Setup your rugged Android for all things GPS ?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ohgood, Oct 6, 2015.

1. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got an Android tablet last fall to look at using for my dual sport routes.
    I tried Locus - map were hard to see clearly, but handled tracks well - and OSMand - maps were nice but tracks sucked.
    Unless they've updated the problem areas in either of those packages, they don't work for me.
    Also, the tracks/routes that people have change over time - they download new stuff, old stuff gets closed, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth....

Oh, and for Nuvi's look at building map overlays... that works pretty good.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Last fall was 8 (i think) revisions ago. The map rendering engine hasn't changed, but much about how road themes has, for Vector based maps. There is map scaling, map text ranges, and color schemes/themes. Scaling per speed is also working very well on vector based maps now. Without more input, it might be possible to suggest changes to bring the view into your liking. But that would be much better handled in the Locus thread, instead of the "can I set it up for you ?" thread. :) thanks ! :)
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:
    ramz will be slot two. I'll email you this evening for mailing instructions. sorry so short, tuckered out today. :-)

eight freebie slots left :-)
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  4. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this is offtopic but i have been using a Casio comando c771 and that thing is though ! This is a vídeo from last weekend , i hit it with my leg and it went flying to the ground , no problem it Also rain'ed hard , worked great all day , i would recommend the 811 , the 771 wont run loucus , i use Orux and copilot

;)
    ohgood and highnoonhunter like this.
  5. highnoonhunter

highnoonhunter Leathersmith

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!
    I think the 811 is gonna be the phone I buy.
  6. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    My phone arrived today....just waiting to send it with a microSD card
    highnoonhunter and ohgood like this.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Cool, looking forward to sending these first few out as soon as they land here :)
    highnoonhunter and kag like this.
  8. Mortech

Mortech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thinking of jumping in on this , I have a Moto G from Boost I'm no longer using but it has no useable memory slot .
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:

iirc the forest generation moto g had 8gb of internal storage, which is plenty for vector maps of any one continent at a time, along with several hundred miles of satellite images/other map images.

the navigation software and tracks/waypoints/kmz/etc take up very little memory at all.

the moto g have a very nice display, that's for sure.
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:
    KAG's phone should be done this afternoon, and in the mail this evening or first thing in the morning. It has a nice, big, BRIGHT display. Here it's seen (far right) with a Galaxy S2 on the left (t989), Galaxy Rugby Pro in the center (i547) for comparison in full sunlight:

GOPR7489.JPG
  11. trailwhale

trailwhale n00b

Oddometer:
    Pretty cool what you are doing for the tech/time limited crowd. Your package seems pretty solid.

Seems the biggest bang/buck combo for the masses would be a package that would include a phone like a Mann Zug 5 or such..... a one stop done deal. Carrier compatibility could be an issue but is overcome able. Standalone units using BT or WAN with primary cell phone as a network point could allow cheaper device options. Devices really need to be "rugged" -I say this because my S4 is starting to have issue with the jarring ride on my dirt bike.......

Personally using an Galaxy S4 / Ram Aqua Box 20 -hate it the lens tear all the time, with ORUX maps and PDF Maps. I don't use routing at all so far. At some point will upgrade to a phone like a Zug S5. I will remain a Verizon customer just because rural area coverage is just better overall....
  12. Myway

Myway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Next time make also a picture switching the phones, i can not say which is better, you saw it, but picture does not prove it.
    The angle to the screen.
  13. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a picture of my phone with Locus Pro installed. My phone is the same as Kag's, shown perviously. It's a Doogee Y100X, about $90 on eBay. I'm using it without a cellular connection. I use WiFi to download the offline maps, then switch to them in Locus and Bob's your Uncle.

[​IMG]

:ricky
    highnoonhunter and ohgood like this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I completely agree about using a rugged phone/tablet instead of one that needs a waterproof box/case/bag. It's so much nicer to just -not-care- about the environment around it, and just USE it instead of fiddling with cases/stuff. It's funny you mentioned the Mann line of phones, a LOT of the less expensive (I won't say cheaper since they all come from the same factories) phones have dual sim slots now, and a good many of them are unlocked, so any carrier can be used. The tie-in of carrier + phone is finally starting to die in the USofA. Yay !

It's very difficult to show the differences in displays, in a picture. In person it's much more dramatic what a decent IPS display looks like in full sun vs a phone just a couple of years older. I would like to show it better, but like i said, it's very difficult to capture. :)
  15. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    I do not know anything about the phone I purchased and sent other than lots of good reviews on how the phone program ran and it being pretty tough with good glass and water resistance. Plus a decent battery and microsd slot I paired with a 32gb card.

I only turned the phone on once after I installed the battery and it had a bright crisp screen appearance. Maybe I got lucky and picked a decent one.....very stoked about the whole prospect of having a solid off road GPS that did not cost me $800. Once I learn to use it I will upgrade to Locus Pro.
  16. Swan3609

Swan3609 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a S4 that I keep around just for a "disposable" phone for using when I ski, bike, moto.. I have a life proof case for it. I use my Note 4 everyday and just swap SIM cards to the S4 as needed. It works well for me.

I may be interested in this, I was going to buy a standalone GPS, but aside from the short battery life, I think a phone would be a better option.
  17. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Battery life is fine when using offline maps and sane screen usage. If you just like to have the screen on all the time, it's going to have to be plugged in to last 12 hours on the bike. Without constant screen usage, and using offline maps (with airplane mode) you can get much more battery than you want to ride. I've seen over 30% battery left after 12+ hours of use this way.

The S4 is a good device. Since it's a generation old now, you should be able to pick up a handful of extra batteries for less than $20, if you don't like plugging in:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&qid=1446397586&ref_=sr_1_7&s=wireless&sr=1-7
  18. Swan3609

Swan3609 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have about 4 Anker Batteries for my S4 floating around. And I never thought about battery life in airplane mode.. I am always so used to just swapping SIM cards and having the S4 on mobile network, but I guess if I was going to have it be a dedicated GPS device, than airplane mode would definitely make it last long enough for most of my rides.
    ohgood likes this.
  19. trailwhale

trailwhale n00b

Oddometer:
    S4 battery life in Airplane Mode and two mapping apps running with one storing a track is very good IME
  20. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:
    So the phone arrived back today. Turned it on and Locus is there. I played a little bit with it tonight but what I need to do now is no bs learn to use it. SO This weekend its crash course time so I can put this thing to good use. I'll be reading the thread again on Locus and watching youtube plus playing with it.

Huge Thank You