Setup your rugged Android for all things GPS ?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ohgood, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

Most excellent ! Thanks for taking the risk of sending your brand new phone to me for a quick setup. A lot of people would be skeptical of this kind of thing, understandably.

I was pretty impressed with that device, I may pick up one of their devices the next time I smash my rugby. :)
    scootertrog and kag like this.
  2. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ohgood,

Something you might consider for your custom setup. My experience using android phone running Osmand+ as a dedicated GPS. Phone has no data plan, using only GPS and in airplane mode while traveling across Mongolia. I found that the sensitivity of a smartphone screen and the tiny size of the app icons are a challenge to utilize while riding or with a gloved hand. Seems that something with the versatility of a smartphone yet the dumbed down workhorse nature of a dedicated GPS would be the sweetspot. After some basic research I discovered the below application launcher in the app store. There are others available, I have just experimented with this option. Basically it turns your home screen into a set of giant dedicated buttons that you can customize to your liking. I've set mine up with on/off toggles for wifi, gps, map apps and a screen brightness widget. These were all the basic functions I found myself constantly using while on the bike. The big buttons are easy to hit with a gloved hand and provide simplicity to an otherwise dynamic screen space. This particular app is free, but limits the customization of the buttons. $10 gets you the full version. No affiliation, just a suggestion to improve user experience.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Not a bad idea.
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:

that's pretty dang good thinking. thanks for pointing us all around towards a really good idea and application :-)
  5. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    Good idea, what is the app called ?

;)
  6. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google Play Store search for Big Launcher. There is a free version, but it limits the buttons that you can customize. The $10 pay version removes these limitations. From the app page.... "A fast and simple Android interface for seniors and people with vision problems.
    Or even you, if you hate millions of icons."
    ohgood likes this.
  7. webmonstro

webmonstro A Aventura Continua....

Oddometer:
    That makes me feel old ... :(

;)
  8. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ha, makes me laugh that an app targeted at seniors works well for adv riders. Next I'll borrow my mom's jitterbug phone so i can make calls easier while riding!
    ohgood likes this.
  9. howardbell

howardbell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm taking my Droid maxx down to a local guy to repair the broken screen (don't ask how it broke... I keep a tight lid on my emotions till that cork blows under pressure and whatever is in my hand at the time just gets hucked - I know I need serious counseling and my ex wife would agree), when he gets it done, I will definitely send it your way, first 10 or not, this is something that I would love to have and I lack the time and skill-set. I have read through this thread and I didn't see what you will charge once the "promotion" is over?
  10. ohgood

Oddometer:

i dunno. it gets faster/easier every time:
    install locus, superbeam, graphhopper
    superbeam over maps and graphhopper datasets
    about an hours worth of effort now, if the phone isn't super weird or have directory issues lke some android versions do

i've only done this for 5 phones, so it's not a big hurry. hopefully the process is getting so simple/easy that folks are doing it themselves, OR just not giving a patoot, and riding instead of worrying with a silly gps screen in front of them ;-)
  11. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:

yes, it's a very good device.
  13. jonz

Oddometer:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casio-GzOne-Commando-C811-4G-LTE-16GB-Black-Android-RUGGED-Verizon-Smartphone/371309812342?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20150313114020&meid=182210264181434ba4c2e3cc89d71de5&pid=100338&rk=1&rkt=22&mehot=pp&sd=381043729917

Would this phone work for this project? edit: I don't care about tracking

I ordered one and should have it early next week. If you're still interested in setting these up, that would be great and let me know what I need to do. If not, I'll try to figure it out myself. I've been increasingly unhappy with Garmin and my old 478 will be my last moto GPS from them.[/QUOTE]
  14. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    if you guys are having battery life issues and have a battery tender lead on your bike they make a usb adapter that plugs into it.. So you run a 3 -4 ft cable from there to your bars and voila no battery problems and the phone can live on your bike.
    XFanMan likes this.
  15. XFanMan

XFanMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These work great and are inexpensive. I have dedicated USB ports on my Trophy and XR650R but have this same setup on my KTM!
  16. howardbell

Oddometer:
    Well, my $38 Commando C811 arrived the other day and it's well.... a $38 phone ;-) you get what you pay for. The screen is scratched up pretty bad, but it seems to function fine. I was curious jonz the condition of your phone?

ohgood - I'm messaging you privately for your address and any other particulars if you are still running beta test on your initial idea/ program to set up these rugged phones for dual sport navigation. I am a complete idiot when it comes to all things gps navigation -- I've never even built tracks, converted to a route and followed it on my bike, I'm still a luddite following paper maps and getting lost most of the time... if this can help me and I can comment along the way my process, than this should be able to work for ANYONE...
  17. jonz

Oddometer:
    Mine just got here. The screen is good and the rest is scratched up. But seems okay so far. I'm shopping for a microSD card right now.
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

Thanks - pm replied, and info attached. Shouldn't take long at all. :)
  19. howardbell

Oddometer:
    I'm psyched this worked out and you posted that ebay link, $38 for the phone, even in the beat-up condition mine came in, should still perfect for this project.

I ordered this 32gb card off Amazon for $14 to go along with my phone -- best price I could easily find (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M55C0NS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00).
  20. howardbell

Oddometer:
    So excited to do this! It's on it way to you now.

... and if jonz sends you his Commando and its nicer than mine, switch them for me would you ;-)