Servos Suck

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SCQTT, Sep 24, 2008.

1. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Rode the 04 Adventure to work today. I can't see how anyone would think those stupid servo brakes are any better than the conventional brakes on a GS.

BMW needs a new mission statement.

BMW - We develop strange solutions for problems that only exist in the minds of our engineers while ignoring the problems that only exist in the minds of our customers.

SCQTT
  2. northsoutheastwest

northsoutheastwest Alaskaless....for now.

Oddometer:
    aside from a little noise, they dont bother me
  3. FredGarvin

FredGarvin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    typical German OVER engineering....
  4. Davy F

Davy F Pro Goolie Fiddler

Oddometer:
    I like mine too. Nice strong brakes all the time. Yes, a solution to a non-problem that never existed, but that's the germans for you.

MOD edit: Racial epithet removed.
  5. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:

Cars have power brakes, why not a bike :dunno I love the servo/abs combo. It is very comforting to have that kind of stopping power and controllability
  6. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might think different if you tried a 05 1200GS with servos. The first time I hammered them I almost flew over the windshield. Yes a really good rider can do as well or better. But I am north of 50 age wise and I like a bit of automation to make life easier. I think some day the bikes with servos will be worth more than the ones without. Dave
  7. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    All the servos owners will jump in, but I like being able to use one or two fingers to set the ABS alive. Power brakes rawk
  8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    :nod Well said Dave! :thumb

Jim :brow
  9. Boston12GS

Boston12GS Banned

Oddometer:
    I had the servo/ABS on my 06GS, and didn't mind them--brakes were excellent, scarily so compared to the (perfectly OK) brakes on my previous V-strom. I did worry a bit about the costly servo perhaps causing trouble down the road, but it never gave me a hard time in the ~35,000 miles I had the bike.

Now I have a 08GSA, with non-servo/ABS brakes, and I have to say I think the bike stops just as aggressively as did my servo 06. I can brake the GSA really, really hard with just a finger, and two fingers is more than enough for an emergency stop (practice, that is--for a real emergency I'll take as much brake lever pressure as I can get, thank you very much).

Not a knock on the servo brakes, but they do seem to be a bit of solution in search of a problem. Which is fine--such things drive creativity and innovation, after all.
  10. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:
    Bingo!
  11. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    My understanding is that the servo-ABS system was developed to make a smoother and faster reacting ABS action. With the servos you can have a very fast recycle time, which makes the ABS more effective and responsive.

Newer versions are nearly as good due, in reaction and cycle time, to new technology, so BMW got rid of the servo assist.

PS By the way, the new ABS systems still have a servo, but it is for the ABS cycle speed only so you wont notice it is there, even with the bike not running.
  12. flattworks

flattworks papawheelie

Oddometer:
    S ervos rule. I love my 05 with servos. I lever feel is very precise. One finger every time and it's usually the middle one to all those who are hating on the servo brakes. :rofl
  13. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder how servo lovers will feel once they've owned the bike for 7 or 10 years and the servos crap out and need to be replaced and you're suddenly looking at a $2000 bill just for the servo unit, plus labor to remove and install the new one, vs. the new gen of ABS brakes where as if the ABS unit fails, you can still choose to ride and still have full braking power, just no ABS. :dunno
  14. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    No different than the non-servo owners which seem to be having a similar failure rate.:evil

Fortunately you can convert to non-servo, non-ABS for only a few hundred dollars.

15. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I dunno....riding with the key off down some long hills here I can stop pretty aggressively...just takes more pressure on the lever. Prolly a lot like non-servo brakes I'd guess.

What's interesting is Honda's new EABS setup on their bikes. it's assisted braking, but the whole design is really ingenious. Scroll type pump spins all the time keeping assist available 100% of the time. No noise, and no pressure spike/release/pressure spike/release pattern when braking with ABS fully engaged. Smooth braking action, no pulsing, no wheel lockup...the future of ABS as we know it.

http://www.kewego.com/video/iLyROoafY34A.html

That video depicts a rough translation of the Honda system.
  16. rat734

rat734 Michael 3 Lives

Oddometer:
    Mark me down for happy with my Servos...:clap
  17. mb90535im

mb90535im '05 R1200 GS

Oddometer:
    Love mine, but like someone posted above, the brakes are better at stopping than I am.
  18. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first BMW I rode was a 2000 naked bike. There were two things about it that convinced me that my next bike would be a BMW, if I could find one that wasn't so cramped: the ABS brakes, and the suspension. Enter one 03 GSA. Did not take long to realize what a piece of garbage the "new and improved" brakes are - that stupid noise when stopped at a traffic light, the grabbiness at very low speeds, and the fact that when that stupid pump stops working youv'e got practically NO BRAKES - well, brakes that are about as effective as bicycle brakes on a 700 lb motorcycle. Yes indeed, those servos SUCK:nono
  19. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

?????? you need to ride a new bike without servos.

I would love to challenge anyone to a braking contest.

I have a stock 07 (no servos) 1200 Adventure with ABS (Tourances)
    If you have the same bike with servos (06 1200 Adventure) how about getting together to compare the stopping power of the respective machines.

FWIW I do not care about repair cost. I care about complexity without benefit.
  20. Nialis

Nialis Super Motarded

Oddometer:
    Well the servo brakes on my GS are WAY better than the std brakes on my other bikes, but they lack feel and low pressure molulation. If you are riding hard they are not noticed at all, if you are going slow in stop and go traffic or in a parking lot they are shitty. I will say this, I think the GS hauls down better than the 07 SV I have and WAY better than the Pegaso! When they finally fail I may or may not keep them, by now I really do miss them when I get on on my other rides.