Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Well said Jud!

Yep I'm hoping the 805's last as well as the 705's and I'll just run those going forward and enjoy the full knobbies. :lol3
  2. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Brief thread derail... the 804/805's are a fantastic value and makes paying 3 bills for some Conti TKC's just seem silly.

The rear got me to 5000mi with moderately hard throttle (no rev limiter power wheelies) and aggressive braking. At least 750mi offroad on it and while not as good as the TKC in those conditions, still very effective and world's better than an 80/20 tire.

My front shows minimal wear to the center row frontside edge at 3000mi. No cupping noted and the noise is just like all the other knobbed tires on the market... bad. This tire is now paired with a 705 and so far is working quite well.

YMMV

Attached Files:

• 009.jpg
      009.jpg
      File size:
      81.2 KB
      Views:
  3. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
  4. hankmoody

hankmoody Ummmmm?? REALLY?!

Oddometer:
    Ok....not the 7 or 8 series of Shinkos, but I've been running Ravens on my 1150rt for 2 years now. Im on my 3rd set. i get 10- 12k miles out of the rear and a bit more out of the front. My fellow beemer friends scoffed at me early on when I was buying them. But I'd had several sets of 705s on my KLR and never had a single negative issue with them. EVER.

So when I replaced mine recently, my beemer buddy ordered with me. $158.89 per pair shipped from MotorcycleCloseouts. Hes been on them for 2 weeks and just told me he cant tell any difference between these and the Pilot 3's and 4's hes always run (cuz thats what all the beemer fags run). At less than HALF what a pair of Pilots run and the same or better mileage.

I'm a teacher and do over 20k miles annually. I cant afford $700 a year for tires.
  5. Yokomo

Yokomo Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    Did u install it right? I'd never call a 705 loud. odd
  6. riceaterslc

riceaterslc Urinal Cake Engineer

Oddometer:
    Since I don't ride off pavement nearly as much as I used to with my Tiger, I'm looking at replacing the current 700/Big Block combo with a setof 705s.

I'm mainly looking for better street traction and a quieter ride. Can anyone who has run both comment on a comparison?
  7. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden your combo, but I have found the 705s to be quiet and have enough grip to drag pegs on a Supermoto race track!

[​IMG]
  8. imjustin

imjustin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought a used Honda NX4 in Dec 2013 with a pair of Shinko 705s mounted on them, used them for daily commuting (100% road) to school for the whole year, and only changed them out in July this year after 31,000km (approx. 20,000miles), not including the miles the previous owner put on them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm absolutely amazed at the quality, mileage and grip these tyres provide for it's price. And I ran the previous rear with a 2-inch gash through one of the blocks for most of those 20,000 miles. Yes, given it's a light motorcycle (140kg+ dry), as a poor college kid, these are definitely bang for the buck!
  9. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had 705s on a KTM 990 Adv. Loved 'em. Just as grippy on and off the pavement as the OE Pirellis. Run Shinko Ravens on my FJR now and as mentioned above get scoffed at by other FJR riders who insist that if it isn't an RP3 or 4 than it is not worthy. Oh well, their loss, I get roughly the same mileage as they do and have no problems scratching pegs on wet or dry roads.
  10. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I run a 705 rear and TKC80 front.I'm going back to street only use on my NC so I'm running the 705 rear and a 009 front,until the 705 wears out !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
  11. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had the same experience with the Raven as you with my FJR except I didn't like the front as much. I ran a 005 Advance front with a 009 Raven and the they usually wore out at roughly the same time. Like you, I wore the pegs out to the point of touching off on the center stand.

