She shed lighting help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Gravels, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Gravels

Gravels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ****SOLVED**** with 4 Harbor Freight Braun Lights

Picked up a 14x24 lofted shed and looking for your input on putting 2 kitchen island lights up.

On monday 4 of these rafters and the loft floor are being removed to open up the area where i would like to work.

IMG_4351_35.jpg

Would like 2 of these in a row but nervous the light coming out will be useless. The 60 watt soft white Led bulbs i use in my house put out 800 Lumens each. So it will be 4000 lumens per fixture? Is this even how it works? Am i crazy not to just go buy 4 harbor freight shop lights?

61wek7lW0aL._SL1200__50.jpg
  2. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hang 4 of them
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd do shop lights. I would think you will have to hang those pretty low to get the light to disperse (I assume they will hang below the rafters). They also look like they will put off shadows. Shop lights will be much lower profile and disperse light better. And you likely won't be hitting your head near as often.
  4. Gravels

Gravels Adventurer

Oddometer:

this was my main concern, the shadows and no diffuser. I guess shop lights are called shop lights for a reason. Kind of a bummer but ill save a ton of money.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is your She Shed and if you want fancy lights, then put fancy lights in. In addition, I would put some strip LED lights on the underside of the shelf above the bench for when you really need additional lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=17534489011
  6. CA_Strom

CA_Strom Cunning Linguist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hit up HF, Costco or Sam's and get two of the 4' LED shop lights. It'll be bright enough for brain surgery. I have 8 running in my 3-car garage/shop and it's like the surface of the sun.
  7. Stasher1

Stasher1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd definitely go LED and not fluorescent, especially if this is an uninsulated building. Fluorescent bulbs take a long time to warm up when they're exposed to low temps, and the light they throw is just pitiful until they're up to temp.
    Butters likes this.
  8. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    This. I use these on my boat to light the galley area. It works awesome for lighting an overhang like your work bench has. Super cheap too.

I'd also use the LED with diffuser shop lights. Your ceiling height is pretty low and the diffuser will help to cast the light everywhere without shadows.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just rebuilt my overflow shed (for when I have too many other bikes in the garage) and bought two Harbor Freight LED lights for I believe $50 total. Like CA Strom said, I could perform brain surgery in here now.

overflow shed.jpg
    Gravels and CA_Strom like this.
  10. Gravels

Gravels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Carpenter came and cutout the loft area and it looks stunning. Did the smart and sensible thing and bought 4 harbor freight lights., $20 bucks for 5k lumens is to good to pass up. If something goes wrong trash it and buy another.

Pic soon
    rd400racer and CA_Strom like this.
  11. Gravels

Gravels Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My retinas are burning, i ran 2 extension cords up there to test them out. Should work fine when my vision comes back :D

re 2.jpg
    CA_Strom and rd400racer like this.
  12. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    Run some of those led strip lights between the floor joists of you loft and you will be all set if you even need light underneath there to do work
    O shadows