Servos Suck

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SCQTT, Sep 24, 2008.

1. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    That's one you need to back up with some proof. :huh
  2. wolfduke

wolfduke wolfduke

Oddometer:
    I have an 04 1150gsa with servos. There's no question they make it real easy to stop, but I just think they take the "feel" out of the brakes. There's been several times where I've almost bit it in a parking lot by not applying the brakes just right. Sometimes I'm not quite sure what just right is on them. I never had that issue on my old KTOOM or XR650.
  3. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    Servo's are junk, and BMW knows it. Mine failed three months out of warranty, BMW Canada offered to fix it in a blink of an eye, no argument. I was told they fail regularly and is one of the most common warranty claims on the older GS's, next to failed out-put shaft seals. I would never buy another BMW with servo's again. sold the bike, problem solved! :clap
  4. bemiiten

bemiiten League of Adventures

Oddometer:
    Most of the major cycle mags are no longer publishing 60-0 stopping distances with the exception of MCN. Both servo and conventional BMW systems consistently were in the 126'-128 foot range while the best I recall were Yamaha's FZ1 and one of the Triumphs (speed triple?)posting stops of 105'. That is purported to be in excess of 1G, or past BMW's artificial threshold for their abs systems. Without digging through a mountain of old moto mags, I believe the Goldwing was around 115' Again ,Servos reduce effort, not actual stopping distances.
  5. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Perhaps with a pro or semi pro rider that *may* be true, but with the average Joe riding 1500 miles a year I'd bet the results are quite different.
  6. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:

:huh

1500 miles/year
  7. CosmicGS

CosmicGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not mind my servos. I was well aware of the varying opinions on them when I bought my '04 this summer. They work fine for me.

When I first rode the bike I quickly learned the two finger braking technique as I almost put myself over the handlebars!

If they fail, I'll just have to pretend I am back on my Harley and grab as much brake as I safely can. And as far as replacement goes, just like the final drive, I don't worry about it and will cross that financial bridge when I get to it.
  8. biggziff

Oddometer:
    Dude..look at all the bikes that are 2-4 yrs old for sale that have under 4000 miles on them. When I was looking I found more than a dozen within 150 miles of my area. One was 3 yrs old and had less than 800 miles. I suspect there are a good many of these (and other) bikes sold that are impulse purchases by people trying to relive youth or live some dream they had and suddenly realize, for whatever reason, that riding a bike isn't what they thought it was going to be. Not condemning, just saying what I've observed.
  9. Bugman98

Bugman98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've noticed that several of you mentioned that at low speeds the servos brakes were hard to control, like when manuvering in a parking lot, etc. What about when riding in dirt? Taking switchbacks on a jeep trail? I would assume you'd disable the ABS, but would the servos still be working? Would having servos make the bike more diffficult to control in these circumstances? I'm wondering because I'm contemplating the purchase of a GS.
  10. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought my 05' R1150GSA a few weeks ago and although I first found them different I did not find them dangerous on gravel roads.
    And the servo still works when the ABS is off but it didn't make the bike any harder to control on loose dirt and gravel.
  11. Kevreif

Kevreif Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where the west and north branch susquehanna meet
    i have an 05 with abs. i've done some dirt riding and you don't get very good "feel" from the brakes. the servos still work when abs is disabled. if i had a choice i would pick a model with abs but no servos. but thats me. i like my abs and i like stopping with one finger, but i work on my own bike and the simpler the better for me. that being said i did a full brake flush on my bike and everything turned out ok, just took awhile and had to do some research.
  12. dancy

dancy Undescended Testicle

Oddometer:
    I understand. Next time go to New York when you buy a GS
    I just noticed your 10-20. I guess y'all don't have a 10 month riding season.
  13. Johnnyboxer

Johnnyboxer Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally agreed, that's why I chose a GSA without them

Damn fine brakes on the non Servo ABS 1150GSA
  14. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

Johnnyboxer I like your collection of bikes. Great minds think alike.
  15. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    What? they do one long weekend ride a year?
  16. biggziff

Oddometer:
    We can usually ride 12 months, although 2 of those will be very limited depending on snowfall. We get so little snow anymore that the 2-3 big storms a year are generally gone ina few days due to a warm spell. This is why I sold all the snowmobiles last December.
  17. AirForceDirt

AirForceDirt "Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer:
    Ah glorious desert weather...12 month out of the year, with the few exceptions being flooding during monsoon season (lasts an afternoon maybe) and if you're a sissy and don't like chilly mornings. Maybe its not so bad being this far south.
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Having grown up in Tucson I can say that riding in the summer sucks! It is TOO DAMN HOT for me. Give me single digit temps anyday over tripple digit temps!:deal

Jim :brow
  19. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Hi Jim :wave
    Tuscany is what you need. No winter, and no boiling hot summer. Add Chianti, Brunello, some Roman ruins, and the scene is set for some excellent rides :D

(OK, sorry, back on track you go)

[TaSK]
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Task,

Don't be surprised if I show up at your home one day looking for good food, wine and riding! My GF and I really want to visit Italy, and it is on our short list!

Jim :brow