Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Ed@Ford

Ed@Ford Long timer

Oddometer:
    10/32 (~8mm) new....
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    On my S10 riding briskly on pavement and gravel with plenty of roosts I'll be lucky to get 10,000kms/6000 miles. 8500kms now an hoping. But still a bargin at $100.
  3. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where do you get it for $100?
  4. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Canadas Motorcycle in Montreal. Free shipping.
  5. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I'm looking at about 2.5mm right now. Might have to be easier on the wrist I guess
  6. p0diabl0

p0diabl0 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered one of the new 17 inch 120/70 fronts from bikebandit a week or so ago, will try putting it on Friday. Looks sexy :lol3
  7. p0diabl0

Oddometer:
    New 120/70-17 front fitted to my Ninja, replacing a worn Pilot Power. Haven't gotten to ride on it yet. Used the zip-tie method to get it on, bead popped into place somewhere around 45 psi. My first successful tire change so I'm not sure how hard/easy it was compared to anything else. The tire itself is noticeable heavier than the Pilot Power but the tread is pretty deep so that's not surprising.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Good to see Shinko has finally released that.
    Another option is to go with a fender lift and use the Shinko 700 130-17"
    On the front as that has also gone tubeless. You then could go with a 150-27" 705 rear or a Mitas E07.
  9. N97972

N97972 n00b

Oddometer:
    Where did you pickup your 120/70-17 ? I was told I wouldn't see mine till July.

Pete
  10. youkiddin

youkiddin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got my 120/70 yesterday after being on backorder at bike bandit
  11. p0diabl0

Oddometer:
    As above, bikebandit. Ordered 5/24, came in 5/28. But they're located less than 20 miles away from me so it should have been fast. :lol3
  12. purplepeopleeater

purplepeopleeater The Official VW Nut

Oddometer:
    So whats the wear been like on these...I see some old threads on stromtroopers of these exploding apart, on the radial too!

I like the look of these alot...I do 10% offroad and mostly on with 2up riding about 10% of the time...this is on my DL1000
  13. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never personally known anyone who owned one of these that blew up. Had a set on El Tigre I, 955i Tiger, and ridden with a bunch of guys that had them. Never an incident. One guy rode a dirt ride with them on an R1200GS when the rest of us had knobbies. He did really well. Have also seen them on KLRs do great offroad, now it may be the rider more than the tire.
  14. purplepeopleeater

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I think Im going to snag a set
  15. rpcraft

rpcraft Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a set on my DL1000 2 weekends ago. I have probably about 600 miles on them. The front howls like a banshee right around 60 to 65 mph. It's loud, anywhere below its not noticeable and when rolling slowly I can barely feel the tread, maybe just when parking or turning extreme angles. After 65 and higher it makes some noise still but not nearly as bad as it does when around 60. I'm hoping it goes away, otherwise I might just swap to find something quieter. To me they make my Vee feel a little heavy in the handling department. I'm thinking when it does come time to look at a new front I'll probably go ahead and swap to a Michelin PR trail or something similar.
  16. purplepeopleeater

Oddometer:

Hmm, howling I can handle...I ride a 530 with dunlop 606's knobbies :evil

Heavy part though ? what do you have tire pressures at?
  17. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tire pressures are you running? Not had that issue at least until they are well worn and cupping badly.

On a side not i did a track day yesterday on my old Tiger with 705s. They did ok. First time back on track since 1989, but remarkable how it came back. Couldnt get much heat into tires at 30 psi at both ends but they stuck decently and slide very predictably. Little sketchy chasing 600s on race rubber on a fat pig on DS tires. :lol3
  18. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    The handling on the 705's is very neutral. To me they fall into a turn actually very easy and actually stay there, but you actually have to counter steer to bring the bike back up straight. That's the "feeling" that makes these feel different then a lot of tires that try to stand back up on you while you are leaned over. So I would guess that is where the OP's "heavy" feeling is coming from.
  19. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    To me, the front 705 in the 110/19 size is one of the lightest steering tires I've tried on my DL650. Almost disconcertingly light until they get scuffed in well,,,,, say 500 miles or so. Matter of fact, I purposely will leave the front slightly under inflated as to what I generally run for the first few hundred miles. Once they break-in/scuff or whatever, they feel pretty neutral to me. Damned near perfect. Once they get a crap load of miles {"crap load" to me on these tires is maybe 10K miles or so}, they do get heavy as flatten out but that's to be expected and it's no more noticeable than any other tire I've known.

As for the noise,,,, I'm used to non DOT knobbies on my dual sports and 40 inch mudders on 4x4s so I don't even notice the noise. What,,,,,, can ya hear my now??????:lol3
  20. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

I know you probably what a nice simple answer but there really isn't one. On my DL650 the rear usually lasts between around 4K mile when used locally and up to as high as 9K miles when touring and babying the tire to get the most miles I can. That local number includes a lot of playing in the twisties, playing off tarmac and even a lot of playing while doing the mundane commuting. I'm pretty rough on tires, not as bad a few I've seen but harder than most.

To put that in perspective it's best to compare to other brands. So to compare, the rear 705 wears comparably to the original Tourances FOR ME. Some might get 15K outta there Tourances, that doesn't matter TO ME. On the opposite side of the comparison chart, I usually get less than 3-3.5K miles out of a rear TKC. The last comparison isn't a direct comparison since the tire is on my Tenere but the Bridgestone Battle Wing it came with will hit 9K miles and I wasn't exactly easy on it. On a slight lighter, less powerful DL650 I can see it lasting 10-12K easy.

So, if you have run any of those tires and you average more or less miles, just take the comparison and apply what you would get.

To address reliability issues of the 705,,,, I have run more 705s than most and over several difference sizes on different bikes. I have only had one rear 705 that had the tread delaminate and it was a bias ply in a 120/18 size that was a tube type run tubeless. It was on my wife's Ascot and it had a lot of miles on it when it did crap out. I am not discounting other's experiences though, there are simply too many instances to blow off. But, do those data points sway any decision I would take while considering these tires for a long trip? Nope, would pop one on in a heartbeat.

To me, these are great tires for their combination of on and off road traction, wear and price. Compared to a Tourance, they last the same, bout the same on road traction, considerably better off road traction and come in at a better price. The Tourance is not as lumpy riding and it not as noisy not that those things matter to me.

BTW, some folks are saying the new 805 is roughly equaling the mileage of the 705 and if so,,,, I'll take the more aggressive 805 is wear really is the same since the price seems to be a wash.