Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey inmates, I have a brand new set of shinko's in the common 17 rear 19 front flavor that I no longer need. (sold bike they would fit on). Still in original shipping packaging from when I bought them. If anyone is interested, would make a great deal locally, or can ship on buyer's dime. I'm located in Idaho. Let me know if you are interested.
  2. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Yeah, right!

Oddometer:
    The front Shinko on my 1150GS is now at 20000km and the tread only half worn. I am going to get rid of it as soon as I can. At least it doesn't rain much around here, so I can still use it for commuting.
  3. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    I just got a new set of Shinko 705. I looked at the rotation arrow. If you install it on the rear it rotates one way. If you install on the front it should rotate the opposite way(flip it over). First time that I've seen this. My other Shinko 705's don't have this marking. The light spot mark is quite visible.
  4. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    That is because generally speaking, you'll have more braking forces on the front tire and more acceleration forces on the rear.

All 705's I've ever installed since the early bias ones have always had a directional arrow and yes it appears the front is backwards to the rear, but that is correct. Maybe you missed it on earlier tires?

You can even see on websites they show the tread pattern going in opposite directions for the front vs rear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. lesman

Oddometer:
    I either missed it or for 5500 miles my tire has been installed wrong(arrows on the other side). I got 5500 miles with possible 1000 miles available. I run 712's on my Strom. They last 3000-4000 max. The last 1500 miles are usually just horrible. Probably switching to 705's in the future.
  6. lesman

Oddometer:
    When I installed my new Shinko 705 it took 56 grams to balance. When I balanced my 712's it always took 35-45 grams. Are these amounts excessive?
    Yes red dot at the valve stem. The tire rides great.
  7. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    No, I have over twice that amount on my 800XC rear on a Kenda Big Block. But I didn't pay attention to the balance dot. It is 90 degrees off the valve stem.
  8. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Balance your rim next time without a tire on it. Then re-check after you mount a tire. You might find it better. Maybe some tires still take some weight, but it might be better.
  9. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the new 17 inch front yet? Looks like they're finally in 120/70-17 size but I'm not seeing them for sale anywhere. Would be an answer for many Versys, CB500x, NC700x etc riders.
    http://www.shinkotireusa.com/tire/705-series
  10. wpoll

wpoll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think what lesman was saying is that some Shinko 705s now have BOTH rear and front direction arrows on the SAME tire. :huh

I noticed this on my last set too. Previous tires were either front OR rear but it seems some tires are rated for either role. And yes, the arrow for front use is the reverse of the arrow for rear use, as you would expect.
  11. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I had not seen that yet, but I guess it's only certain tire sizes they would do that on.
  12. Paebr332

Paebr332 Good news everyone!

Oddometer:
    I just got an email from BikeBandit informing me that they now have this size 705 available to ship. They did warn that quantities are limited so you may want to move fast. Or could be marketing malarky.
  13. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:

Several of us on the NC700 forum received the tires in early spring. Shortly after that several others report they are on back order. Bike Bandit seemed to be offering more size choices in the 705. Other retailers had no listing for the 120/70-17 when BB had them in stock and was shipping.
  14. glitch_oz

glitch_oz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seen that on the Mefo Explorer's too.
    Arrows clearly marked "front" and "rear".
  15. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    I got the "90" on my bike, and glad to read that a narrower size is available. But it is going to be a while before the front is getting replaced. 6K miles and it's hardly worn out. About 10K miles on the rear and it's about ready to switch out.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    120/90-17 and 120/70-17 are the exact same width: 120mm. The sidewall of the tire is the only difference. 108mm tall and 84 mm tall respectively. The 90 and the 70 is aspect ratio not width of the tread.
  17. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. socially stunted

socially stunted Mind astray

Oddometer:
    Just to add to the collective knowledge. I changed out the rear on my wife's '10 F650GS low twin at 13k miles. It's a 150/70R-17 which is a hair smaller in diameter than the stock 140/80, maybe a half inch I believe. But it was tubeless where the 140/80 was listed as a tubed at the time. I haven't checked lately. The wife is also only 5ft and needs all the help with height she can get. All her riding is highway commuting with the rare groomed dirt road.
    [​IMG]
  19. vought

vought n00b

Oddometer:
    I do a fairly high-speed commute with some occasional fire road riding on hard rocks and gravel; my 705s have been pretty exemplary on my F800GS - I prefer them to the original Scorpions.

Tread depth right now is about half of what they came with along the spine of the tire; I found them easiest to mount when using Mr. S. BodyGlide lube. Yes, lube. It washes off with water and it's slick as hell.

I had a great experience on some very hilly and washboarded roads in northern california this weekend. 180 miles of asphalt (101) and 20 miles of gravel and hard fumbly rocks - the washboard had me backing off the damping for the return trip, but the tires were excellent and didn't put a foot wrong.

No cracking in the tread blocks; as I mentioned, most of my riding with them is high speed (70-85mph) on I-280 for the commute.
  20. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a new 17" rear sitting that they could measure for me? Just wondering what the tread depth is from new, and I forgot to mark it when I threw mine on. Wanting to see what I've got left after 3500 miles. Thanks