Setup your rugged Android for all things GPS ?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ohgood, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

I'm just happy it's the same models at the same time, much easier when power buttons are in the same place.

I usually take pictures immediately after receiving, and again before I ship them, in case the postal service has an oopsie. :-)
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Where's the unlike button :hmmmmm

:lol3
  3. O Captain My Captain

O Captain My Captain Upsetting the apple cart

Oddometer:
    Would a Moto G work well for a stand alone GPS? I'm thinking of getting one and not having cell service activated. Also, are they water proof?
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:
  5. O Captain My Captain

Oddometer:
    Is 8gb of memory enough or do I need 16gb? Phone has an SD card slot capable of 32gb.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:
    16gb would be a better idea, if you want to store satellite images or record video
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:
    howardbells' arrived this afternoon, should be back in the mail around lunchtime tomorrow. :)

sidenote: i forgot just how well casio makes a rugged phone. these Casio C811's have a good feel in the hand and are pretty snappy. nice hardware :)
    howardbell likes this.
  8. O Captain My Captain

Oddometer:
    Thanks, ohgood. Appreciate all your input on these GPS threads. :beer
  9. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Does that mean you're ready for mine???
  10. howardbell

howardbell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's great news! I was surprised to see how quickly that $5.95 flat rate USPS box made it from one coast to the next in 2 days. Again, for $38 that old phone (I say "old" because it's been ridden hard and put to bed wet, but from what I hear has fairly modern internals) should be a great test bed for a smart phone as gps application.

As ohgood mentioned in his initial post of this thread, I have sent him my used ebay smart phone (Casio Commando C811) and he has offered to do the following on a limited basis:

expectations, (your phone will be):
    *wiped of all user data (erased) and waiting for you to add your gmail account
    *completely updated, and ready to navigate to wherever in the USofA (the rest of the north american continent is available without extra charges, just ask please) with vector maps, GraphHopper data sets, and POI's for thousands of campsites/fuel/stuff.
    *livetracking setup so your spouse/dog/friends can track your epic rides in a browser via GPSies.com as long as there is a cellular signal to push data
    *automagical track recording with three profiles: street (low point count), dualsport (medium point count), fine (hiking, very high point counts) that starts each time the application is started, and saved automagically every x minutes
    *completely usable as a GPS device, without cellular service ever being needed again, aside livetracking, for obvious reasons
    *instructions for setting up FolderSync so all your data is backed up to GoogleDrive thrice a week

For the above services, I have agreed to give a full, objective and unbiased review of ohgood's process and service. Who am I? Nobody really, a long time lurker on this site with an abysmal post count. I have gleaned so much from this site over the years, and never actually contributed anything useful back in return, I always stay nice and quiet because I have never felt I have any skills to offer the community. I bought a Montana a few years back but that was fairly negative experience for me because I didn't put the time into it and ultimately sold it for a loss on this site (to great guy on here, Enumclaw, we still keep in touch from time to time actually) and went back to getting lost with paper maps. Between kids, being self-employed and over worked to death, and trying to date as a single dad, I just didn't want to go down the Garmin route again because I don't have the time or the money... Then I started reading more and more threads about smart phones as gps and I thought this might be a good direction for me, and when I came across this thread, it was a no-brainer. I would buy an old beat-up smart phone and send it to a strange man I had never met before and see what happens.

And so far, its going exactly as planned. Ohgood has been so super helpful; he asked me if I had any tracks I wanted him to upload to get started -- and I explained to him through PM that I didn't even know the terminology I needed to get this whole thing going... I didn't know what a track was from a route or a waypoint (I didn't know my ass from my elbow as my old man might say). Ohgood has the phone I sent him and when it gets back to me, I will do my best to go through and document my learning process and will review how helpful these gps tools are as I learn them from the start. If you already know your way around a gps unit, the computer-based software for planning a good dual sport weekend and the real-life use of these tools in the field, well, then what I have to say will be of very, very little interest to you, BUT, if you find yourself a little challenged by really useful gps tools (and again, in all honesty, I have never made any kind of track before or converted that track to a route and transferred that gpx file to a device to follow) then you might be interested in hearing how this process goes for me so you can have an easier time learning and hopefully make less mistakes than I do.
    highnoonhunter likes this.
  11. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh good, I watched a few of your YouTube videos that you have made about using your phone as a GPS and how to do a few things. One question I have on the videos is that there is no sound. Is this a problem on my end or is that just the way it is? Sure would be a lot easier to understand if there was someone talking you through what your actually doing? Or like I said maybe it's a glitch on my end. Thanks.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i really really really suck at voice overs.
  13. O Captain My Captain

Oddometer:
    Can you post a link to one of these youtube vids?
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    sure, just shoot me a pm and we'll get started
  15. trout'r

trout'r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm very interested in jumping on this bandwagon! i have been interested in getting a gps for some time...never took the step. mostly because of cost and hearing negative stuff about base camp. i live in a very rural area and have no cell coverage at my house and have never owned a smart phone. i'm populating the dinosaur age of flip phones and managing to get by.

after reading some posts above i looked at phones on ebay. narrowed down to the moto g, because of 5" display and the casio gzone because of durability. casio has a 3.5" display and might be better for pocket-ability but the larger moto-g would probably be easier to read on the bike. any strong recommendation either way?? which generation of the moto-g??

i have a bit to learn about smart phones (hey, i'm practically a senior citizen and slow to transition) and gps. i'd also like to use it for hiking as well.

would appreciate any\all suggestions.

looking forward to never stepping foot in base camp.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:

shoot me a pm (if you haven't already) and we will set it up. the moto g is a good choice, assuming 1st or 3rd generations. some people don't like the 2nd gen display. the casio commando (7xx series) is too old, too little memory. the casio c811 is much better, and will work fine, but not on the same level in display quality as the IPS displays like the moto g.

basecamp is just a program.... some people love it, but i think some people love installing anti-virus software and all the associated popups because it feels like they're doing something. ;-)
  17. trout'r

trout'r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cool..thanks. i have an s4 active being handed down to me in 7-10 days. i'll pm to get mailing info, etc.
    ohgood likes this.
  18. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    With the rapid rate at which these apps evolve and leave old technology behind, how long do you forsee an old phone remaining viable?

Paul
  19. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    3 years for sure, Maybe more. I think it all depends on what you have when you start.
  20. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see this project is evolving, love the free market pushing the envelope. Regarding keeping the phone charged while on the bike. A recent trip around Mongolia I was concerned about powering my Kyocera Torque running Osmand+ as I would be camping most of the trip. So I purchased a battery tender power lead and hooked it up to my Chinese rental bike before leaving the capital. I setup two Torque phones with identical apps prior to the trip. During the day while riding one phone was on the handlebars doing it's job while the other rested in my tank bag hooked up to the power lead via USB. This setup worked well for the trip. Best of all, no laptop loaded down with Basecamp trying to figure out routes and push to a Garmin unit for the next days ride. The modern smartphone and map applications are easy to use and readily browse and setup routes while lounging in the tent.
    ohgood likes this.