Servos Suck

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SCQTT, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mav, what you describe is odd. The servos run whether or not the engine is running as long as the ignition is on. Having said that, with the complexity of the unit who knows what's going on.
  2. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    I imagine that once the bike is ready to restart, the brakes are also ready to work again... I'm normally so focused on getting the bike going I don't retry. I might give it a go today.
  3. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    :huh

Eh, Sir, I hope you don't mind me saying that you have a problem with your bike you really (!) should look into.
    One day it might stall on you just as you lean into a curve, and that might not end the way we want that to end.

[TaSK]
  4. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    I agree that I need to look in to it as it can be annoying when it happens as the engine drops to tickover, like when you are changing down as you come to a stop.

However, normally as I am dropping in to a bend, I've done most of my stopping and am back on the power, even if it's just to hold it steady. I'm just a n00b so I'm happy to be told I'm doing it all wrong...
  5. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mav,
    Are you saying when you are downshifting to a lower gear, your engine stalls? :huh That's not a normal thing for that bike.. You need to get this checked out.
  6. CheckerdD

CheckerdD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gadget Boy: You most likely say this because your Canadian. In America we know that if servos start failing with any frequency, the government will enact a big bucks bailout to buy up the toxic servos from the affluent BMW owners. Dave
  7. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    It's on my new-to-me GSA so I'm still getting used to it.

It's not the downshifting but letting the engine fall to tickover, which can sometimes happen when I come to a junction, which can include dropping down from 4th to 2nd or 1st. Never had it happen on a downshift. It also seems to be quite sporadic - I need to take the bike for a ride where I try to make it happen so that I can get it checked out.

Sorry for the hijack...
  8. Steptoe

Steptoe steptoe

Oddometer:
    This wiring information is for a european spec bike with an on/off light switch, not sure if it'll be different if you have a bike with lights operated when ignition is turned on.

Also remember you'll need to change the brake light switches from the servo to normal - the servo switches operate the opposite way to the standard switches i.e. If you left them in place the brake lights would be permanently on, until you used the brakes and then they would go out.

Rear light wiring - open the fuse box, and add a link the grey/white (from the rear light) with the grey/black output wire from fuse number 2 .

To wire the brake light - On the servo plug ( now redundant) from the loom, cut back the sheathing and link the green( iginition live), white/blue, yellow/green all together - and the grey/yellow, yellow/black, white/yellow together. ignore all the other wires.
    So you now have two seperate circuits, one for the rear brake light and one for the front brake light .

Job done.
  9. Mudcat

Mudcat Unregistered

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    They are not as good.
  10. cooney

cooney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks a bunch Steptoe. I have to get switchs then i'll be ready to attack. I'm ready to ride my bike again. Weather is finally cool enough in Baton Rouge to enjoy riding.:nod
  11. Phang

Phang Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice pictorial guide Steptoe :bow
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    A quick question, what is the part number for the bleeder screw and the bleeder screw rubber cap on the non-servo juction unit in your photo?<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have checked a few online part fiches and found 2 sets of part numbers for these 2 items. <o:p></o:p>
    34211236793 - vent screw<o:p></o:p>
    34327666398 - ventilation bolt<o:p></o:p>
    34211236794 - dust cap<o:p></o:p>
    34327666399 – cap

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
  12. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    If it is a M10, the BMW one come with a cap attached. The partnumber excapes me, but you can find it in the GSpot FAQ (where the "grub screw" is discussed).

[TaSK]
  13. cooney

cooney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well its all done. Thanks to everyone on this forum. Especially Steptoe. The bike no longer has ABS but it stops very well. I was thinking i wouldn't like the way it felt but was i wrong. Much better feel and plenty of power. The first time i got on the brakes hard it nearly did a stoppy. Total cost was around
    $150.00. Lovin it.:clap
  14. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it.
    Still lovin my sucky servos!!!!
  15. Voltar

Voltar Jr Asst Road Captain

Oddometer:
    Me too, unless they ever die... Then Steptoe's tutorial will make him my new (and temporary) best friend!

Thanks for posting all the details.
  16. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I'll put an extended warranty on this pig before the factory one goes away. There are many other expensive things that can and do go wrong with these. Cheap insurance in my opinion.
  17. mvsenna

mvsenna n00b

Oddometer:
    I just want to thank Steptoe and this Forum for showing me the way to remove the servo/abs system on my 04 1150 GSA. My bike stops just as good if not better than before. I definitely recommend this to anyone who 1) want better feel for their brakes, 2) want the brakes to work without turning on the bike, 3) not having to worry about the servo unit failing and having partial braking power during a ride, 4) not having to pay a good amount of money to have the brake system bled by a mechanic, 5) not wanting ABS, 6) not wanting linked brakes, 7) not wanting to learn a new way of braking-which is what the salesman will tell you ( you'll get use to it ) as soon as you mention "what's up with the brakes?" during the test ride, 8) want to shave off a little weight. The whole procedure cost me around $150.00 and took me the whole day to do. Thank you all, especially Steptoe, for sharing accurate instructions. :ricky
  18. DaveyMac

DaveyMac Retired from Riding

Oddometer:
    Even though the new GS / GSA doesn't use Servo's, I bought a new 09 GSA with out
    ABS. I will learn to ride more attendant, Hell I rode bikes on & off for the last 25yrs that were Non-ABS.

When I found this bike a month ago, my dealer (MAX) said this is a rare one, almost all come threw ABS/ESA .
    Still fresh in my mind, the bullshit flushing out my (gone now) 03 K12GT. I do all of my own work, Life just got simpler :thumb.
    Dave
  19. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not that I'm trying to start the ABS debate again but...
    Why do you have to have the brakes bled by a mechanic? Its a pretty simple chore.
    As far as the other comments go, even my 83' Venture had linked brakes. And since I have been riding since 81' I didn't find any need to develop any new way of braking!
  20. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    And a bit more dangerous...........:D