Shareable camp items?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Conlew01, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Conlew01

Conlew01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking to compile a list of items that buddy's and I can share on multi day camping trips to save weight and space.
    The obvious I thought of first was stoves and cooking utensils.. what else???
  2. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:

The only stuff not on the list I would say are underwear and medications....;)

Seriously though, it's a good idea. Drinking water tools...... Even food. I can see the advantages given different setups people have in their bikes and luggage.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. jogo

jogo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be honest, I would put my sleeping bag on the not-to-be-shared items list, but people surely have different preferences...:D
  4. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Water filter (I have a Katadyn Base Camp)
    Stove & Fuel
    Air Compressor & tire patch kit
    Spare tire or tube if you're all using the same
    Tools
    Maybe a tent if you want to sleep together. For my wife and I, it is ideal. It probably would be if I was traveling with some stinky dude.
    Gasoline. For those with very different tank capacities, one might be able to spare a gallon for his buddy that ran out.
    Electricity. If wired properly, and Battery Tender extension cord can act as a jumper cable between bikes.
  5. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    During our last moto tour, my riding partner and I developed a routine after arriving at each day's camp site. After setting up our tents, individually, he'd attend to getting the fire ring ready [for later], and get some water from the nearest tap to wipe the day's grime off of the bikes. I'd lay out some cooking supplies and food, and secure a length of paracord between two trees. The latter was intended to accommodate airing out riding gear, and accept any garments that we washed on site that day.

So, we were sharing duties more so than supplies. It was a synergistic outcome, meaning there was more time to do nothing -- and there's a lot to be said for doing nothing at day's end -- after the domestic stuff was attended to.
    ACR, Bucho, Undocumented and 3 others like this.
  6. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me thinks this is a topic you should be discussing with your camping pals. Personally I believe in everyone packs their own gear.
    nk14zp, bugzilla, sieg and 6 others like this.
  7. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. There's always that one guy who forgets something that you all need.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  8. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Dirt Seeker

Oddometer:
    I carry at least the bare essentials myself. Luxury items can be spread around. I wouldn't want to get separated and end up without shelter, food, insulation, etc.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    The biggest might be tent. One of the things that surprises me on the forums is how many say they want to pack light, but then want a huge tent to themselves (even when there isn't anything to shelter from), a camp chair (a light one!), and so on.

Tent is one of the easiest to split between bikes too.

I hate the idea of sharing a tent with someone who is gonna fart in it. But I won't even pitch a tent for a 1-night stop unless there's something to shelter from. If you're setting up base camp, yeah I can see wanting your own. Or maybe one tent with more capacity than the people sharing it (e.g. a 3 person tent for 2 people).
  10. BobintheMtns

BobintheMtns Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind too- if your buddy's bike breaks down, goes off a cliff, gets mauled by a bear, hit by a meteor, etc etc...
    For whatever reason doesn't finish the day with you--- Then you might not have a tent/food/etc that night....
    nk14zp likes this.
  11. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sharing camping gear is fine unless you riding buddy's snoring sound like a freight train.
    Then separate gear is needed and even separate camp sites.:dirtdog
    Undocumented likes this.
  12. MuckSavage

MuckSavage A Piney Irregular

Oddometer:
    @CaptCapsize ....here, here. A recent moto camping trip had my Buddy in a hammock 50' away while I "attempted" to sleep in a tent. I'm pretty sure his snoring kept the coyotes away!
    Nick MN likes this.
  13. Grestil

Grestil 2+2=unicorn

Oddometer:
    One person carries booze the other cigars?
    1oldsickle and Maggot12 like this.
  14. MauiCowie

MauiCowie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only hookers, never blow.
  15. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The group of guys that I ride with have talked this, as we often 5 hatchets/air compressors/tarp shelters etc. and really just need one or 2. The reality is that we each have a routine when we pack, and are used to carrying everything that we need when not with the big group. Sure, it might save a pound or 2 if we divide everything up, but like mentioned earlier, it would suck if the one guy who was supposed to bring an item forgot it.
    Undocumented likes this.
  16. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry,,, this makes me chuckle. :photog Last thing I ever (never) think of at the end of a long day is cleaning my bike at a campsite. "Maybe??" if there are clumps of mud I'll knock them off with a stick.
    bugzilla, max384, Bucho and 3 others like this.
  17. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    To the OP's question... pack your own stuff. If there is some common item that you select one person to carry, make sure you can all do without it in the event you get split up for some unforeseen reason. And then if that's the case, you probably don't need it anyway.
    el Pete likes this.
  18. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    He rode a chrome bike at the time (I didn't/don't) and I got a daily free wash.

Like you, I don't think about tidying up my bike at camp, either. Only a chump would refuse a complimentary clean, though.
    Boatman likes this.
  19. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    I don't ride in groups so I have everything I need on my own. Axe, fishing gear, compressor, tarp, etc and all the other stuff we generally carry.

Being a military guy, I'm a 1 man, 1 kit kind of believer. I'd have a hard time leaving some gear home.

That said, in your situation and regularly travel with a group, 5 hatchets, compressors, tarps, 5 rotopacs and water filtration kits are a little excessive.

I'm sleeping in my own tent, alone, no matter what, though. Unless there's a disaster and someone needs a roof.

max384, Undocumented and OV10 like this.
  20. johnwoodsrides

johnwoodsrides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on own tent!
    Undocumented likes this.