stack which was "thin" but as no defined minimum, I proceeded with the .60. Sure enough, it did not last long.
    • Bump up your idle speed via Tune ECU to to fine tune how it engages. Thats certainly optional, but can help minimize freewheeling when you dont want it to.
    • ABSOLUTELY assure you have proper oil consistent with Rekluse specs. MA/MA2 service rating required. In the past, they used to recommend Rottella T4 (i think it has a different name now...i used it for years on my little bikes with Rekluse). Evidently, Shell changed the formula along the way, still gives it a MA/MA2 rating, but Rekluse told me they started having issues with those using it. T6 they said was good. I unfortunately continued to use T4 unknowingly after the formula change. Guess what...toasted clutch. I no longer go with any Rotella, and am now using Amsoil full synthetic with good luck so far.
    • If you are a low RPM engine lugger, a rekluse will wear quickly. I had lengthy discussion with a Rekluse tech through my various issues about this. I ride two up a good deal, off pavement semi technical stuff. To keep dear wifey happy, I do lug. Plates wear. Monitor them closely.

Once you get it sorted, you will absolutely love a Rekluse. I certainly do on my 990 and my 300 (and other bikes in the past). An amazing tool, that seriously can help your riding.
    NitroAcres likes this.
  4. NitroAcres

NitroAcres MotoBiggots Suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adjust-ability and Smoothness of engagement..overall operational design the Z-StartPro was/is way better...IMO
    Sadly the profit margins weren't there for Rekluse and it was discontinued.
  5. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just 2 cents worth of opinion..... if I were in this situation I would do the trip with the OEM clutch. Sounds like you will not have sufficient time to vet the Rekluse before the trip and failure would ruin the whole trip.

:dunno
    windblown101, NitroAcres and MCCOYBOY like this.