Sex in Mex

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by offtheback, Nov 18, 2018.

1. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife (@Paiged) and I like to get out as much as possible together but life and children can make big trips difficult. So we are especially pumped that we were able to carve 2 1/2 weeks out to explore Copper Canyon and Baja. Up until now we have only done a couple overnights together and this will be our first “big” moto trip together.

We planned on getting all of our gear, route, paperwork and bikes together over past couple of weeks. Well, a few days ago it hit us. Holy fuck, we leave Monday!

The last few days have been a rush of getting the bikes prepped - wired for heated vests (going to be chilly up high), gearing changes, zero gravity batteries with jumpstart button (incase something gets left on), blah blah blah. The usual bike things you meant to do when you returned from the last trip but never did. Also getting most of our paperwork completed on line.

Finished the bikes up and they are loaded for a quick getaway in the am. Now it is time to pack, make copies of paperwork, and whatever else we are forgetting.

Itinerary:

Cross at Santa Teresa, NM and then try to beat it down to Creel.

Creel to Batopilas and then to Urique

We have to get the ferry Friday pm from Topolobampo to La Paz.

From La Paz we are still working on it. We are not just out to crush miles and want to do some kayaking, whale watching, and eating and drinking of course. Our Copper time is a bit short but we didn’t want to wait three more days to get the next ferry on Monday.

Most of our trips are loosely planned and seem to work out. Will see how this one plays out. Stay tuned.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're gonna have a great time! Cuautemoc (Hotel Tarahumara) is a nice little city if you find yourself running behind on daylight. You'll want to be off the road well before dark. Saludos.
    eakins, nk14zp, offtheback and 2 others like this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Dual sport rider

Oddometer:
    Enjoy, rode copper canyon years ago. Loved it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paiged likes this.
  4. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    following along, ride safe!
    best regards,
    johnnyg
    offtheback likes this.
  5. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A trip I hope to take someday. Coming along with you!

----
    offtheback likes this.
  6. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Did a similar route this past jan/feb. Fun AF! Enjoy!
    offtheback likes this.
  7. shotty_co

shotty_co Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yay ! I can follow along so now it's like I'm standing outside your tent!!

Have a fantastic adventure you guys!
    offtheback, Paiged and Omnimo like this.
  8. boxermoose

boxermoose Regressive airhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody in a Pint and a Half hats automatically a friend, Cheers & safe travels!
    jjustj, NMTrailboss and offtheback like this.
  9. CalamariKid

CalamariKid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Awesome dude and dudette! Looking forward to following along!
    offtheback likes this.
  10. txplants

txplants Pastafarian

Oddometer:
    I'm in.
  11. Omnimo

Omnimo Musgo Champ Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fwiw, I was recently in Barrancas del Cobre and can recommend Juanita's hotel and Carolinas restaurant in Batopilas as well as the hotel Paraiso Escondido in Unique.

Cheers!
    offtheback and Paiged like this.
  12. Paiged

Paiged n00b

Oddometer:
    Smashing start to our trip as I decapitated my phone. You know that weird iPhone storage slot in the Ford Transit door? Yeah don’t store your phone in it. “Would you look at that a perfect spot to put a phone how have I never noticed this before. Let’s roll!” FML

Attached Files:

pigjockey likes this.
  13. offtheback

Oddometer:
    Cover your ears and eyes. Lol
  14. offtheback

Oddometer:
    We saw them in Taos and started talking and realized I have followed their moto travels for years on here. Awesome music!
    jimmex likes this.
  15. snglfin

snglfin this statement is untrue

Oddometer:
    now it's an adventure!

best regards,

johnnyg
    Paiged likes this.
  16. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed on Juanita's and Carolinas.
    In January I did the Bato to El Fuerte route, and about the same as I remembered, but the Tubares to the asphalt was rough and water barred. Wasnt hard, just rough.

El Fuerte is a neat little town, 26.419238, -108.62127 is a super cheap hotel, bike parking on the inside near the centro. hotel guererro.
    Have fun and eat the tacos on the street!!
  17. RoaringTodd

RoaringTodd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in for the sex
  18. offtheback

Oddometer:
    Well. Not sure if we will post any pics of that Todd. Let’s just say we made it to Chihuahua and is a banging morning.

IMG_3204.jpg

It took us a little longer to get going yesterday than we planned but it all works out. While packing the bikes in the hotel parking lot the usual parade of onlookers filed past, checking the bikes and us out with the look - Take me with you! A older local man, Joe, stopped and started chatting with @Paiged, maybe my beard makes me unapproachable? We talked about our plans and he mentioned how he regularly travels across the border and helped calm the nerves in my mind about issues we may face. With the usual caveats we all know - don’t drive at night, don’t look for trouble, party but don’t walk around towns late at night, etc..

