Shall I go for a '07 Uly?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by Ilbrujo, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Ilbrujo

Ilbrujo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi folks.
    Been out here for too long... and now I'm back to ask almost the same thing...

The fact is I had three bikes until last month... finally managed to sell my KTM 990 Adventure S and I'm willing to sell my Kymco 400i ABS as I'm a bit bored of it. Of course, I'll keep my '03 955i Daytona, almost hitting son its 100k km score.

The fact is suddenly a very well cared Uly (XB12X), low mileage and a low Price (due to some circumstances). I know its history records and it looks a Candy for me: I always liked this bike.

I am now trying to recover every information I gathered like 7 years ago but I would like to refresh it with some of your experience by now.

I have already managed about to buy a trunk set, assuming there is no extra issue between the X and the XT...

But one of my worries is still there: spare parts. Even if my mechanic is a XB12 freak, I am balancing this purchase due to this fact. HD told me there will be no problem... but seems to me a non binding statement. Belt reliability just scrares me a bit as I use to squeeze bikes around here...

Well: can I just read pros and cons from you updated up to today?
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    I wouldn't worry about parts availability here in the US, but I'm not sure in your case. I guess the internet should make it a non-issue for you also, especially with your mechanic. Belts lasted me close to 20,000 miles, but keeping a spare around might help with your concerns.

Personally, I'd be more nervous about the 2007 - some were cursed with bad cranks, but that usually only becomes an issue at higher mileage. Mine only made it to 43,000 miles. :(
    TeepS likes this.
  3. TeepS

TeepS Full Circle Rider

Oddometer:
    As Florida Lime said some '07s suffered crank failures, but there was plenty of warning before the end.
    Far as parts goes, it's been ok until you need something and find it's on eternal back order.
    Front engine mounts for instance have been on backorder since summer; current estimated delivery March 2017.
  4. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 that the main worry with a 2007 model is possible crank failure. Most give up at around 30,000 miles (DAMHIK). I haven't yet read of a catastrophic failure; generally the engine develops a knock that progressively gets worse over a few hundred miles. What's failing is the needle bearings used in the big ends of the connecting rods and/or the crank pin on which the bearings ride. It is possible to replace the pin and bearings but most people that have repaired theirs just substitute the 2008-up crank and rods assembly. The 2008-up engines have a larger crank pin and bearings, as well as stronger connecting rods. The price of the parts (crank, bearings, and gaskets) is about $1000 US. The low price for the bike you're considering may make this possible expense worthwhile.

The only way you might predict an impending failure is to send off a sample of your oil at each change for a used oil analysis. Metal will likely show up long before the problem becomes audible.

Parts availability hasn't been a problem yet. An excellent source for parts in Europe is Twin Motorcycles in the Netherlands; check out their website for info.

The best precaution for the belt is to buy a new one as soon as you get the bike. Install the new belt and save the old one as a spare. A used belt has stretched somewhat, is more limber and is easier to install, especially if you're doing a roadside repair. Typical belt life seems to be around 30,000 miles, but that can vary significantly (longer or shorter).

Oh yea, your XB12XT bags will work fine on the X; they're the same.
  5. Ilbrujo

Ilbrujo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your replies.

The bad crank is one of my worries when I knew it was a '07 model. I'll talk with my mechanic-mate to see in advance if ot can be dealt. I sincerely haven't got any statistics about this failure... hope crossing fingers will work, huh?

"The only way you might predict an impending failure is to send off a sample of your oil at each change for a used oil analysis. Metal will likely show up long before the problem becomes audible."
    - I can check that without problems. What metal should appear? I assume it's be steel but...

Fot the spares shortage... well, it's not a worry itself. I know it works and probably there will be someone to manufacture something in the next future, assuming prices won't be cheap, if they do it.

"Oh yea, your XB12XT bags will work fine on the X; they're the same."
    - I assume fittings are meant for both, aren't they?

For the range, I've been told something I don't believe. I assume 250km / 300km can be reached with a single tank. Am I wrong?

Looking forward to receive the quotation from the shops to handle final numbers and dive into it soon...
  6. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    We've attempted to compile some records on the crank failures at Badweather Bikers, but this is hardly a representative sample: http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/3842/648773.html?1367497689

Yes, I believe steel/iron would be the primary wear product. The cage for the needle bearing is silver plated so that may show up as well.

Yes, the luggage brackets are the same for the X or XT.

The 2006/2007 models will get around 50 MPG. I used to routinely go 180 miles (290 kilometers) before the low fuel light would come on which leaves a safety margin of about 30 miles. After my crank failure I installed a complete 2009 engine which I've found gets significantly poorer fuel mileage; I rarely exceed 150 miles on a tank now.
  7. unlucky1

unlucky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They're cool bikes. I have an 07 with engine problems in my garage right now. I plan to swap the engine and turn it into a XB9 ST with a fairing kit and Lightning Long suspension and keep the cases.
  8. mississippimadman

mississippimadman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I say go for it, the Ulys are a good bike and sounds like you already know the cons to look for plus you have a mechanic that's a fan
  9. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: