Sherco rear suspension lubrication

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Cascao, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Cascao

Cascao Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Buschog, Beatprojim and Norman Foley like this.
  2. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    This is awesome, thanks. Should the dog bone bushings be installed dry? Or would a smear of water-proof grease help with installation?

To those of you with Shercos and are contemplating doing this: I cannot stress enough that you lubricate the swing arm bolt (as shown in the video) on (at least) a yearly basis. It does not come lubricated (very well) from the Factory. That bolt runs thru the case and frame and can seize in either/both. DAMHIK. Once seized, removing it is a b!tch. If you want to know what you might be in for, if it is seized, Google "dreaded swing arm bolt" and a bunch of XR250R and XR400R threads will pop up. One guy had to cut his swing arm apart to resolve the issue. I didn't have to resort to that when I had my '14 ST300 but it did require an impact driver to get that bolt out. As you can imagine, that bolt was not re-usable (it's aluminum). An ounce of prevention.....
    Cascao likes this.
  3. Cascao

Cascao Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The recomended is to apply some lubrificant when installing the bushing. But it goes easly anyway. These buschings are very cheap on industrial suppliers.
    Bronco638 likes this.
  4. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Cascao you always do great videos!

It's easy to regrease the dogbone bushings on Sherco-Scorpa bikes. I do that about twice a season and if I go a bit long I squirt oil on them.

I remove the dogbones to clean and re grease the bushings. It's pretty easy to get them off. You don't have to remove the swing arm.

The swing arm pivot and rocker arm needle bearings are quite robust and well sealed. Once you fully pack them the maintenance interval is much longer than the dogbone bushings. You can often go a few years without damage.

If you are totally lazy at least oil the moving interfaces, especially on the dogbone ends. If you get the creaking noise when you sit on the bike you are wearing out the bushings much faster.

If you keep the dogbone bushings greased reasonably well you can expect infinite life out of them. I find them to be touger than needle bearing-type dogbones, but because they are not sealed except by grease, the grease will migrate out faster than on sealed systems.

I've tried sealing them with o-rings but found that it's simpler to just clean and grease them every now and then.
    Cascao likes this.