Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a DR650 and I'm known for trying combinations that are not, well,,,,,, normal but I don't think the 150 out back on the DR will work well. It'll prolly mount up and clear since motards run 160s but that 150 is just too much tire out back and it's not really needed. The rim will be too narrow for the 150 and will pinch the tire resulting either a wash in tire contact patch or even less due to the tighter radius. It'll weigh a lot more than a 130/17 705 too hurting acceleration. If it were a knobby on sand or mud, I could see going up a couple of sizes out back but I think a 130/17 {or even a 120 for that matter} will give just as much traction in every situation as a 150/17 in this application and will weigh less.
    BlueLghtning likes this.
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Ok. I've had 1 set of 705s in last few years but now only run the rear 705s and K60 in front on my S10. 1st set a few years ago was 705 Bias Ply and I blew a large hunk of tread off the rear tire at 125mph. Think I am lucky to be alive. Whoopy they gave me a new tire! Since then been a little leery of them but have since tried the newer Radial 705 Rear tire and seemed Ok with no problems usually getting 8000-9000kms out of the rears. My pal put one on the rear of his Triumph Tiger 800 recently and with about 3000kms on it has blown out a 1 inch chunk of tread off right in the middle of the tire. This is it! I have one more 705 rear to use up and then going to try the Mitas E07 rear. No more Shinkos/Stinkos.
  3. Soldier311

Soldier311 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can guarantee you that you'll drag a peg in a lean before you break a 705 loose.
  4. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Any other folks with input on these with streetbike sizes? I got the dirt bug on a cross-country trip with my Ducati Monster and looking for something a hair more dirt oriented than the PR4's I used. All of the 90/10 tires out there don't look to be any better in gravel or sand than a pure street tire. These 705's appear to have some meat to them. Would need to go from a 180/55 to 170/60 on the rear, but that shouldn't be a problem.
  5. purplepeopleeater

purplepeopleeater The Official VW Nut

Oddometer:
    I used theses on my vstrom, mixed 2500mile riding.....really loose stuff I think they aren't very good, harder packed stuff it's OK but I hit some clay/sand stuff and it wouldn't grab at all.

for the price, I don't regret it though, it's wearing good
  6. JoshM

JoshM mid10josh

Oddometer:
    I have ~3,000 on mine (front and rear). The fronts still look like it has 0 miles on it. I didn't believe the reviews that were saying some were getting ~15,000 miles out of a front tire. But, I'm now a believer. The rear shows a bit of wear, but not bad. I think I'll get at least another 4-5k miles out of it. I'm a 98% on road rider, but they do fine for me in the dirt and gravel.
  7. Pjammer

Pjammer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put about 30% of my miles on gravel and hard pack, and got 5000 miles out of my rear. On a 05 tiger 955. Was very happy with the performance
  8. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    So milage is about on par with a long-life sportbike tire. Good news. I'll need something that will get me over the highway a few hours into the desert before hitting some very mild hardpack and gravel roads/trails. Anything more narley than that and I'll need a bike a little more dedicated to the mission.
  9. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    Changing my rear at 5100 miles. It's really squared off. Possibly another 500 miles. Front Tire has 9000+ miles . It has maybe 1000-1500 left on it . I plan to change both this week. I'm running 705's on my Quota. Excellent tire for the money.
  10. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will give the 705 rear tire credit for a very stiff sidewall. I picked up a nail less than 250 miles into the life of the tire. The nail had a curve in it and I tried to install a Dynaplug into the hole. Evidently, the curved passage wouldn't accept the straight tool and plug...the plug 'stuck' but evidently didn't follow the path of the nail. No leak that I could detect, so went for a short shakedown ride to get confidence in the repair. About 10 miles from home, I stopped to check the air pressure and it was down to 15 lb (from 42). And the sticky portion of the plug was no longer visible in the hole. Damn! I then rode back home, slowly, not topping 20 mph, and made it without any problems. I could feel the rear squirm a bit when going around sharp corners, but nothing dramatic. Got home and the tire is still in good shape. However, I'm now faced with pulling the wheel and patching the tire from inside (I've posted previously about how much trouble I have spooning the tire back onto the rim!).
  11. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    You may need to adjust your technique. I've found the 705/805 series to be some of the easiest tires to change. Make sure the bead is in the well opposite of where you are levering and take smaller bites with the levers.
    Jud likes this.
  12. youkiddin

youkiddin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had good luck installing using large zip ties and a warm tire.
  13. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    The Shinko 705 is a really good tire on my NC700X...

I went with the 120/70/17 and 170/60/17...

They have a little buzz vibe at low speeds , but smooth out when zooming around...

