Share a shipping container to Chile in Fall of 2020?

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by tellicotom, Nov 14, 2019.

1. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm interested is shipping 2 bikes from Savannah, GA to Valparaiso, Chile in fall of 2020. I have a quote for a 20 ft container for about $2600 for 2 bikes and $200 for each additional bike. The container will hold 10 to 12 bikes.

Alot of details to work out, but is there any interest??

There is a full solar eclipse on 12/14/2020 in Chile..
    WANDRR likes this.
  2. WANDRR

WANDRR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. Let's stay in touch and see if we can fill the container.
  3. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might be interested. Planning on going back just haven't decided when and how.
  4. tellicotom

tellicotom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have either of you shipped to SA before? It's hard to get good information on the process such as documents needed, do I need an Agent or Broker in SA, and how does insurance work?
  5. DKW1200

DKW1200 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chile 2015 copy 2.jpeg I have shipped ocean freight from LA to Valpo Chile twice. Returned once from Lima via ocean and once from Guayaquil via air freight. You will need an agent in the US and in SA. You may not need a broker that works between you and shipper on our end if the shipper is willing /able to perform the paperwork. But when the container arrives at the port you want a qualified broker to help import the bikes. I used the same guy twice in Chile. He was very helpful and knew the port master. So getting the bikes was simple and quick. He did ask me to bring him 2 pair of new Levis since they cost twice as much in Chile lol. Shipping insurance was optional but short of the container sinking I didnt see much need for it since I secured my bike in the container and felt it wasn't coming loose. I have several contacts and a large file of info if you're interested. I am also planning again for next year. Probably via container but don't want to be gone for the holidays so will plan to arrive in SA in January. PM if you want more info. Thanks, David
  6. WANDRR

WANDRR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    David, are you planning on shipping January of 2021?