Setting Up an iPhone (or Android) for GPS

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by nacho squatcho, Jul 9, 2020.

1. nacho squatcho

nacho squatcho Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a post in another thread but decided to create my own. I was debating the use of a dedicated GPS vs a smartphone but ultimately I decided to stick with the phone due to budget.

C0E53BD6-16D6-42B4-8344-4D6B108F954D.jpeg

I like my phone “mounted” (see zip ties) to my bar pad for easy viewing and it keeps my handlebars from being cluttered. I ride an off road only YZ250X with no electrical system to support accessory charging that I am aware of.

The main gripes I have with using the iPhone for a GPS is battery life and ease of use while mounted. Most of the time I don’t need to look at it, but when I do I’d like to be able to just tap the screen to wake it or something similarly easy to do with riding gloves on, preferably without having to deal with the lock screen. The rest of the time I’d prefer the screen to be off or completely dim to save battery life and prevent overheating. The home button is somewhat a pain with gloves so I am wondering what other inmates have done to remedy these problems on their phones? Is there a particular navigation app that has features like this or are there hidden work arounds buried in iOS? Would it be worth trying to revive an old Android device that no longer works to use instead? I’ve done some research online but so far I haven’t turned up much. I’m open to all input. Thanks in advance!
  2. fjmartin

fjmartin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Couple of things to note to help with battery life could be putting a USB Battery somewhere to provide more juice for your ride. A 10000mAh battery is about the same size as your phone and will do a full charge from dead 2x. If you are worried about opening the port or damaging the port for charging on the phone you could also purchase an inexpensive Qi charger and put it under the phone. As far as a touch screen, I put one of those retractable lanyard used for holding your ID badge at work on my bars and connected a stylus pen to use the phone without removing my gloves, though when I'm wearing my thin MX gloves the phone works OK with just the gloves if I lick the finger. Also, you may know this but if you are out of cell range it's worth putting the phone is airplane mode. GPS receiver still works but the radios being off saves a ton of battery when there is no signal.

Battery - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081VLH4N4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Qi Charger - https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Charger-PowerWave-Qi-Certified/dp/B07WV1J8QL

Since this battery and Qi Charger are shaped very much like the phone you could stack them with maybe some drawer non-slip liner between the battery and Qi Charger.
    Liner - https://www.amazon.com/DAZZ-8716638-Graphite-Classic-Shelf/dp/B01LW0J2VH

You could cover the unused ports on the USB Battery with tape to keep dust and water out. I also use Poster Putty to mash up against where my USB cables connect. It's great to stop the ports from vibrating and breaking, keeps it dust and waterproof and comes off cleanly and can be reused several times.

Poster Putty - https://www.amazon.com/Duck-Reusable-Removable-Mounting-1436912/dp/B000BQMFEC

Hope this helps!
    nacho squatcho likes this.
  3. nacho squatcho

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, and that really is good advice. I had actually been looking at power banks before posting this.
    fjmartin likes this.
  4. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great pic, that trail looks awesome.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    have you seen the kyocera thread yet?
  6. nacho squatcho

Oddometer:
    Yes I’ve been reading what I can, time is a luxury right now for me. I may end up picking up one on eBay in the near future.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    it's pretty easy

45$ xd
    12$ mount
    9$ extra batteries each
    load an app and go
  8. soyanarchisto

soyanarchisto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I tried using my iphone XR for a gps while in death valley and the vibrations broke the camera. Luckily I was still under warranty but I wont be using it again on rough terrain
  9. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ohgood do you like the XD over the pro?
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i like the xd over the pro, for these reasons:
    replaceable battery
    big screen

i like the pro over the xd for these reasons:
    faster
    better camera
    fingerprint sensor

the xd works better for me for navigation/gps stuff, but the pro is a better daily driver for me, for kids photos, android auto, etc
  11. twan40

twan40 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks got it