Shinko 705 first impressions

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Scrammer007, Jun 10, 2020.

?

If you purchased tires from 2011 and later, would you buy again?

1. Yes, they've been great

2. No, I was disappointed

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Sudpaq

Sudpaq n00b

Oddometer:
    Great review. I just put a set on my CB500X. Great choice, my previous tires were Pirelli MT60's, the Shinkos give me much more confidence on gravel, and stick to pavement.
    Scrammer007 likes this.
  2. IMLST_AZ

IMLST_AZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm a fan... they were great on my F800GS. P1010462.JPG
    2200 mile trip in the fall of '17 through AZ,CO and NM
    P1030653.JPG
    Been over to CA through Joshua Tree and surrounding area
    IMG_1681.JPG
    Monument Valley and up through Utah....
    IMG_1810.JPG
    White rim trail...

Kind of a do it all tire.
    9Realms, Scrammer007 and Bigger Al like this.
  3. ShadowMan

ShadowMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run 705's on my DR650.
    I like them because they're inexpensive and have good grip wet or dry for the riding I do which is about 50/50 gravel roads and blacktop highways. I've generally been happy with them and will probably continue to buy them, but my last rear still had tread left on one side and on the other side was to the cords.
    Rears last about 5,000 miles and my most recent front lasted 17,000 although it was quite scalloped at that point.
    0508201809a.jpg 0508201809b.jpg
    Scrammer007 likes this.
  4. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How is the lean-in on these? My Pirelli wore out in the rear and I have minimal "chicken strips" as my friend calls them. Will I be able to continue to lean as much on the 705s?
  5. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    My experience with the 705's is that they will lean in very neutrally and hold a corner and a line as well as many pure street tires. I've run perhaps 20 sets on a pair of KLR650's and they're simply fantastic street tires, more so when the price is considered. They'll hold their own on gravel/fire roads, but deeper stuff can get dicey. Forget about sand and mud.
    DonPatrizio likes this.
  6. mtn.moto.adv

mtn.moto.adv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've the 244's on my DR350SE, they were brand new when I bought the bike last November and they've lasted me a year as they're just now getting to the point where the center of the tread is pretty much wore flat and needing replaced. I think the front will last long enough to match a 2nd rear tire, although the tread is still good it is starting to cup a little bit.

I've taken the bike on several highway trips, tons of gravel roads, atv trails, dirt trails. Never gone easy on them, always skidding the rear, peeling out in gravel etc. For $50 they're pretty good imo
  7. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got the Shinko installed on Saturday and I'm glad I did! Love this tire.

[​IMG]
    Bigger Al likes this.
  8. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have exactly 5,998 miles on my Shinkos for my R1200GS. The front looks pretty new. The rear has more wear but not sure how much longer I can expect it to go. I really don't see any wear bars to give me an idea. I am planning a 1500 mile, mostly pavement, trip quite soon. Think I will make it or should I order a replacement?

On that note, is it safe and acceptable to mix brands on the rear tire? (I would never do this on a car but figured I'd ask.) While I have no serious complaints* with these I am curious what a Dunlop Trailmax Mission would feel and last like on the rear.

*The "falling into" a corner handling characteristic I am told is normal but it sure took some getting used to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That looks like it would last another 1500, to my eyes, along with easy riding. More pics of the 993!
  10. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That's encouraging! And good eye!

[​IMG]
  11. DonPatrizio

DonPatrizio Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great garage you have there.
  12. BradB.

BradB. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliment!
  13. rsl47m

rsl47m Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought the handling is weird. Initial turn in on pavement was slow then fell in fast. A set was on some motard wheels I bought, can't wait to get them off.
  14. hlh1

hlh1 n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been happy with the 705's on my 06 WeeStrom except that they're noticeably buzzy, enough so that I'll probably go with something else when these wear out. I ride mostly street and occasionally hard packed dirt or gravel roads. They do "fall" into turns but you get used to it. You sure can't beat the low price for a set.
  15. Tyestick

Tyestick Hooligan at heart

Oddometer:
    I had them on my 2020 Husqvarna 701 Supermoto.

Front: 120/70/17
    Rear: 170/60/17

Shinko didn’t offer the stock rear size for my bike, which was a 160/60/17, which led me to going with the next size up.

Wanted to like the tires. Really did. I had big plans for them. Once installed, plans quickly changed.

The lean angle was terrible. No confidence.
    Very heavy tires. I didn’t notice any noise from the tires, but I also didn’t have them on for very long. Only a few thousand miles.

Lots of headshake from the front tire. Very sketchy.
    Basically limited my top speed to 70mph.

For fire roads and such, I’ll stick with the Supermoto tires. I sacrificed wayyyyy too much with the Shinko’s. Never again. Can’t say I’ll suggest them to anyone either.

That’s my take.
  16. IBA270

IBA270 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 705's were the first new tires I spooned on to the "new to me" 2011 GSA. I don't have much to compare to as I pulled off knobbies. I've only ridden on pavement, but I'm very impressed with performance-price independent. Price dependant, I don't see what comes closer assuming even average mileage.
  17. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put set on my 2017 GSA for my cross country trip. Put 8000 miles NJ to CA and back, come home replace it with new set before selling my bike. For the money it was great tire.
  18. frizzen

frizzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm liking the 705s on my WeeStrom. Front tire is getting close to 17k and lots of tread left. I got almost 10k out of the rear before I swapped it out. They hold the twisties like NM152 for as fast as I want to push but forget about getting into the deep sand with them.
  19. hlh1

hlh1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Is the front tire pretty noisy, and buzzy, below 30 mph on yours?
  20. frizzen

frizzen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty much. Doesn't seem as loud as when I first put it on, but maybe I'm just used to it. First time I rode on it I thought my brakes were dragging or I had a bearing going out.