Sex in Mex

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by offtheback, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. That rio gets deep in spots
  2. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    Check ahead on the ferry to LaPaz.It was not running for a while,and then for freight only.If you find yourselves in Bahia Concepcion drop me a pm.Ride safe.
    offtheback likes this.
  3. offtheback

offtheback Chocolate Starfish Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. We heard something about the ferry also and will confirm. We will be heading through there and will PM when we know a timeframe.
  4. offtheback

Oddometer:
    We are waiting to load the ferry to La Paz in Topolobampo, it is running!

We spent a couple nights in El Fuerte and explored the area. Beautiful city with a lot of history and great people. We stayed at the Rio Vista but if we were to do it again we would stay at the Hotel Choza on the square. You pay a bit extra for the view of the river at the Rio Vista. The place is also a bit dated and after our shower we found our gear sitting in a puddle because there wasn’t a lip around the shower and it drained a bit out the door.

Some of the best food was found off the square at night from the street vendors. We tried the sushi place and were not impressed at all. It was recommended so we tried it.

Hotel Posada is also very nice with a gorgeous courtyard and hummingbird feeders in the bar. At night the hummingbirds are replaced by bats, that was a first.

Looking back we would have stayed another night in Bato and explored the area or into Urique if it was a bit safer. The other option we weighed was going back to Creel and then the route on the north side of the canyon. We also would have ridden a more dirt route from the border. All experiences to take home and plan for our next trip down.

Most guys grow the adventure beard on trips. I have grown tired of always having stray hairs in my mouth and trying to keep it trimmed. So I had it shaved off!

Now onto Baja. We are going to stay a night in La Paz and do some snorkeling with whale sharks!

IMG_3354.jpg IMG_3355.jpg IMG_3357.jpg IMG_3356.jpg IMG_3358.jpg
    View attachment 1442726
  5. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just about to bail out of this ride report... where the heck is the "sex" in "sex in Mex"?? wtf?

Then I saw it.. that 701. Everyone knows.. that's just sex on wheels. Ya baby!

(slightly biased opinion)

Great pics.. lovin it!
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    you may have also purchased some ADV gear too?
    http://fattees-printing.com/
    offtheback likes this.
  7. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you get all bit up by the tiny black gnats in el fuerte? They absolutely destroy me when im there, for what ever reason they love my gringo blood...
  8. offtheback

Oddometer:
    I look like my legs were sprayed with buckshot! They itch a and are also swollen from them, see pic in the update below.

The ferry went off without a hitch. Many reports and guidebooks recommend skipping Topolobampo and for travelers to just go right to the ferry terminal. We met another US couple driving their car that stayed in Topolobampo and enjoyed it. There are some good restaurants and beach front, also a few Airbnb places. Next time we would get a place in Topo and then relax there and not sit at the terminal for hours while waiting to board. Although it is amazing to watch the dock workers load and unload a couple hundred semi trailers.

Getting into the port the bikes were weighed and measured and the port fee of about 60 pesos per bike. Keep track of the weighing and measuring paperwork because you will need it. Then check into get boarding passes. Once the ferry arrived we waited about 2 hours for our turn to board. Thankfully I packed straps for the bikes and we secured them to the deck.
    IMG_0502.jpg

We splurged for the cabin and were pleasantly surprised. They are pretty nice and had plenty of hot water. Paige said it was like a Silkwood shower from the pressure, I liked it. We also planned and took only a couple bags off our bikes with items we would need.

Once you leave your bike/vehicle you can’t return. Also, if you are driving you will be separated from the others in your party until you are in the ferry. Supposedly there is a thorough inspection of the passengers with dogs and such. The good isn’t anything special and is included with the tickets.

IMG_0418.jpg

We met a couple from Mexicali riding a Goldwing trike doing a tour and they helped us a long a bit. We had to wait a couple hours when we docked before our parking level was called and we could get to the bikes. Sunrise coming into La Paz.

IMG_0496.jpg

There was a little confusion about the time because we were told we lost an hour overnight to a new time zone. We planned a trip with Red Tours to swim with whale sharks and it was supposed to leave around 10 so we thought we were good with our supposedly losing the hour. We didn’t lose a hour, it took awhile to get off the ferry and then we had to stop and pay a small port fee. Then there were 4 more police and military checkpoints. Thankfully we were just waved through but missed the tour by 30 min. The people from Red were very understanding and we set up a tour for the next day.

So we checked into our hotel, Angel Azul, and decided to hit the beach. We took a taxi to Tecolote where I proceeded to get “Paiged”. My wife is known to take people down a rabbit hole of debauchery and being her spouse it has happened to me a time or two. Fun little beach with great places to eat and drink. Did I mention drinking and shots of tequila?

IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg

Paige met the owner of one and we were introduced to Victoria beer. Damn good! We were also almost coaxed into buying a two-stroke jet surfboard.

IMG_0455.jpg

Passed out in a taxi and hammock. Look at that smile on the she-devil.
    IMG_0494.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg

Rested and recovered we met with the guys from Red for some whale shark swimming and a tour of Espirtu Santo. It was incredible to be in the water with sea creature the size of a bus. Nothing like it. Unfortunately the video won’t post so it will come once we get home but here are some pics from our day with them. Incredible company that supports sustainable tourism with a community service arm that does projects across Baja to support marine life and communities in need. We also swam with sea lions and learned about the history of the area. There was once the second largest mother of pearl oyster farm on the island and that is reason La Paz became the capital over Loreto.

LRG_DSC02773.jpg
    LRG_DSC02775.jpg
    IMG_0521.jpg
    IMG_0508.jpg

The hotel staff allowed us to put our bikes in their beautiful courtyard. Since we had to miss the tour the first day we decided to stay another night here. Oh the horror. It is several blocks off the Main Street but you don’t have to listen to cars blaring music all night. They have a honesty bar and open kitchen for you to cook your own meals. We highly recommend this place.

Appears my phone is broken from being mounted to my bars and isn’t focusing very well. Sorry for the blurry pic.
    IMG_3495.jpg

We are packing up and getting ready to head north to Agua Verde/Rancho San Cosme.
    Saso, princess jamaica, slime and 4 others like this.
  9. Todd157k

Todd157k Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    wow... nice stuff!

let me know when you want to adopt a father. :ricky :kumbaya
    offtheback likes this.
  10. Phlyn' Phil

Phlyn' Phil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they swell up and hurt, they're gonna be there for a while. enjoy baja!!
    offtheback likes this.
  11. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love your bike. looks like fun, I can't wait to make a similar trip soon! thanks for sharing.

where are those gnats? I'm gonna avoid that place i think.
    offtheback likes this.
  12. locrwln

locrwln Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great write up! I know it sounds weird, but if you have access to nail polish (choose your color), cover the bites with it. Depending on how much you have scratched will depend on how much it burns, but it's the only thing that stops the itching for me. Makes them heal in about two days max.

Jack
    offtheback likes this.
  13. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We were told by locals to use neosporin mixed with some lime juice.
    I didn't try it, but my wife says that it works.

Someone also told us that cat urine works well to remove the itch. :lol3
    Maybe my "Spanglish" didn't translate that perfectly .................................. but maybe it did! :D

FUN TRIP!
    Thanks for taking us along.

RD
    offtheback likes this.
  14. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Check out San Francisquito on your way north; one of my absolute favorite places. Call ahead so they'll have gas and food (yummy fish tacos). Saludos.
    offtheback likes this.
  15. Paiged

Paiged n00b

Oddometer:
    They let us back into the US! Such an excellent trip, so much to share. We will retroactively post some updates ASAP

Attached Files:

shotty_co, jimmex, snglfin and 2 others like this.
  16. Hayduke

Hayduke ///SAFETY THIRD/// Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey, nice hat! ;) A friend pointed me to your thread! So glad; it was great to meet you guys in Taos!
    Paiged, offtheback and jimmex like this.