My only wish with the 705s is that I wished Shinko would go with a bit harder compound on the rear and possibly a bit softer on the front as the fronts go 15K+ miles easy,,, the rear are usually done around 4K mile when playing,,,,, maybe 9K miles when pumped up hard as a rock and treated with kid gloves when touring.
  12. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jud, I will try the advance on the front next go around. The Raven fronts last a LOOOOOOONG time and are grippy but seem to wear a bit uneven and cause a wobble on deceleration when I take my hands off the bars. Problem is I keep looking at Teneres, 1190ADVs, and Vstrom 1000s so I may not have the FJR long enough to wear this front out.
  13. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I just mounted a 009 front yesterday to go with my 705 rear for a long pavement trip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
  14. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I have the 705's on my v strom 650. I bought them because of price. The front tire is louder than what I am used to. At 55 mph I can hear it plainly. I also agree with many here that for the money it can't be beat. But, there are better tires out there. Longevity is good but GRIP is better when it comes to having only two wheels underneath you. I will get my mileage out of these but my next set will not be the same tires. Maybe Shinko but not the 705's. The rubber is harder to make it last longer but the grip is not there IMHO.
  15. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could drag the pegs on my modded DL650 running 705s and it has alot more ground clearance than stock. I can scrape the pegs easily on my Tenere with them. I will admit the front does feel vague at the lean angles it takes to scrape the pegs on the DL but I've been doing it for years and many thousands of miles without issue and it's never actually pushed,,, juss feels odd and disconcerting which affects my confidence. But honestly, I'm scootin along pretty quickly at that point and man, how fast do you need to go in the twisties on a DL650?? On the street, the 705s basically equaled the Tourances I ran before the 705s and the two offer comparable wear. The 705s work much better than the Tourances off tarmac though. As far as wet traction goes,,,, roughly equal to the Tourances maybe.

If you were running something like a Pilot Road,,,, I can understand not liking the 705s. If so, look into Bridgestone BattleWings. They were OEM on my Tenere and while they don't work too well off tarmac,,,,,, they work well on the tarmac and wear well too, better than Tourances. I got around 10K miles outta the rear before it was completely worn out {corded} and I'm not the easiest on tires. As a qualifier, I doubt I will get more than 3K if that on the 705 that replaced it. Gonna be TKCs front and a 805 out back since I'm hearing the 805 lasts roughly as long as the 705 on the rear. After that??? Maybe a 705 front and a Mitas or a Heide although I'm a bit worried about how hard of a compound those last two have since I like to drag the pegs. Maybe a M40????
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Yep,,,, a Tenere replaced my FJR some time back. You will miss the FJRs on tarmac handling and seemless power but I will admit the Tenere is a better mile muncher and it works worlds better off tarmac.
  17. maydaymike

maydaymike Fearless Commuter

Oddometer:
    Anybody notice a possible harder rubber compound on recent 705 rears? I've run through several sets of 705's in the last three years on my Bonneville, and I've gotten 5500-6000 miles max before they were bald in the middle. The one I took off tonight, (purchased april 2015 and iirc an early 2015 date code), had 7500 on it, and I probably could have run another 1000 or so commuting. This is a bias 140/80-17 run at 41 psi.
  18. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I'll have to look at my current 705 to see what the date code is. It's a 150/70-17 radial and honestly it's not looking that hot after 3500 miles. If it's another 4500-5000 mile tire, I think I'm done with the 705's and I'll run the Shinko 804/805 which I think I can easily get 5k miles out of and it's a knobby tire. They handle just as well on the pavement and way better off pavement.
  19. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bit about the 805 sounds great because I recently popped a 705 on the back of the Tenere and I don't think I'll get 3K outta it. Got two front TKCs I need to run through and those would be a good match for the 805 I think.
  20. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    My buddy ran the 805 on his S10 and he was tough on it including running the pressures pretty low most of it's life and still managed 4k miles on it and it wasn't dead yet as a street tire, but wasn't much good in the dirt. He was very happy with it.

Another buddy is running TKC front / 805 Rear on his GSA and he keeps up with me in the twisties with me on 705's. We swapped bikes on that same day and honestly think those knobbies handle just as good if not better. The 705 is so vague in the front as you know and I think you can tell more from the knobbies.