Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Interested in what you find after more use.

It's telling how Shinko did add some very light groves from the factory.
    They wanted a new tire to have some lateral grip? While you got used to it's initial feel?

The problem I keep reading is when you're running straight & on the gas in loose traction, the tire wants walk sideways.

The big paddle has no problem with forward grip, but that large block has no bitting edges to keep it from moving sideways.

A somewhat similar tire, the Dunlop D908RR, has some edges to help with this.

images.jpeg
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you my long lost twin brother?
    Jud and CoatsEast like this.
  3. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I need to wear down these Anakee III's on my KLR so I can get back on some Shinkos.
    I loved these on my last KLR.
    Any news on how they've held up with some siping added for side traction? It would be great to still get decent mileage from these after adding some grooves to help keep it straight in the mudz.
  4. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    Little history to explain my questions.....

Owned a 2007 Suzuki WeeStrom and tried the Shinko 705 three times back in 2008-2010 (the third set were warranty tires, because of the cracks in the second set). In all three instances, the tires developed cracks in the groves. I eventually quit buying them. I have never purchased another set of Shinkos since. (Exception.... The SR244 Golden Boy's are outstanding on my XR650L.)

Back in 2014, right after I purchased my GS..... a buddy and I were riding in West Texas....he owning/riding a 2012 WeeStrom. We had made a run from Presidio to Marfa (riding way too fast up over 100mph), and then toward Valentine and then toward McDonald Observatory. When we got up in the mountains, I offered to let him ride my GS. Throwing a leg over his WeeStrom, I began to chase him down through the twisties..... running 30-50mph. Immediately the bike felt really wrong. I just thought.... wow the GS is such a better bike. But as the miles progressed, I found myself feeling very uneasy and sometimes scared around corners. Once we arrived at an intersection, we switched bikes back and 5 miles down the road his rear tire blew out. Upon inspection, massive cracks occurred all over the tire. This wasn't a PSI issue, as we checked our pressures in Marfa at the gas station and all tires were in spec range. Yeah.....he was running Shinko 705's.

I have always thought, because I do a lot of 2-up riding with bags packed and weights right at the limit........ figured the Shinko's just didn't do well with a load on them..... or in the case of the West Texas trip..... at high speeds.

So I really like the look of the 804/805's..... I really want to give them a go, but I am honestly concerned to try Shinko's again.

Can anyone comment on using the 804/805's with one of the massive adventure bikes with heavy loads and them performing acceptably??????

Thanks,
  5. abruzzi

abruzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don’t remember the time frame, but when the 705s first came out, certain sizes had a propensity for tread separation. Later on that was supposedly fixed. I’ve only run 6-7000 miles on a single set of 804/805s and didn’t encounter anything unexpected.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the 6-7000 miles was on a 2004 R1150GSA. So big, heavy, sometimes fully loaded, and 70% high speed, and they still had a couple thousand to go before the bike was stolen. So I have no issue with them.
  6. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've only run these 804/805's on a KLR 650, but I'm 250 lbs, and regularly run 80-85mph with a couple of week's worth of gear, and have never had so much as a flat in 10k miles or so per set of tires, over a total of 30k miles. I'm not likely to ever purchase a different tire for my KLR as long as these are available. I can tolerate their handling shortcomings in mud, since they're more or less flawless in every other situation, and I have a smaller bike dedicated to pure offroad riding.
  7. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ran 804/805 on my KTM 990 two up, full camping load for two weeks for 6000 miles rear, 8000 front without cracking issues. Ran 804 only on Vstrom 1000 two up full load two tires 16,000 miles no such issues either. In both cases, it included 50/50 dirt/paved. With plenty of high speed stuff.

Having said that, I found the 805s performance off pavement, particularly in mud absolutely unacceptable. If your riding does not include mud, I would not worry about it. Personally, I will not run an 805 ever again, regardless of price..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Tall Man likes this.
  8. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMHO Shinko is overly optimistic in their speed/load ratings, especially for rear tire. Just on the recent trip observed rear 712 melt off from running at constant 75mph between gas stops (~200mi) solo on mildly loaded bike. Pressure was up to 65psi and tire was way overheated impossible to touch and this is with temperatures in 35-50F range. After cooling it off and pumping up to 44psi it was running and wearing normal.

