Sherco clutch lever issue (2018)

Discussion in 'Trials' started by borlo, Aug 31, 2020.

1. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all,

I am having an issue with the clutch on my 2018 Sherco Factory 250. I bought the bike used in February of this year. All was fine until I (apparently) introduced air into the system by pulling in clutch while the bike was laying on its right side. At that point the bike was unrideable.

The problem is that when I am running the bike through a longer section the lever freeplay keeps increasing. I am able to get the freeplay back to where it should be by snapping the lever a couple of times.

I contacted RYP and the gentleman on the phone explained how it likely happened (see above) and how to fix it (adjust lever out, pull lever in slowly and hold at spot where air bubbles are coming up into the reservoir). I have done this multiple times. A few air bubbles occasionally come out when I cycle the lever, but sometimes not. It improved things after the first round to where I can ride it, but the wandering freeplay hasn't gone away. It is rideable and not a deal breaker but very annoying to have my friction point move around. It seems like the master or slave cylinder is "sticking."

Is there another solution that I am missing? I would love to have a bleeder screw at the slave cylinder but was told that it is not an option. Do I need to open the line at the slave and free flow/replace all the mineral oil?

Thanks! I searched but couldn't find anything about this issue.
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you losing any fluid? Are you using the right oil? Have you tried the trick of tyingthe lever in overnight? D you have free play in the lever?
  3. soupbill

soupbill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you hadn't said that it happened when you pulled in the clutch when it was on its side, I would guess that the front wheel bearings were worn (from Water, rust) as that would let the disc (wheel) move back & forth & push the pucks out, which may feel like free play. may be worth a look.
  4. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Based on what your saying I think I might try to get a higher volume of fluid to move when doing the bleed... maybe try a screwdriver to pump the piston, try a reverse bleed with a large syringe, or even consider using a vacuum of some kind to bleed the system?

Also consider tapping the slave and master with the back of the screwdriver or a small plastic or rubber mallet during the process as well.

good luck.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  5. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply and info. I don't seem to be losing any fluid. I am using the correct oil (mineral for clutch, 75w for gearbox). There is freeplay in the lever at all times. I have not yet tried the tie the lever overnight trick yet but will do so today.

For the tying the lever trick, is it OK to do with the reservoir cap on or does it need to be off?

Looking forward, if there was a leak at the slave cylinder and fluid was leaking but at a very slow rate, would that lead to the symptoms that I am having?
  6. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's the clutch that I am having issues with...I wish it were just the brakes!
  7. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have done the tapping, and I sure do wish that I could vac bleed or reverse bleed...but some yahoo at Sherco decided that saving a few ounces by not putting a bleed nipple at the slave cylinder was more important than being able to easily bleed and change fluid.

Good thing these bikes are so fun to ride because sometimes the engineering and serviceability is goofier than the tights some of the riders wear!
    y4m4 likes this.
  8. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Ummmm... that is a bit strange. Any chance you can take a picture? Would like to see how that is setup.
  9. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  10. soupbill

soupbill Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats FUNNY ! I gotta stop drinking & posting sorry bout that.
    Thesolidman1 and lineaway like this.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    You tie it with the cap closd. It is worth noting sherco had alot of bad slaves. Might just get a new one.
  12. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    2017 models were the ones with bad slave cylinders.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed the lack of a bleeder on my wife's bike and am also curious how it is supposed to get bled. My 2016 has a bleeder.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  14. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I've had to bleed mine when I flushed fluids..... I was skeptical at first, but just kept pumping and it came right.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  15. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I don’t even know how you bleed it, without a bleeder.
  16. Norman Foley

Oddometer:
    I loosened the line at the slave and drained it. Then with the connection cracked, I started to fill reservoir and pump until I had fluid coming out the connection. I then tighten the hose connection, fill the reservoir and keep pumping until I have no bubbles. It's worked for me.
    jonnyc21, y4m4 and Yinzer Moto like this.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    That is what I suspected but was not sure that is what was needed.
    jonnyc21 and Norman Foley like this.
  18. Zuendapp

Zuendapp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You may want to consider the 2019 "O" ring slave piston. I never trusted the 2017/18 style. I was told that the 2017 hose and bleeder were superseded to 2018 direct hose to slave housing. 2017 hose not available in USA?

DSC00929.JPG
    motobene, Norman Foley and lineaway like this.
  19. borlo

borlo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I strapped the clutch lever down overnight. It seems to have helped a little...maybe...but I haven't had a chance to really test it riding. Won't be able to really test it for a month or so due to upcoming work and travel. Standing there in the shop just pumping the lever it still happens.

When I return I will do the bleed procedure the good Norman Foley recommended. If that doesn't work I'll replace the slave piston and see if there is any way to get an older line with a bleeder screw.
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  20. MT 007

MT 007 Long timer

Oddometer:
    After a month or so of sitting the clutch could seize up a bit (mine usually does) I typically just put it in 3rd or 4th gear pull in nthe clutch and rock the bike front and back a few times until it frees up... can be a bit of a surprise if you just start it and kick it in gear :-)
    Norman Foley and Huzband like this.