Seven motorcyclists killed in crash with pickup

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Snowbird, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    It had to be a group ride
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been reading about this elsewhere. Here's another couple of pics. From the skid marks it sure looks like the truck, which was towing a trailer, crossed over the line.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  4. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don’t assume a group ride. Easy to kill six when three couples are out riding together which I wouldn’t classify as a “group” ride.
  5. JaySwear

JaySwear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Group ride I'm sure. Not that they did anything wrong. From the moment I saw the headline I was positive it was a truck crossing the center-line. The real question is cell phone or fell asleep?
    Effendi and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, sad for all involved
  7. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe neither. Look at the size of the trailer vs the size of the truck. I honestly thought that was the guardrail until I looked more closely. I've towed lots of trailers before, and it's easy to go too fast, trailer starts to fishtail, and then the driver is just along for the ride.
    Tmaximusv and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sad day for everyone involved. Our thoughts are with them.
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    A trailer that size is well within that trucks towing capacity, but anybody may drive such a rig without any training, or a CDL.
    SmittyBlackstone and tankshooter like this.
  10. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Group ride,no group ride what's it matter? "I wonder if anyone was wearing a helmet?" The article typical of "modern journalism" offers little to no factual information only that there is carnage with images of destruction. Poor taste at best and IMHO irresponsible. No compassion for the deceased or those left behind which is then carried on here. Assholes.
  11. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    I'm now observing multiple instances of oncoming traffic crossing the center [usually double yellow] line every time I'm on a ride. This is particularly true on the country two lane ("B") roads that I prefer to use when attending to errands. The condition and width of these roads are sufficient to easily accommodate all vehicles, but for 18 wheelers (and even they can stay in their lane if they try) and the occasional large farm tractor. If I see either of them, I always shift to the right side of the right wheel track to give them a bit of extra space as a courtesy.

Otherwise, there's no reason to drive on or over the yellow lines, but for laziness or distraction.

When I come over a rise and the oncoming driver sees me, he/she will always move back into their lane, usually over-correcting a bit, only to drift back over after we've passed each other. It's instructive to consider why that occurs.

The foregoing is only anecdotal evidence, but this is what I, and my GoPro, recurringly witness. It's difficult to not believe that things are getting worse.

-------------------

As for the sad event linked in the OP's post, the pictures say enough.
  12. gen1fizzy

gen1fizzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's awful and I feel terrible for all involved.

I suppose riding in a tight group makes everyone more visible but in this case, I feel it cost some lives.
  13. Dave in Wi

Dave in Wi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Madison WI (40 Square Miles Surrounded By Reality)
    In an article posted last night they said the NTSB is investigating. I hope to learn what happened, it’s easy to speculate but none of us really knows.

Horrible situation. Apparently it happened right near where some of the group were staying.
  14. AirDrive

AirDrive Terminal No0b

Oddometer:
  15. Khantahr

Khantahr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    People cross the centerline in turns all the damn time, usually just a small amount, but that doesn't excuse it. It's laziness, and lack of attention to detail. Most driver's can't even make a left turn without driving through a car length or more of the oncoming left turn lane. Then they get all bent out of shape if there's a car waiting in that lane.

I've started honking sometimes at people over the centerline, they probably don't even know why I honked though.
  16. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw that this morning very sad news..
    chuppie likes this.
  17. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    dodge ram.
    drunk? texting? cell phone?
  18. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Jeez, wrong place wrong time again. :(
  19. Tmaximusv

Tmaximusv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t help that he was pulling a 30’ gooseneck equipment trailer.
  20. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Within the truck's "legal" towing capacity, maybe, but it's still unsafe.

Look at the size of the trailer. The trailer wheels are at the very rear of the trailer. That means the weight of the trailer is concentrated on the hitch/tongue at the rear of the truck. The trailer's weight is pushing down on the rear of the truck to a tremendous degree which raises the front of the truck to some degree. That completely alters the steering geometry of the truck making it unsafe. The truck is too small for that trailer.
    Scoozi, Algentry1 and Effendi like this.