1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Shifting bikes - meeting place

Discussion in 'Australia' started by werewasi, Sep 22, 2020.

1. werewasi

werewasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've thought about this in the past when I've had to move bikes long distances after buying something and finding that the commercial freight rates were high. (Quoted $377 today for Sydney to Grafton !!!!!!!! $586 Adelaide to Grafton). Maybe there are ADV people who will move a bike for petrol money - say $100/200 for this distance.
    I'm facing a 4000 km return drive to Adelaide to pick up a recent buy and would gladly pay someone to bring it even to Sydney.
    So the idea would be that you'd just list your capacity to cart a bike, or your need to get one shifted here. Obviously it's not going to be Express service.
    GodSilla and nevgriff64 like this.
  2. toecutta

toecutta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i think the costs are kind of driven by insurance? :-(
    AUS CRUZER likes this.
  3. Reklaw59

Reklaw59 Faster than your Nan.

Oddometer:
    Covid 19
    flinders_72 likes this.
  4. gateman

gateman Long timer

Oddometer:
    If all goes well then the covid issue SA to NSW ( you mention Sydney) Although you mention Grafton twice...That might be less of an issue after midnight. $100/200 dollars for petrol Hmm nah.
    Insurance is a very major issue for the fetcher of your bike. Id be into the ride but not the liability. Dont get me wrong. Ive bought heaps of bikes home for people I know.
    So what about a direct post out to people you already know over that way.
    Why not just go collect it yourself and ride home.
    $586 door to door at todays prices seems fine.
    Who gave you that quote werewasi?
  5. GordyOZ

GordyOZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    3700km to grafton from adelaide and back , at 10km/L @$1.40/L average, two nights accommodation at Cobar and meals for 4 days on the road...........I'd pass on that!
  6. farqhuar

farqhuar Human guinea pig

Oddometer:
    I'd do it, and I'd call it ........

...... an ADVENTURE. :-)
  7. werewasi

werewasi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That $586 was a "dealer " quote I think. Can't find my notes now. "truckit" was $680.

I've taken a "truckit " for quote $425 to ship bike fr Adelaide to Sydney because i now have to go down there and pick up another bike coming fr Melbourne. Covered truck and the guy has got a 100% rating.

Fly to Adelaide and ride home started to look expensive, even though I'd have enjoyed the ride, because a cheap flight doesn't allow you to take more than 7kg of gear with you. The other hiccup is that the bike is new and this sort of constant speed riding is not conducive to good running in.

I can do anything fr Qland border to Sydney week beginning 5 october.

yes, damage/insurance is the tricky bit. I'd be carrying anyone else's bike up on the ute - not on the bike trailer (avoiding possible stone damage)
  8. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cost me $750 from Wollongong to Ballarat recently (was quoted much more by other companies) so $680 Adelaide to Grafton is cheap at the moment. I was prepared to go and pick it up myself if I had to but the NSW govt wouldn't let me.
  9. ozcruiser

ozcruiser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always ring the local furniture removers and ask if there chasing a back load home. Most will run home empty so they will pick up bikes to help with fuel money.
    BergDonk, tripodtiger and Boxa like this.