They look cool too..:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    GravelRider likes this.
  14. lesman

lesman Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer:
    Shinko 705's some of the easiest tires that I've every installed on a bike. Tires on a Honda 70/90's were equally as easy to install.
    I dismounted/installed the tires on my Quota using spoons 4-5 minutes per wheel.
  15. wvtaco

wvtaco Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wore out my first 705. Just around 7000 miles out of the rear.
    Got 7500 then 7000 out of trail wings. So the 705 wore about the same. The front is showing some feathering at 8500 miles but it will likely get double that.
  16. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    a few words on the shinnko 705..........
    [​IMG]

so ive put about 12,000km on the shinko 705's various situations ranging from hard core offroad to hard core cornering on pavement and everything in between. i would say about 10% off road, 40" off pavement, and 50% on road.

after 12,000km im at about 50% thread left in the rear. the front has barely even worn at all with about 90% thread left.

for the first 1000km this tire was actually very good. infact hands down one of the best 50/50 tires ive even ridden.
    it had plenty of bite on the concrete, cornered very predictably and was very confidence inspiring.

off road/off pavement the tire was also very predictable and had a surprising amount of grip. even in muddy conditions the tire maintained just enough grip to get me though just about everything on my CRF500L.

HOWEVER.

after the first 1000km the tire became "different".
    it started to loose cornering stability both on and off road, and taking it off road started to become a hassle if there was any signs on mud or loose dirt.

now at 12,000km (50% thread left) the tire has become down right dangerous.

several times while i was casually doing a corner on pavement the back would start to slide out, this was primarily due to the "hump" created by the center of the tire thread starting to wear down. i could feel when i crossed over the "hump" in the tire. once past the hump the tire behaved normally. i attribute this primarily to the hard compound used for the shinko 705. the hump does not deform enough to grip the concrete while other tires like the shinko 244 would deform just enough to provide adequate grip.

im not exactly upset as i got 12,000km and still have half a tire left and technically i could ride it for probably another 10,000km. get perhaps 20-25,000km out of it but thats only if i was riding strictly road.

[​IMG]

i find that the shinko 244 to be a far better tire after the first 1000km. the only down side to the shinko 244 is that i can only get 15-20,000km out of it so i just wears out faster. but it preforms well all the way until death, unlike the shinko 705 which only really works well for the first 1/4 of the tire life. the shinko 244 works well for about 3/4 of its thread life.

i also find the shinko 244 to work very well in the mudd ( for a 50/50 tire) due to those very larg side knobs. the same cannot be said about the shinko 705...

i will be buying another set of shinko 244 real soon!

perhaps i find the shinko 705 to not preform so well because im using it on a bike that its not exactly inteded for.

my crf500L is 344lb's and uses 21/18. this tire might be more at home on a heavier bike like a KLR or something around that weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here is my crf500L with my shinko 244's after about 15,000km. the tires are almost totally worn out but i was still able to ride the bike comfortably and with much confidence on the loose stuff.

[​IMG]
  17. wpoll

wpoll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow - 12,000km to 50% worn? I'm lucky to see 9,000km to bald on my 705's..... Different bike, different pressures etc.

While I do get a little flattening of the profile, it never becomes even remotely noticeable.
  18. michaelkozera

michaelkozera Long timer

Oddometer:
    i get alot of life out of my tires because i ride alot of off road and off pavement, which as most know prolongs the life of most tires.

im running a 120/80 -18 and a 90/90-21.

i also lean my bike over alot, like my ass almost comes off the seat kind of lean.
  19. William Wolfen

William Wolfen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a set of 705's on my Vstrom. Happy with them so far. Good tire for 80/20 or perhaps even more street, but wouldn't rate it well for difficult loose sloppy stuff.

I can hang with superbikes in the the corners if I feel like pushing that hard, and they do "OK" off pavement. I can definitely say I prefer the off pavement characteristics of the 244's I have on my DR, but with the longevity they have on the DR, I can safely say I'd shred the rear in no time flat on the Vstrom.

I've got about ~2000 miles on them so far. The front looks new, the rear is showing some wear but isn't bad yet. Hoping to get more than the 3-3.5k I got out of my last 244 rear on the DR. Current estimate puts me in around 4-5k on the 705 rear, and I'm not shy with the throttle.
  20. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:

Apples and apples,,,,,,, a rider/bike combo that gets 5K on a Shinko 705 may well not get 10K outta the K60. I did not get 10K outta the K60 I have,,,, be lucky to get 8K but that is riding local and I am rough on tires when riding locally. I get around 3-4K outta 705s in the same conditions.

Saying that,,,, I hate the K60 and would only run it if I were doing a trip in which running the K60 would allow me not to have to replace a tire during the trip.