1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Share your tips for emergency motorcycle riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Sal Pairadice, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    The current series of crises have certainly put a crimp in my riding, and probably many of you.But I continue to ride. I would like to know how riders are adapting , regarding eating on the road, bathroom breaks, routes, overnight accommodations, extra gear, safety tips, or just ways you are adapting to the situation right now.

Just focus on motorcycles, gear, food, routes, camping or accommodations. Stuff that everyone can relate to or use for a trip. Let's be big boys and just avoid obviously provocative things so that we can help each other adapt and ride comfortably and safely. When someone eventually does post a provocative thing, ride past it and keep the motorcycle conversation going.

So what are you doing to adapt in your area and on routes?
  2. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty much business as usual for me as most of the challenges are no different than what I face all day, every day as a P&D driver.
  3. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Packing food and water. I have had MREs in my food store for eleven years; all this as caused me to take them down, and try a few. They're still good but that won't be true forever - I have to rotate through them.

Taking them with me, is an easy way to avoid contacts. I've always carried water; now I make sure I have enough for the time out.

And it's only day trips. Motels, I don't trust, at this point. Later this season I'm going to try to do Old Route 66, but it will be by van - the van will be my base-camp sleeping box. I'll trailer or pack my Versys X.

I should point out that I'm in the susceptible demographic. The virus has been a fizzle, but not for everyone. It seems to knock older victims down with distressing frequency...
  4. Gone in 60

Gone in 60 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've packed a bag in my trunk with a mask and several gloves. If I want to make a stop along the road for a store or something, I don't want to be caught without a mask to walk in with.

Many of the gas stations in my area that usually have dispensers for "gas gloves" and hand sanitizer at the pumps have given up restocking them. I can gas up with my thinner gloves on, no problem, but for thicker gloves, I'd rather just put on a rubber one before I touch a pump. I've also made sure to keep a few bottles of water and energy bars to avoid the need to walk into a convenience store.

This stuff is in the interest of keeping my coworkers healthy if I'm going to work, as many of them are being very cautious. My other riding is for wellness checks on my elderly Mom and Mom-in-law, both of whom are over 80 and in the biggest target groups.

As far as riding, with more home deliveries of food and products than ever, when I'm on residential streets, I'm being extra careful to watch out for drivers who look like they are searching for unfamiliar addresses - watching hand movements on phones, sudden swerves, braking, etc.

Over the last few days, I've been checking the news and traffic apps before I head to or from work. Some of the protests have been fairly close to, or on the routes to my work and home, and I've been checking road and ramp closures.
    Traxx likes this.
  5. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing greatly out of the ordinary except all my riding since mid-March has been commuting-only (I'm "essential" so I've been working FT all along). I take longer and twistier routes to/from work, but it's not the same as before. Neck tubes, which I almost always ride with anyway, make a great face covering for when I can't keep the proper distance off-the-bike. I've always been one of those goobers who carry hand sanitizer, it's just coming into play more often now, like before and after I touch a gas pump/payment pad/door handle, etc.
    Traxx likes this.
  6. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Like others, I carry a mask and hand sanitizer. I'm not worried about carrying gloves for pumping gas. I just use the hand sanitizer afterwards.

On the road, I haven't seen much difference except restaurants are closed. So I bring my lunch and have some Cliff Bars with me in case I need food, but can't find any.

I'm not too worried about motels. I went to a "canceled" rally a couple weeks ago at a KOA resort. The RV spots were full. The seven of us who decided to go anyway, were the only ones in the motel portion. I wonder if anyone has been staying in those since this started.

Chris
  7. WillieJ

WillieJ MotorMan

Oddometer:
    I carry a mask, sanitizing wipes, and hand sanitizer. If nature calls, well, the great outdoors is my latrine. I carry toilet paper too.
    Traxx and markk53 like this.
  8. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    At the risk of getting others in a bunch, I'd wager that we in the metro NYC (tristate) area had very significant obstacles that most other places did not.

With that said, I haven't planned or executed any overnights, and stayed in my state boundaries when I felt comfortable to get out and ride a bit. As of now, I wouldn't leave without the essentials where normally I'd not worry. Current essentials: water, some food, a few layers in case I get stuck somewhere, gloves, mask and baby wipes. The lack of any ability to use a restroom really helps you get creative. As a longtime backpacker its not a big deal but many people just aren't cut out to shit in the woods :D
    HuntWhenever, Traxx and DKCJ like this.
  9. Daboo

Daboo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought about toilet paper the last time I went on a long trip...and now from reading this, it probably would've been a good idea to bring it.

