Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful to hear Dan,,,, 'preciate the info.
  2. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Talkin tires,,,,, I was surprised at the life I got from the OEM BattleWings. The rear had roughly 10K miles when I changed it out and I was fairly rough and I was running middling tire pressures. I could see a rear BattleWing going an easy 15K maybe more if you ran it pumped up hard as a rock, treated with kid gloves and used in a touring application. Would make a good companion to a 705 if very little off tarmac is in the cards and one is allergic to the darkside.:lol3
    BlueLghtning likes this.
  3. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I just did a 2,500 mile trip with a 705 rear and a 009 front .
    Worked AWSOME on everything from Oregon coast winding roads ( Hwy 101 ) to 100's of miles of freeways and 100's of miles of rain.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
    Seth650 likes this.
  4. kojack

kojack AMF!

Oddometer:
    When I finally get the laced wheels for my v, I think im going to the 705s. seems to be the best bang for the buck.
  5. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Let's Ride!

Oddometer:
    I would like to apologize for a too quick review of the 705's on my v strom. I said earlier that they didn't grip like other brands that cost more. I now find that is not a true summary. I have about a thousand miles on them and they lack nothing. In the first couple of weeks I had them I felt they didn't inspire confidence in aggressive riding, the rubber was too hard or something. I now feel that they grip amazingly well and don't even think about them any more. Maybe I'm use to them or maybe I have scrubbed the "new" off of them, but whatever it is they are turning out to be a best buy for me. I am all street riding too by the way.
  6. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update, I was hoping maybe you were just going through a long scrub-in. Very soon I'll be in the market for a set of tires for my DL650, and no matter how many different tires I look at, I keep coming back to the 705s as the most likely choice.
  7. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should take it easy on the first 75 miles or so with a new set of tires....dealers tell you that. We normally ignore them. And when we mount our own sometimes we don't think of it. There's a reason for it....you have to wear off the release agent from the compound mold.
  8. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
    I lightly sand ALL my tires with 100g sandpaper after I mount them.I have never had a problem running hard from the first mile !!.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.
  9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got over the "release compound" worries shortly after I started road racing way back years ago. If I pop new tires on and I absolutely have to head out onto wet conditions I might be a tad tentative as that has been the one and only time I've wrecked due to the issue and it was basically a slick and it had just started raining which is when it's the slickest due to oil and grease not having had a chance to get washed off. Otherwise,,,,,, I treat em like tires.

Saying that, I mount my own and I live on a 1/4 mile long gravel/dirt road so by the time I'm at the tarmac,,,, dey be scuffed.
    smilin jack and Soldier311 like this.
  10. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    Getting a pair installed Saturday morning on my Wee. My stock rear lasted 6,000 miles. Hopefully the 705 will exceed that.
  11. kohburn

kohburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I loved my 705's just don't get much life out of the rear tire (5,000m).
    the front 705 will probably last 20,000 miles at its current wear rate.
  12. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    Eh, we'll see. If it's only ~5,000 miles, it's not quite worth it if K60s or PR4s will go ~10,000.
  13. kohburn

kohburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    that's why I'm trying a mitas e07 right now. contemplating dropping a 100% street tire on a second set of wheels for my daily commute and save the dual purpose tires for trips that involve trails.
  14. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    My choice really came down to 705 vs Mitas E-07. Since 90-95% of my mileage will be on asphalt commuting to/from work, sun and rain, I went with the 705.
  15. kohburn

kohburn Long timer

Oddometer:
    so far I like both - the 705 is quieter than the e07 - will be a few months riding before I can compare lifespan.
  16. Noisytim

Noisytim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had 705 and e07 on my V-strom. I got 15,000km out of both the front and rear e07 and only about 8,000km out of the rear of the 705. The e07 are better value and feel better in the wet, really good in all offroad situations apart from mud, but they are noisy. The 705 front tyre profile on the v-strom seems to fall into corners and makes the bike a bit more flickable, they are ok off road and you get a bit more cornering grip in the dry. I will stick with Mitas - it is a great allrounder. Cost per km plus versalitity - the Mitas win every time.
  17. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    Shinkos are ON. Only about 100 miles so far, but I like them. Bike just falls into turns and took a little getting use to.

[​IMG]
  18. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Odd, that the 704 has so many riders feeling the same turn-in sensation. 1st ride after mounting them, I almost dropped it and pulled over thinking one of my tires was going flat. That goes away or gets internalised as normal very quickly and now have become my goto 80/20 tire. That being said, the 804 feels neutral from mile one and is nearly as good on dry pavement. If they could just put more life in the 705, Shinko would have one of the best tires in the market. My last 705 got me 7,200 miles with a little left over. Not bad... not great. 006.JPG
  19. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    First stop light I got to I bounced the front up and down to see if the tire was flat. :D
  20. Zapp22

Zapp22 ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer:
    for the mighty DR650, i'm thinking of getting the 150 for the rear [17], keep GP1 on the front for nose grip.
    sure hope the 150 clears everything ok. looks roomy back there