Setup your rugged Android for all things GPS ?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by ohgood, Oct 6, 2015.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

please see post #6 http://advrider.com/index.php?threa...oid-for-all-things-gps.1097943/#post-27775967 for updates. when i have a zip file (assuming all the app developers and data sets can be redistributed freely) i'll post a link there.

post six will be the only post i edit in this thread, from now on. i'll still post and be wrong, but won't edit any of them. just so that if anyone on any other forum wants to check up and see how my intentions have changed, it will be static. :)

anyway, i'll know more soon. thanks for the interest :)
  2. Kavan

Kavan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes, I'm interested. How's SangSumg Note 3? doable?

K.
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:
    One of the Note series has an image stabilization camera, that really doesn't like being shaken by a bikes vibrations. I can't recall which one it is, but wouldn't want yours to get screwed up in the process. The hardware specs and speed of that phone is fine, let me find out more and I'll get back to you.
  4. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Howdy gang,
    I sent ohgood my Casio 811 to do the installation and he sent it back promptly. I, however, was not real prompt as life intervened in the form of taking a 7 day class to get certified to teach beginning motorcyclists to ride and begin the process of getting their motorcycle driver's license endorsement. It wasn't until an hour ago that I unpacked it. As a typical man, I didn't read any instructions and just started playing with it. I pretty much immediately upgraded to Locus Pro for $7.50 mainly to get rid of the ads in the free version. Still without reading any instructions, I've found my California house location and have saved that, downloaded a .gpx track from this thread: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/no-wimps-trail-current-tracks-or-condition.1114026/, and am currently downloading Mexico maps. The Casio 811 screen is readable in direct sunlight though not amazingly so but workable. Now to order the RAM mount stuff to put it on my dirt bike.

Ohgood, thanks for doing this. Looks great so far
    EmmEff and highnoonhunter like this.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I almost had the s4 ready for a same-day drop in the mailbox, but missed the mail lady. Tomorrow your Verizon s4 is on the it's way back home. :)
  6. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ohgood, check your email. I have a few questions about changing out my 8g micro sd card for a 16-32g card. The 8g is way to small. It's filled up with only like 5 states. Also when I went to buy the Locus state maps it asked if I wanted to download both locus and oryx maps. If I said both it would say no room on sd card. Would only let me download the locus maps.

Lastly you need to narrate your YouTube videos so people can actually follow along with what your doing and what they are seeing. I know nobody like to hear there own voice talking but it makes the videos 100% better and easier to follow. I've watched your. Ideas before and am lost in 10 seconds because you have no idea what the persons is thinking or trying to do. It makes sense to you but not the watcher. Or maybe I'm the only one.

Thanks for all your help. Your a wealth of knowledge and willing to help. That's pretty rare. We appreciate it.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

Replied to your email just now. Earlier I thought it was a corrupted file (Rare!) but now I'm thinking it was a failing sdcard (still rare), and the solution should be fairly easy:
    drag the sdcard/locus directory to somewhere on your desktop
    install new 16/32Gb card
    drag the sdcard locus directory back to the new sdcard in the phone

if your computer doesn't see the phone's sdcard as removable mass storgage, it may be easier to use wifi for the transfers with an app like SuperBeam on both the computer and phone.

The narration suggestion is loud and clear. I'll get started on that right after I watch my buddy loop out his brand new beta a few times today ;-)
  8. FlyingFish

FlyingFish The older I get, the faster I was

Oddometer:
    OK, I'm all in. I have been watching for a while and decided to that a stand alone GPS is not for me. I just bought a new Moto G generation 3, a complete Ram mount system, 32GB micro sd card and a protective rubber case. Once it all arrives I will pack it up and send it off to you. I am into the off road exploration and the Garmin has not been very reliable, especially at 50+ mph.
  9. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I've replied to emails and pm's this morning. :) thanks for the interest guys.
  10. ThemanofTin

ThemanofTin Newbreed

Oddometer:
    So guys, you've all had a few months to digest all this info, whats the verdict? What's the best offline gps app for android? I have a Galaxy tab 4, 7", in an otterbox case, on a ram mount with a 64 gig sd card. I'm ready to pull the trigger on the full version of an app. Big props to ohgood for practically writing the book on this stuff!
    MichalW likes this.
  11. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    ThemanofTin
    What kind of riding do you want to do?
    Where do you want to use this app?
    How do you want to use it?

Here Maps is free, works offline, has downloadable maps. Mostly Road use.
    OSMAND and Locus both have free versions.
  12. ThemanofTin

ThemanofTin Newbreed

Oddometer:
    I ride almost exclusively in the forrest, on fire roads, with as few connecting pavement rides as possible.
    Main goal is to have a map of wherever im riding downloaded to the sd card. Or even a couple of sd cards. I would like to edit/upload tracks from friends or the interweb. Id like to be able to rely on all that to guide me when i dont know where i am or where im going.
    I just got osmand+, it was only 7$. I think i just need to play with it some more to really understand it.
  13. DaMonk45

DaMonk45 I B Da Monk

Oddometer:
    Exactly right.
    OSMAND will do pretty much everything you are looking for.
    Some like Locus for that, but I have yet to find anything that OSMAND
    cant do that I want.
    Well a few small things maybe but they are pretty minor.

Use the hell outta it for a few days and then think about
    what you wanted that you didn’t have.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    post 6 updated. please ship your device wrapped in bubble wrap, bubble wrap envelope, or similar manner that it cannot slip out of, cannot be damaged through, as I will return it in the same packaging.

yesterday a user received a damaged item, and i'm starting the claim process this morning. i'll update when i have updates, and i'm sure that user will also. hopefully it can still be a positive experience, i'll forward whatever usps provides to him, and hopefully make him happy in the process. :)
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Copied some files over to a Galaxy S5 Active, made coffee, and took a look at the maps/performance. WOW that screen is big, and bright ! Almost too big to use one handed. Fast too, with the entire USA in vector map, there was no lag at all. I had to check to make sure I loaded the right map, thinking it was just one state. Nope, that full 3.4Gb vector map file was just as smooth as butter.

Comparing that speedy machine to my old rugby pro was pretty sad. My phone isn't nearly as bright, and 1/4 as fast as the s5. Too bad it's going in the mail this morning, before I go cut singletrack, I would have liked to see how it performed out in the daylight, and test the gps with no sky visible through the trees. Maybe soon I'll upgrade to one of those :-)
  16. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    LOL, you think the S5 is big, try using a damn iPhone 6S +! :lol2 The S5's are getting pretty reasonable price wise. I picked up an unlocked 16 GB S5 last week for $345 off Amazon. Now I just got to get the CC insurance company to reimburse me for it.
  17. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. My S5 Active seems to be the perfect GPS phone.
    Albie likes this.
  18. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Best dang GPS I've ever owned!
  19. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
  20. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well don't do what I did. I followed what another user on here did and bought a Chinese Galaxy knockoff. It doesn't charge while plugged in and riding. I don't know if it's from vibrations on the XGrip mount or what. Also doesn't have a way for the screen to stay on while plugged in to 12v on the bike so the longest screen setting is 30 minutes then shuts off. So annoying. Not sure what I wanna do now. What I've found with the locus stuff I seem to like but I'd also like to figure out how to make it track up instead of track north. I hate riding along and seeing my arrow going across the screen instead of towards the top of the screen. Haven't figured out how to do that yet but I'm sure you can some how.
    ohgood likes this.