Servos Suck

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SCQTT, Sep 24, 2008.

1. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Did you see this one?
    But we digress!

[TaSK]
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    AND you are a tease!:bluduh

:D

Some day my friend, some day!:deal

Jim :brow
  3. cooney

cooney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My servo quit working last week. Got caught in rush hour traffic with "residual" brakes. Really pissed me off and unsafe. Had 2 beemers before this one and loved them. I can't really explain how this made me feel. It wouldn't be nice i can tell you.

So the dealer tells me 2000 plus dollars just for the unit. Can't afford that to tell the truth. So i'm stuck with a very nice bike that doesn't stop. Read all the info i could find on the net. I guess i'll have to convert it and lose my abs. Not that big a deal losing the abs but it is a nice feature that i would like to have.

Anyone with helpful tips? I'm all ears.
  4. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    Unless you can find a used unit for less, there doesn't seem to be any alternatives for you but to go "naked".

I feel your pain.

[TaSK]
  5. cooney

cooney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yea i think you're right. Our electrician at the plant where i work wants to try and fix it. Might let him try then go as you say "naked". Thanks
  6. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
  7. AirForceDirt

AirForceDirt "Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer:

Its only hot if you stop moving...so the key is to keep moving...the faster the better.
  8. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:

You can try Beemerboneyard too. They sometimes have used abs control units.

http://www.beemerboneyard.com/
  9. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    I'm doing just such a job today - An R1150R, 16k miles, servo unit failure.

Electric servos, what a crap idea. If it's electric, it'll fail at some point. Why depend on a fuse for your brakes. :D
  10. diabolik37

diabolik37 Deadly Gubba

Oddometer:

Are we taking bets?:D

Just wondering...can you buy a 2008 1200GS with servos?
  11. Nesbocaj

Nesbocaj The NEW Soylent Green Deal???

Oddometer:
    If you get a chance snap a couple of pics please! Are you going to a
    larger master cylinder?
  12. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    Same master cylinder - no difference between servo and non-servo master cylinders.

Why the need for pictures ? I'll take a couple tomorrow, but the servo unit is held in place by the elecric plug 3 bolts and 4 screws and the brake pipes. Undo and remove !!!!!!!!
  13. cooney

cooney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about brake controls. I understood that they were tied into the abs unit or something. I hope i'm wrong and it is normal switches at the bars and footpeg.
  14. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are not totally wrong. Some rewiring needs to be done to make the brake lights work without an issue with the warning light.

Jim :brow
  15. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    Removing the servo/ABS unit - Three bolts secure the servo/abs unit. Remove them, unplug the electric connectors, lift the covers on the brake lines, and pull the retaining clips out .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once the clips are removed, just pull the brake lines out.

[​IMG]

Then pull out the servo unit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rear brake line from the caliper can bolted direct to the master cylinder

[​IMG]

The front brake line needs the junction joint replaced with a non servo connector. it's a straight replacement. The brake lines don't need to be changed

Servo junction unit ( took the picture after removing it :cry )

[​IMG]

The non servo unit, about to be bolted the frame in the same place as the servo unit.

[​IMG]

Still doing the brake lights and rear light wiring.

The rear light needs a link inserted to fuse two ( remember to connect it down stream of the fuse) .
    And the brake light switches need to be changed to non servo switches ( servo switches are live when closed, non servo are live when open), you then need to splice the brake light wiring to a live and into the brake circuit ( finishing this tomorrow)
  16. cooney

cooney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steptoe you rock. PLEASE get us straight on the wiring and i think i can do that job. Ordered the non-abs junction for the front brakes today. I need the switches now. You wouldn't have part #s for those would you? Thanks so much for the pictures!:clap
  17. R1150gsadvrider

R1150gsadvrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :clap

18. R1150gsadvrider

R1150gsadvrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The human mind and reflexes cannot out react ABS! A locked brake skid is a out-of-control vehicle. ABS allows for a slight rotation (impending skid) which offers maximum deceleration while offering some steerage and control. The exception is operation off hwy and in the dirt.:deal

19. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not the ABS that people don't like, it's the servo assist and the possibility of an astronomical repair bill if/when it quits working out of warranty.
  20. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    Not wishing to throw petrol on the flames.... but I've discovered a new issue with Servos: My bike sometimes stalls on change downs, not normally a big deal - just coast for a second while the ECU sorts itself and restart before you even stop. However, the servos lose power at the same time! And when are you normally changing down? When you are trying to stop! No doubt you can still stop using residual brakes - but when you are already trying to coast without power, watching the traffic, and hitting the starter - trying to recalibrate how hard to the pull the brake lever (with the same hand that is trying to restart the bike!) is a task too many :cry

I agree with the position that ABS is good and that riding with Servos is fine, even off-road. When mine die, I imagine that I will sacrifice ABS for the saving and the confidence of the brakes not failing.