We missed getting to El Paso on time to finalize storing our van and trailer in a U-store place and pour back up plan of using the hotel parking lot came into play. Joe mentioned he has a local HVAC business with a large secured yard and that we were welcome to park there. Offered and taken! Wondering if our vehicle would still be waiting for us would have always been on my mind a little.

Van secured and the bikes loaded and fueled, we headed towards the Santa Teresa crossing. We knew it was a one stop crossing and I asked a soldier as we entered where the check in was to get a vehicle permit. He told me Chihuahua. My Spanish is less than fluent and that didn’t seem right. We stopped just after crossing and discussed this and decided to go back to the main building. Walking up I saw the Immigration sign that I missed as we rode past.

Vehicle permits, visas obtained and passports stamped. Another check box that the trip was moving forward. Comments on another thread questioned people getting all their paperwork completed online. At first I was taken back by the comments but after crossing you really don’t save much time. You will still have to go to the same windows, get copies made and have all your documents reviewed.

About a mile after the border is a large Pemex station with a money exchange, another thing we had yet to do.

We also could have saved some time and bought the replacement phone for Paige at the large Foxcon plant. Kidding.

People have said the road down is boring but we found it pretty nice. Mountains around, groves of trees and cotton fields. The wind was brutal though. One of the few times I miss the weight of a “big” adv bike. I also wore my dirt helmet and slabbing at speed with wind coming at me quickly reminded me why I went to a dualsport helmet and me regretting this decision. I only heard the occasional high note of the music in my headset. My other helmet is a Schuberth, heavy and not well ventilated. Give and take.

View attachment 1436563

I had issues getting the E32 map loaded on the Montana 680, another pre trip to do that I kept saying I will get to tomorrow but never did. Alvaro from E32 is great and I think I have it all sorted now. Not that navigating is too crazy right now.

We had hoped to make the Mennonite hotel, as suggested, but the late getting moving and other little things added up so we headed to Chihuahua. The short days of traveling this time of year will definitely play a role.

We were not planning on luxury living but splurged on the Ramada Encore and the restaurants close to it and the other hotels in this area. We were looking forward to simple street food and were forced to eat at what the front desk said is the best restaurant in town, Mochomos. I had one of the best steaks of my life. Plus a tasty tres leche. I am going to have to respiring my bike if eating like this continues.
    IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg

We didn’t take too many pictures today and nothing too exciting for everyone. But in the short amount of time we can say the people are very friendly and helpful. Trying to change our ferry reservations so we can spend more time in the canyon.

Thanks and stay tuned.
    joenuclear, BikePilot, scudo and 5 others like this.
  19. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    I had my iPhone screen replaced at a shop in San Miguel de Allende. It cost about twenty dollars US equivalent and they did it in about fifteen minutes. I'm guessing there are similar shops in other towns in Mexico, so you might ask around if you spend a day or so somewhere if you brought the phone with you.

Vinnie
    Paiged and offtheback like this.
  20. offtheback

Oddometer:
    We made it to Creel - nothing exciting, slab. It was a bit chilly and had some margaritas by the fire at the Best Western. Creel is expensive and touristy. IMO
    IMG_3223.jpg

Woke to a bit of a frosty morning and headed out to Batopilas.
    IMG_0079.jpg

Then to Batopilas. More pavement. Beautiful town and we slept at Señora Monsé’s place. The place is beautiful and hopefully the paved road doesn’t ruin the charm. There were a few areas of rockfall, one area had boulders the size of a house and two guys were working with a jackhammer on it. Good luck. We also passed and Tarahumara guy carving up what was left of a cow carcass on the side of the road. I always thought the clothes they wore were just for the documentaries and my presumptions were wrong. Video of that coming.

IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0115.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg

Rode 2 up, nuts to but for some gas guidance in Bato.
    IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg

We decided to go a different route and not go through Urique and headed south and venture through Choix. Big day that was filled with water crossings, a couple get offs, incredible scenery. Beautiful route that has some fast sections and areas that will get your attention. Paige was awesome on her first big day off road with a full loaded bike. I am a lucky man. Needless to say we are worked a bit after over 31k of elevation change in just over 100 miles. Having some cervesas and then sleep. Also some awesome hotdogs!

IMG_3229.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0175.jpg
    Saso, slime, ROAD DAMAGE and 14 others like this.