You need to run them at much higher pressure and check on temps if you want them to last on highway. If you overheat then you have what you describe.. just saying
  9. The Haymaker

The Haymaker Testing Newtons Laws......

Oddometer:
    Many sets of 705's and 805's. I pound the snot out of them on and off road on an 800XCX.

Never an issue and recommend to anyone.
    Jud likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    John, that's old news on the old design.
    The Haymaker likes this.
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've done over 50k miles on a GSA with 804/805s and at the time, I weighed 320lbs, ran with 3pc luggage 100% of the time and often another 30lbs or so in the back.

Never an issue whatsoever run at max psi.

Now I'm running the rear on on my 16 (front to come when I run out of front tires in the garage) and it's just as good but I'm down 100lbs.
    Not a single issue.
  12. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I've not experienced this with 804/805 or 741s but haven't run the 712s.
    I run max PSI generally but have go a few lbs higher on the rear on the 16 gsa to keep TPMS happy.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  13. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmm.. I think I found about 20 of those pounds if you want them back.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    cyclopathic and Downs like this.
  14. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    My son reminded me that I did buy a Shinko in 2015. I purchased and mounted up some 009's on my 1150RT, right before the Colorado Classic, Iron Butt Ride. (I rode 1,137 miles in 18.5 hours.) That tire also developed two small cracks.

Hopefully Bill..... Shinko has fixed their issues, cause....... Just placed the order for 804/805's. I'll give them a go this coming summer. I probably have another 3k miles on some Anakee 3's and then will mount them up.

By the way, I had the same exact experience with 712's back in 2009. Loaded WeeStrom, tour of New Mexico..... Rear tire was super hot the whole trip. I took it off with about 2,000 miles on it and about 60% wear.

15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    The E07 Dakar rear is only tire I found which you need to run at lower pressure to last longer. Really 32psi 2up loaded to max at 85mph? no prob.

I have a habit of taking glove off and laying hand on tire at gas stops. Quick way to detect issue, much less effort than fishing a guage out of the pocket, getting on the knees and trying to find valve stem. And if tire is overheating pressure isn't true indicator it will be way higher.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Same here. Too many 705s to count on my DL650 but I have to admit the rears wear like butter. The 805 lasts the same or better. 804/Mitas combo seems to be my pick for a big bike that sees and off tarmac at all.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  17. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Funny, I'm running 805/Mitas E10 Dakar combo right now and trying to decide if I want to do that again. I prefer the street grip on the 804 over the E10 but I have a set of E10's waiting.
    The rear, while a better offroad tire, only lasted me 3000 miles where the 805 lasts 8k. The front Mitas still looks very good though after 4k miles.
  18. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm running a E07 rear with the 804. I too tried a E10 and damn,,,,, I think I mighta got something a 2K miles. Nope!

I do like the E07 though. Good as it gets for a tire that'll work OK on and off tarmac while still offering a modicum of longevity. I tried a K60 and hated it on tarmac. I would run a CT before running a derned K60 again. It does have it's place though. I figure a trip to Prudhoe Bay to Key West maybe???? :nod Even then I think I would try to baby a set of E07s because it seems they last about 75% of what a K60 does. Still good mileage but much better on tarmac if you are the type that drags shit when playing.:ricky
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  19. Wildfire_SK

Wildfire_SK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I felt as though I was paying attention but not systematically measuring tread depth over time, but I believe that 150 km at 150km/h in +30˚C temps last summer put as much wear on the rear 805 as the previous one or two thousand km before that. I was at 32 PSI one up with maybe 40 lbs of stuff on the back. Not sure if it got hot and wore more quickly than normal, or if I was just not paying attention and the tire was previously more worn than I realized.

Personally I like the tire for what I do but would not suggest it for fast two up riding on the pavement.
  20. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    They last much longer than K60 here is a thread on this. When we were coming from Alaska at about 9k I was 100% sure it will not last home had appointment scheduled in Calgary:
    http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/1237542/