1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Shinko 705's

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Big_John, Mar 15, 2009.

1. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Give G Borque in New Brunswick a call and see what they'll charge & if they carry them.

2. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Glad to read that people seem to be happy with these tires. My front BattleWing now has about 9000 miles on it and looks like it will need replacing in another couple thousand miles or so; I'll definitely be putting on a set of 705s next.

--mark
  3. Uncle Larry

Uncle Larry The most suave of stooges

Oddometer:
    The tires are on the wheels and the wheels are on the bike.

I rode around for about 20 miles or so to get them a bit scrubbed in before the rain started yet again.

The front tires feels different. I can't say if it's bad or good... just different. Bear in mind that this is the most aggressive tread I have ever had on a front tire.

The guy who mounted the tires did not have good things to say about Shinko sport bike tires. He said they were too hard for aggressive sport bike riding. However, he was impressed by the 705s and said that for the price and how I will be riding, the tires looked like a good deal.

As I ride more (when the rain finally stops) I will post further details.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    for adv tires, harder rubber = longer miles.
    that's one reason the metz me880 last so long.

question for you and your tire choice. isn't florida just straight paved boring roads?
  5. Uncle Larry

Oddometer:
    Yup!

But I try to get into the mountains (NC, TN, GA, SC, etc) at least once a year.
  6. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    right on.
  7. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    I have an odd request...

Can someone with a Shinko 705 150/70-17 mounted up go measure the overall width of the tire at its widest point?

On my Dirty Bastard VX800, 150/70-17 is the original tire size, but it's a pretty tight fit with most street tires (Avon Storm, Bridgestone BT-020). I'm wondering if the 705 is much wider than a street tire would be.

The VX800 is currently wearing a nearly worn out Distanzia 140/80-17 on the back (less than 4,000 miles, and probably less than 500 to the tread wear indicators :fitz ) and it's sporting a fresh nail hole picked up somewhere in the back woods of Brown County earlier today. :bluduh

Distianzia rears are running $160, so around $60 - $70 for the Shinko sounds pretty damn good to me, even better if the damn thing doesn't evaporate in a couple of trips around the block like the Distanzia. :evil
  8. Trailslapper

Trailslapper Slapper o Trail

Oddometer:
    Funny, just saw this post and I ordered my 705s from Bourques last thursday.:clap

FYI - Full-Bore Marketing is the Canadian Distributor, their order codes for my 1150GS sizes are:
    21-907
    21-908
    Not sure which code is for front and which is for rear, but I assume the 908 is the rear.
    Marc at Bourques Knows- http://www.gbourque.com/

I'm really not expecting them to last forever, or be the best tires I have ever used, but I can buy 2 rears and a front for less than the cost of one Tourance rear, so it'll be a good experiment

Full Bore said they likely will not be available until End June
  9. Uncle Larry

Oddometer:
    I had to eyeball a bit, but I measure 5.75" across (wide)
  10. Dyno

Dyno Conquistador

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

5.8ish inches, V strom rim.

Comparison Photo, Shinko 705 vs. old Maxxis Presa Detour:
    [​IMG]

Shinko has 8 to 10mm tread depth, but narrow and "V" shaped grooves. Maxxis had 6mm tread depth, much more open grooves.
  11. bwringer

Oddometer:

AWESOME!

Thanks, guys!

Looks like it'll fit. :smile6

I've got about 155 - 160mm of room, and 5.8inches works out to 148mm.

Now to find someone who has these in stock... TiresUnlimited will be getting a call bright and early Tuesday.
  12. Uncle Larry

Oddometer:
    Chapparal has the cheapest but I don't know if they are in stock.

Motorcycle Superstore has them in stock but expect to pay about 20 bucks more for a set.
  13. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Currently I have a set of 721's on the bike, as I knew my early season riding would be mostly pavement. I am very impressed with these tires. Not once have I felt them 'give' or creep in the corners and with 2.5k miles on them, they show nearly no wear...despite me dropping them to 20psi and running a good bit of dirt and a 5 mile jaunt of single track where the tires probably circled 10 miles due to near constant spin-outs.

I was able to get 8,400 out of the stocker, TrailWings and then 6,500 miles out of the Presa Detours.

I probably won't order any 705's time soon, as the first of July, I am putting the TKC's on the bike (I have two sets) and will run those the rest of the riding season, since I will be doing WestFest, the Colorado VStrom Gathering in Ouray and the Big Dog Ride......all requiring TKC's!!!!

Anyway, I will continue to watch this thread over the months and pay close attention to the Tire/Ride Reports. I suspect my Strom will have these mounted some day soon.

Thanks to everyone for such great reporting so far!!!!!
  14. bwringer

Oddometer:
    TiresUnlimited was out of stock, as was Chaparral. :fitz The guy at TU said they should get more in 5 to 7 days. Couldn't find them anywhere else (no joy at Dennis Kirk, Tire Express, American Moto Tire or SW Moto Tire).

MotorcycleSuperstore showed them in stock, so much as I hated to, I placed the order there, even though they listed at $11 more than anyone else. Lots of people have been burned by bullshit "in stock - ships same day" indications at MS, so we'll see what happens. Even if they don't actually have the tire in stock, no one else does so I'm no worse off than with any other vendor.

The good news is that they're offering free shipping on orders over $75 now, so I added a new face shield I needed anyway and saved a few bucks that way.
  15. olsen_karl

olsen_karl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I ordered 3 Shinko 705s from Motorcycle Superstore last week; they showed "in stock" at the time too, and arrived in about 7-8 days.

I haven't mounted mine yet. Need to get to that sometime this week or weekend...
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    interesting how the tread grooves are V in shape.
    the grooves are the largest when new and then shrink over time w/ wear.
    towards the end, the grooves look to be 1/4 of the original size.
    this should help milk additonlal mileage at the end of the life of the tire as more rubber is on the road.
    it's all about the center strip of the rear tire.

time will tell.

anyone have any dirt time on these yet???
  17. pilot

pilot ...

Oddometer:
    I talked to my local dealer yesterday and he is going to be stocking at least one set of these for the local KLR and V-Strom guys. :D

Liberty Cycle Center in Liberty, Mo.
  18. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set of these tires so I would have a cheap set of spares on hand.
    Ordered Wednesday from Tires Unlimited, and received them yesterday. They were not in their warehouse, but shipped from Idaho.
    I've had good luck w/ these guys so far. Not the cheapest, but pretty fair. $137 shipped.
  19. littlebhatia

littlebhatia Adventurer

Oddometer:
    need pics of them on a strom !!
  20. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    +1 you guys have em. who mounted em???