Chris
    Traxx likes this.
  10. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    This is the first year I haven't ventured into the Adirondacks or New England in late spring in many years. Its killing me. I am riding in circles. Vt has a quarantine law and Massachusetts as well.
  11. CA-Cincinnatus

CA-Cincinnatus Semi-retired GI-Bill student, husband, GSD-host Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you that worried about getting pulled over for having an out-of-state or out-of-area plate?
  12. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    More the fact that I can't stay anywhere up there. Ordinarily I would jump off from Woodstock Vt or someplace like that. Its a real long up and back trip and you know how that limits you.
  13. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good suggestion here. I would also take enough cash on travels for contingencies, just because. I will probably add a container with a Clorox dilute solution and a wash cloth for disinfecting.

I cannot imagine the obstacles to riding they have back east. Out here we have lots of space to socially isolate.

I have always taken toilet paper with me, cause sometime my riding "skill" (read, lack there of) scares the sh_t out of me.
    9Realms, Traxx, DKCJ and 1 other person like this.
  14. TOMMY B

TOMMY B PRODRIVE

Oddometer:
    Taxes paid Too: Brewster, New York X-Challenge
    Tip to keep you moving: (I have done this before), keep a Dozen or so Heavy duty Zip Ties in your bag. If you get a flat tire and want keep it on your tire on the rim zip them evenly a round your rim. This old trick can get you a significant distance at a reasonable speed if needed.
  15. randyo

randyo Long timer

Oddometer:
    understand, kinda limits you to a day ride, and if I can't enjoy a sit down burger at my favorite spots, it ain't worth it, I haven't chanced visiting my 94 year old dad.
  16. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    I'm considered essential and I ride to work every day.

I have a ziplock bag in which I have some N95 masks and nitrile gloves. It stays in my pannier. I also have a bag/ pouch of antibacterial wipes (Kirkland) that I use on my hands after using a gas pump. Also a can of Lysol spray. In case.
    I've always kept wet wipes and a change of clothing in my right pannier. I have gone from not carrying cash to carrying about $100 in various bills.
    DKCJ and meatshield like this.
  17. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Going for a ride is an exercise in social distancing. However, you have the potential to interact with others or expose yourself or others to COVID during fuel stops, eating, at other "touristic" stops such as scenic overlooks, etc., and finally, interactions with professionals in the event you are stopped for speeding or, heaven forbid, involved in a crash.

I have had the ability to go riding with friends most weekends during "lockdown". Precautions we have been taking include:
    • Carry some drinks and/or snacks so you don't feel the need to go into a gas station "just to grab a Gatorade";
    • Choose destinations where you can eat outside or take your own lunch and picnic;
    • Pay for fuel at the pump, with a card, if possible - and select fuel stations where this is more likely to be successful;
    • Carry hand sanitizer or wipes in your pocket and a face mask somewhere on the bike;
    • Wear a bandana or neck gaiter that you can easily deploy as a face mask should the need arise;
    • Even when you're with close friends, if you do not live in the same household, try to keep six feet between you when stopped. With a little thought, this is possible, even when sitting around a table eating "together";
    • Ride with a little more restraint than usual - hard to do when the roads are less crowded but reducing your chance of having to chat with a cop or have someone drag you out of a ditch is good for both you and them.
    bwringer, tlub and Sal Pairadice like this.
  18. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    "Emergency Motorcycle Riding?" To me, nothing has changed. I continue to ride like I have for over three decades. My ride is mine alone to manage any risks on or off the bike. I don't ride any different than before COVID19. I accept I am the ONLY one who can do anything about my riding environment and traffic issues, and ride to that goal. I strive to not ride myself into traffic and road issues that require more than my skills can handle.
    Traxx and Tall Man like this.
  19. klaviator

klaviator Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I live in Alabama and regularly ride in GA, TN and NC. Most things have opened back up in these states so I have done a few trips. The first I stayed with a friend and the second I camped. I wash my hands more often and try to keep a 6 foot distance from people but otherwise things feel almost normal. I led a group day ride a week back and we had seven people. We all had lunch together but ate at the picnic tables outside.

If I was the Op I'd head south where life is rapidly returning to near normal. Get away from the cities and it there aren't nearly as many signs of the corona virus. You will see few people wearing masks. I have eaten in several restaurants and wouldn't hesitate to stay in a motel. I might bring some wipes and wipe done commonly touched surfaces like doorknobs.

Bathroom breaks? Sometimes I pee in the woods. If I use a gas station restroom I wash my hands well and use a paper towel to avoid touching door knobs when leaving. I normally did this before the Corona Virus.
    Traxx, Mister D and Sal Pairadice like this.
  20. Tall Man

Tall Man Govern yourself accordingly.

Oddometer:
    Yep.
    [​IMG]
    achtung3, HuntWhenever, Traxx and 3 others like this.