Service Question.... a little advice?

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by flybigjet, Jul 11, 2019.

1. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    So-- riding around the west coast in increments.

Had the bike serviced before leaving Denver, but have about 400 miles before the 6000 mile service is due (at least that's what the computer says when the ignition is turned on.)

I've got roughly 2000(ish) miles to go before getting home. (I'll need new tires when I get back too).

So-- get it serviced on the road (Maybe LA?) which is sort of problematic from a scheduling standpoint and eats up riding time, or carry forward to Denver and go over by about 1500 miles?

What says the Collective?
  2. rollinalong

rollinalong Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t really have an answer, but if you decide to get it serviced while you’re in SoCal, lookup Lior Moto in Corona. Independent shop, nice guy does work at really reasonable prices. I have no affiliation with the business, have just used them in the past.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Motorius

Motorius Road trippin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, just an opinion here but if you’re full on oil, and it’s running well, I’d say you should be able to go the distance. If anything just change the oil and filter yourself on the road. Order online and have it sent to to PO as General Delivery. That’s probably the most important part of any services.
    RunninRanger and lewisjr1 like this.
  4. sizzlingbadger

sizzlingbadger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1500 miles past the service interval is bugger all to worry about.
    Jager and double_entendre like this.
  5. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Great-- I'll wait until Denver then. It's doing great on oil with no problems.

Getting service done on the road would be problematic since I'm pretty pressed for time with activities.

Riding tomorrow (Castle Air Museum and then down US1/101) to meet up with a buddy. Sat is Planes of Fame in Chino and an in-law sortie and a visit with my niece (it's her birthday). Sunday is riding to the Rock Store with said buddy. Monday, I start over Mohave/Death Valley towards Tucson.

Thanks all.
  6. Motorius

Oddometer:
    If you head north up thru AZ toward UT try to take 191 between Safford and Eagar. Lovely road!
    RunninRanger likes this.
  7. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    I haven't quite figured out my route on that leg yet. I need to get from Santa Clarita/Valencia to Tucson, since that's where I'll be storing the bike. I have two-three days to get to Tucson. Then on Wednesday or Thursday, I'll store the bike for another month, go to the Pima Air Museum, and hitch a ride home to Denver.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. Motorius

Oddometer:
    If you should end up riding north from Tucson...

There are two nice roads headed north on the eastern side of AZ, the 191 and the 77 from Winkelman to Globe and 60 from there to Show Low. The 70 from Globe to Safford is nothing special but going out of Safford you get big sweeper curves, from Morenci north for about 15-25 miles just good riding and after that is just a hoot of tight turns, sweepers, elevation gain, and changing desert to alpine forest.

If you just go Globe to Show Low it’s a beautiful ride with the worse parts of the road newly repaved. Not as technical as 191 but still lots of fun.

Finally, you can take 177 up to Superior and then head East to Globe. This too is an excellent ride. You’ll go past the Ray Mine in the Copper District. Big open pit thing. Then from Superior the ride to Globe has plenty of twisties as it climbs and descends. Don’t speed between Superior & Globe. Often a police presence there. I ride it often and I’d say easily 1/3 of the time they’re waiting to give tickets. The 171 near Kearney sometime has patrols.

If you’re not going to ride 191 do 177 for sure just to see the huge mine. The one north of Morenci on 191 is even bigger!

When you get to Hayden/Winkelman (why they are two towns is beyond me because together they barely make 1/4 of a town) try to have lunch at Maria’s if you like Mexican food. On the left about 1 city block N of the gas station.

BTW, the road due north out of Tucson is hellaciously slow. Lights every few blocks and poorly timed at that. I’ve done that twice and deeply regretted it both times.
  9. Pch123

Pch123 Bar Crossings

Oddometer:
    Dont worry about it
    Ride on and service when home
    NoiZboy and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  10. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    You can miss an oil change by 2000 miles it won't hurt the engine. Also you could always just drop the oil and refill don't bother with the filter for once.
    lewisjr1 likes this.
  11. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    Well, if you are passing through the eastern San Francisco Bay Area today, you could drop by my place and we could change your oil.
    j.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  12. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but SFO is far behind me. Heading to Carmel right now and then turning south on US-1.

Thanks though!

R.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly! :deal
  14. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What does that mean?
  15. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    What does what mean?
  16. texas123

texas123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  17. lewisjr1

lewisjr1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now I get it! Pretty much nothing.

Happens to me all the time!
  18. flybigjet

Oddometer:
    Is this the "Devil's Highway" that ends up in Alpine? That was the first ride I did on the bike (I bought it used with 700 miles in Tucson and rode it back to Denver.). Definitely enjoyed that ride-- I had so much fun I literally blew the USAFE car-sized plate that the previous owner had zip-tied to the license plate frame off the bike.

I'm planning on doing that ride again, but the bike will stay in Tucson until late Sept/early Oct as that's the first time I'll have any days off to go get it (Sturgis & wife's Master's (#3) graduation in August and Bali for two weeks in September).

The big question is, what's a good route from Santa Clarita to Tucson that will eat up two days and not be a slab-fest?
    Motorius likes this.
  19. Motorius

Oddometer:
    Yeah, same road!

As to 2days riding from SC to TUC, not much there. You can go up to Kitts Observatory but maybe that adds an hour or two of riding and sightseeing. Just not much in western AZ.

In that case you might want to consider the long way to Tucson by heading N across whatever road of choice and coming down thru Show Low to Globe to Winkelman to Tucson. That’s probably your best ride. Maybe hit parts of Rte 66.
    RunninRanger likes this.
  20. Motorius

Oddometer: