SgtMarty Colorado KLR Tech Day May 20, 2017

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by SgtMarty, Feb 17, 2017.

1. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Okay, I have a pretty full schedule through the Spring, so May 20th is the only safe weekend for me to host a tech day. I won't be available much before that, so save up your broken bike pieces and mystery parts and bring them all down here on May 20th.

Plenty of advanced notice.

Details will be up soon at SgtMarty dot com.
  2. theofam

theofam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Beer Pannier will be driving back from a shamrock tour of Hot Springs, Arkansas, thus I will be unable to attend. Hope you and Laurie are doing great!
  3. AWDacious

AWDacious Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know how to lace a rim? I can bring the hub and spokes and the rim. The WR450 I got must have gone through a wall...
  4. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible

Oddometer:
    It's a slow/tedious/boring process... Did it many years ago on my 525.
    If a spoke torque wrench and appropriate driver for the spoke nipples is available I can help out with that.
    Hub/rim, spokes, nipples... grease (should have plenty of that around)... I did the alignment on my bike, doing that you'll need a stand that gets the wheel entirely off the ground. Otherwise a wheel balancing stand will do the trick.

On my calendar. :thumb
  5. blakeloydmaloney

blakeloydmaloney Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm shooting for this to be my first tech day attendance. Picking up a new to me klr this weekend.
    Proveick likes this.
  6. AWDacious

Oddometer:
    This is the only part I need help with. I just don't want to for over $90 for a torque wrench I'll only use every couple years. Anyone have one?
  7. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Not me. Hopefully someone else.
  8. gregkzoo

gregkzoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe it's needed? In 40 years of riding, I've never had one. I kinda adjust to where it gives a squeak. I do ride a drz though!! That being said, I have ruined one wheel by being lax.

Sgtmarty, I know you do the klr, but could I show up with a drz? I want to try to smooth out my wheel vibration. Something Ive never been successful with on my 50/50 setups.
  9. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Any bike is welcome. We might not have specialty tools or parts for all bikes, but someone usually knows something about whatever bikes need wrenching on.
  10. ktmdoc

ktmdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping that Amy and her new to her KLR and my KLR build will be able to make it. Ned us to bring anything
  11. bmiller59

bmiller59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there a KLR 650 tutorial somewhere that a guy can research the history of the bike and compare all the versions?
  12. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
  13. SgtMarty

SgtMarty Retired, baby!

Oddometer:
    Aside from your wonderful selves, we're still looking for commitments for dead animal flesh to burn, adult-ish beverages, and breakfast stuff.
  14. limey11

limey11 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marty, I plan on attending, love your tech days. I'll bring some malted goodness.

Question: Do you have a welder ? need to fix my sidestand on DR.
  15. cfr

cfr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone real good at diagnosing rich/lean conditions? I did the KLX needle and L-mod last year and I think it could be tuned a little better by someone who knows what they're doing (I've added a fuel screw and fiddled with it to no avail). Even if I could get someone else to ride it and say, "Yep, that's normal".
  16. AWDacious

Oddometer:
    Speaking of jetting, that's probably what I'm going to be working on. I need to rejet the XR600R. Right now it's just drinking gas like crazy. I think I can lean it out slightly and help that.
  17. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible

Oddometer:
    I've got a couple more stickers that need to go on my sled... outlet for a heat gun should be all I need.
    [​IMG]

Edit: Rest of the wrap is coming off the printer right now, it'll go through the laminator and knife tonight, ship in the morning :clap
  18. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake!

Oddometer:
    It's probably your float valve, jetting alone won't usually make a significant amount of difference. If the float valve is not acting correctly, it tends to dump gas a lot.
    SnowMule likes this.
  19. AWDacious

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. It's not dumping out the air box like a stuck float, the bike just gets real bad gas mileage... Maybe I just ride it too hard.

Would it still be the float?
  20. jet123

jet123 Using all my gears

Oddometer:
    If someone is going from the FtC area, I have a free Gen1 skidplate with (3) maybe all (4) clamps to donate. Not sure the brand, it's used, but no cracks or repairs... and better than oem.

PM to coordinate a handoff