Setup your rugged Android for all things GPS ?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ohgood, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy crap ohgood, I didn't know it got that cold in Alabama. Are you having a cold spell or something? It was 46 degrees here yesterday and I thought that was cold, 31 at night. I R a wimp , hehehehe :vardy
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

it's pretty far off from our normal temperatures. usually freezing overnight, around 30-40 mid day
  3. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    Ohgood are you anywhere near Anniston?
  4. ohgood

Oddometer:
    depends on if you're walking or riding.... Birmingham, Alabama :-)
  5. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I travel to Anniston on occasion and one of these days I'll be going to the Barber museum, but I'm considering going on my own dime and taking in the civil rights movement sites around the state. Probably won't be this year though.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

I would space then out over two trips. there is a LOT to digest at Barber, and a completely different experience at the civil rights location. it would be like having a reflecting day in the mountains and then visiting a silicon valley think tank.... very different
  7. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    We got down to 1º on NYE. NYD the high was 6º Needless to say, I didn't do any riding. :lol2
    ohgood likes this.
  8. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I figured out how to enter "Developer mode" with the Nomu s10. There are quite a few interesting options in there and one of which is "allow the bootloader to be unlocked" I did some research on line and I guess there is various degrees of unlock provided by all the different systems out there. I unlocked mine but I don't see what it is doing. I tried to uninstall an app that came preloaded on the phone and it still would not do it.
    If you want to go to developer mode with your Nomu just go to settings, about phone, then long press on "Build Number" 4 separate times. You will see a little message everytime you long press it counting down the times to developer mode. When it goes there , after 4 presses then back space to apps and you will see a new selection just above About Phone that says "Developer Options" click on it and take a look around. I don't know if this is any use to any one or not but maybe someone that knows more then me can help out. I guess I don't really have to delete the Trojan as I have deleted my google account and phone numbers and contacts and the phone has no sim card. However I can not download any apps or updates to Locus without having a google account. :-( So I would really like to find a way to get rid of it. Or I may just have to buy a Duraforse.
    Here is a new link to how to root the Nomu s10 , not the Nomu s10 pro. Any one here want to attempt this for me. This is way over my head. :-)

https://romprovider.com/2017/10/install-twrp-root-nomu-s10/
  9. worstell

worstell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a Kyocera Duraforce Pro that I plan to use with Locus Map Pro. Is this the best thread to learn how to do that? I'll be using it to navigate the Transamerica Trail from Virginia to Colorado. Big thanks!
  10. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really.
    There is a dedicated Locus thread in the "GPS 101 - Which GPS for me" forum here
    Be aware that thread was started almost 4 years ago so Locus has had many upgrades since so some of the early stuff may be out of date, I read through it and try stuff, and generally it is easy to tell if something has been changed a little.
    climberevan likes this.
  11. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have read through that thread and it's a good one. I like to start at the latest posting and work my way backwards so I get all the latest info first. But then I have been arse backwards all my life. hahahahaha :-)
  12. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    It has probably be asked and answered but I hate searching from my phone but which navigation apps let you add your own custom POIs and how had is it to do I have a ton of custom POIs I use when traveling and like them to show up on the map as I am driving in case I want to make a detour and go visit one.
  13. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Locus is head and shoulders above anything else for this.
    AugustFalcon likes this.
  14. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just like chrisjk has said. Very easy to do in Locus. Lets say I am doing a circle route from Panamint springs in Death Valley to Ballarat down to Goler wash and then up and over Mengle pass over to west side road and then up to Furnace creek and back to Panamint. Suppose I have 12 POI's loaded for that route and they are all showing up so I know where all the things are I want to visit. But lets say I get a late start and I have time to stop at maybe two of these so I choose "Charles Manson's hide out and Mengle pass cabin. I can shut off the other ten so they don't clutter up the map and then visit the two I want to stop at. Or if I am riding faster then I normaly do I can just turn on another one to stop at if I don't know exactly where it is.

Are you already playing around with Locus ?
  15. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:

No I am not I put in on my phone just to see how it looked and worked but am real close to buy a duraforce pro and wanted to make sure that I could add and use POIs like I can with my old Zumo 550 (2006). I did seem to like OSMand better than Locus.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Osmand is very good at city navigation. It is lacking in off road capabilities. Either with navigate and/or plot a route via POI's and waypoints.

Generally I dismiss pois because they're rarely up to date. Waypoints get a lot more respect. :-)
  17. WF_Jester

WF_Jester n00b

Oddometer:
    Is the Duraforce Pro the best option at this time?

My POIs are cemeteries, Ghost towns, etc the sort of stuff that does not move to much :D
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

I would say the xd is the best for the removable battery.

Cemetery's totally move. Just try sleeping in a hammock in one...
  19. ThomasD

ThomasD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Duraforce Pro can be hardwired for charging. Best option for me.
    ohgood likes this.
  20. ohgood

Oddometer:
    1000 hmm
    DRONE likes this.