Setup your rugged Android for all things GPS ?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ohgood, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

copy that file into all the directories you want the gallery to skip indexing
  2. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks again ohgood , in the past there has been "nomedia" entries already loaded in locus. This is the new latest version. Is that still a bug or did yours load ok. I have no idea what directories to add to, there are a lot of icons.
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:
    youre always welcome, sir !

i dont remember when i learned about that. ill give yyou a full list of directories i have it in soon as i remember my linux bash search syntaxes, and can produce it! :-)
  4. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hahaha. I had a couple go arounds with Linux....didn't go to good....:baldy
    Is there any reason for those nomedia entries to not be there ? And is there a way to reload the new version?
    Thanks again ohgood :-)
  5. dflow

dflow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW as a follow-up to my earlier posting regarding unwanted screen rotation with OsmAnd+:
    I've installed the "Rotation Control" app and found that in addition to selecting the desired screen orientation the "guard" setting must also be selected in order for it to work with OsmAnd+.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A test ride is still required to prove it's usefulness/effectiveness but so far it seems to work in hand.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. ohgood

Oddometer:

i dunno. maybe it was removed so that the locus app could scan/find pictures for geotagging on the map. no idea really
  7. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    My other two phones with locus pro on them did not do this. I was looking for a way to re-load locus but all I come with is no matter where I try to down load from it says "installed" or "open" And I have no idea where to install "nomedia". I know I have seen this somewhere on my other two phones but now I can't find on those two phones. Thought maybe I'd get an idea where to find them.
  8. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Ok, bear with me a minute. :-) My 4 year old Asus "gsm unlocked" running on cricket, has been doing some weird things lately so I bought a refurbished Kyocera E6820 . When I install my sim card into the Kyocera everything works except I can not turn on the hot spot. I get a message from AT&T that says log into my at&t account and upgrade to plan that includes hotspot. I DO NOT have an at&t account. I have a cricket account and I have always been able to use the hot spot. This Kyocera was an at&t phone as when I turn it on I get the round white and blue at&t globe logo. So why is this happening and can it be changed some how. I checked the apn settings on the Asus and then with the sim in the Kyocera. They are the same. ??? Anybody have any ideas ??

9. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cricket uses the AT&T network.
  10. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

...and AT&T blocks device tethering from their domain unless you pay them.

One way around it is an app called PDa net. it used to be $16 and I have used that successfully with AT&T devices, but you need to have it on both devices.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    hmm, they must have changed something for their contact customers. non contact customers (me) can tether 10 devices at once, with Android 5.x
  12. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    The Kyocera also allows 10 devices but when I try to turn on the Hot spot I get that message. So like Tripped1 said they must block there phones from tethering somehow. Funny thing is I don't have an at&t contract it's with cricket and I know cricket uses at&t, so this must be done with the phone. The phone has an at&t logo on the back side. 3 or 4 years ago when I bought the Asus on line I went to a cricket store and signed up and stuck the sim card in the phone and all was well.
    ohgood likes this.
  13. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    I will look up that PDa app. Please tell me what you mean by both devices? What if I only had the Kyocera as a cell phone. If I get it to work with the Kyocera can I switch back and forth as that is what I had in mind. What if it was a gsm phone from another carrier ?
  14. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    You need the app on both devices

PDa net's direct Wifi app is called FoxFI, and AT&T won't let you use it, so you have to use a secured WiFI pairing

Annoying but it will get you around the AT&Ts ban
  15. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    On AT&T?

I run into that every time I go to the States they have tether disabled ....and by disabled I man removed from settings, AND the play store won't let you download legacy apps like FoxFi but you can pay them whatever per month use their crappy apps.

Turns out that most of my devices ended up being AT&T

So my options are root and find a stock Android (which is no picnic if you have ever played with the AT&T bootloaders) or go around them.
  16. ohgood

Oddometer:
    yes att branded
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm using a Galaxy S5. I have not used it in the rain yet. I'm 99% sure I can trust it but what about charging it while in the rain? I was thinking a dry bag / case over it with an Anker charger tucked inside.
    Am I overthing it? Right now I use the Deltran SAE to USB chargers.
    I did call Deltran and the said the charger is " weather resistant" and should be fine getting wet, not submerged.

Thanks
  18. ohgood

Oddometer:

take extra batteries and change them as needed. charge them over night.
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah that's a plus for the S5. I've got a few. Locus eats em up with my normal settings. Full brightness, display always on. I figure I can set the display to only come on before a turn etc. to help battery life. Rode all over and coast to coast by map and no cell phone. Now my dilemma is charging my GPS in the rain..lol