Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 805 dropped me on a gravel rd twice last summer, 2nd time caught my leg under my left bag and broke it. Slipped down once earler on a right hand curve. I will not ever buy another 805 due to the lack of side grip. (Does pretty well on the pavement). I currently have gone back to MEFO Super Explorer on the rear and either a 606 or TR8 on the front. Tractionator Adventure's look good also. I've run 1 set of K60's. Front doesn't have enough knobs, rear is like plastic: scary on the paved twistys.
    greg.279 and KTM Mike like this.
  2. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I have never noticed any difference on gravel with any tire, from street tires to full knobbies, the rocks still roll around under them a bit. I've ridden thousands of miles of gravel on both Michelin Anakee III's and Shinko 804/805's, some on Mezteler Lasertecs, Avon Roadrider, Trailrider, and Kenda k270's, and k760's.
    I don' mean to cheapen the fact that you broke your leg, but I will argue that if you were on gravel, the crash wasn't caused by the tires, as long as they had air in them, and they were made of rubber.
    A good friend of mine had his bike slide out from under him while we were riding a little too quick on fresh, wet pavement, with fresh paint, and he blamed it on the Shinkos until we walked back and found evidence that he crossed the slick center line.
    The paint is the slickest part of the road.
    The Haymaker likes this.
  3. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    It is very easy to demonstrate how the 805 rear moves sideways on the throttle on anything but pavement, more so than any other tire ive ever used.
    Tall Man and KTM Mike like this.
  4. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in 100% agreement with Thunderdog. While I can not speak to his specific incident, I have had issues the lack of lateral traction on the 805. In fact, the frequency of back end sliding out was so bad, my wife commented often asking what was going on. I then later had back end suddenly let loose in mud, on a very slight off camber, and dropped the bike with my beautiful wife on board. Not acceptable. I've since switched to Goldentyre GT723. HUGE improvement, though much shorter life.

I'm no newb to off pavement riding. Former District 14 Enduro racer, many thousands of hours and miles in all conditions on and off road. Tires make a HUGE difference. Hell I've bought bikes that came for example with a given tire, wrong for the condition s and terrian being ridden, found the bike horrible, swapped tires to find the bike fantastic in same conditions. I think to suggest any tire that's got air in it therefore is not the issue, is risky. Hell, on my woods bike, I can feel if air pressure is off by a few psi, can adjust it and feel big improvement.

Of course over the years, countless riding buddies might find they hated the tires I loved, and visa versa. To each their own. Use what works for you. Shinko 805 does not work for me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
  5. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, they do that for sure, but I only ever noticed in mud and wet grass. I've never seen any improvement with any tire one way or the other on dry gravel. Lateral traction on gravel sucks on a motorcycle, as far as I've ever experienced.
  6. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I've noticed its lack of lateral stability in gravel compared to other tires, and apparently many others have as well.

As said above I will not buy another one.
    The front tire (804) is great, I will run those again on front
    but the rear was a no go for me.
  7. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    Sounds more like rider error
  8. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I was trying not to say this, because I wasn't there. But I've ridden several thousand miles on gravel with these tires, quite often up to and over 60 mph, and have never had an issue, although I have experience on dirtbikes, and use those techniques to keep control, and of course, I slow down a little for the curves.
    So far, I've personally put 20k miles on 2 sets of these, and just bought the 3rd set about 1500 miles ago. I've gotten used to how they perform in muddy conditions, and have no complaints anywhere else.
    I rode 60 miles of pavement in the rain yesterday, and I truly felt more confident on my Shinkos than I did on my Anakee III's on my other bike. Half was done on a 2008 KLR with Michelin Anakee III's, and the trip home was on my 2006 with shinko 804/805 combo.
    The Haymaker likes this.
  9. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    It’s always rider error there is no auto pilot

I prefer tires that work with me, not against
    And I do not feel like adding yet another correction factor in for a tire that behaves differently than others

The shinko 805 lacks lateral stability and is one more thing to deal with while riding, I prefer to use different tires and not worry about that sort of thing
    greg.279, thechief86 and KTM Mike like this.
  10. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Buying the wrong tires for your riding style can also be considered rider error.
    My only point is that gravel inherently lacks lateral stability on motorcycles, and I've never ridden with a tire where this wasn't the case.
    nk14zp and The Haymaker like this.
  11. Tall Man

Tall Man I'm out in the club and I'm sippin' that bub

Oddometer:
    I agree with the spirit of what you've been saying, chief86. As it concerns traction on gravel, though, we must acknowledge that it is a matter of degrees, where even modest differences may matter. In my experience and the experience of many others (as this thread clearly attests), the Shinko 805 does compromise lateral traction in a manner unlike any other brand or model of DOT knobby that I've used on my DR650.

The optics of the 805, meaning the quasi-paddle design, promises a surfeit of traction that the tire simply does not deliver in as broad a manner as we may reasonably require. This is the first tire in memory that I've decided to remove and discard long before its service life is consumed.
    thechief86 likes this.
  12. dmulk

dmulk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Best BIG Adventure bike tire I've every used. I'm about to spoon (and by spoon I mean "Zip Tie") my third set on. I've been leaned over two up in a frog strangler in bear tooth pass and these were like glue on the wet pavement. Off road they work great....but I don't ride my SuperT like a dirtbike. I have a dirt bike for that stuff...

That said, I wouldn't run these on my WR250R (I'll stick with Non-DOT enduro knobs for that stuff).

YMMV.
    <D>
    Downs and thechief86 like this.
  13. AZMtnRider

AZMtnRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love these tires. Used them on the AZ BDR, Arizona rocks, dry pavement, wet pavement, gravel roads, two track, Colorado mountains and everywhere in between. They pushed me up Beartooth pass where I met the dozer that had just opened the pass up. He was coming down as I went up. The mud was very deep, but the 804/805’s got me 3/4 of the way up until I buried the bike up past the axles in the mud. They are great tires. Just like anything else, know your equipment and use it appropriately. If you need to slow down on the gravel or muddy corners, do so.
    Jud, NZRalphy, Downs and 1 other person like this.
  14. Wildfire_SK

Wildfire_SK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on my second 805

No tire is perfect, but it's good enough that I would not hesitate to buy again.

Judging by the seat of my pants on loose gravel and muddy roads opening up the tread a bit with a tire grover significantly increased lateral grip. In my opinion this is how they should have made it in the first place. I'm not sure how my modification will affect longevity on the road but it didn't seem to affect handling on the pavement (which is excellent, wet or dry). This tire does suck in snow, but that doesn't matter to people smart enough not to ride in snow :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

thechief86 likes this.
  15. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I've been real interested in ding a little siping on a set of these to solve the one issue that so many complain about with lateral stability, but was concerned with how it would affect the longevity of the tire. What has been your experience in terms of mileage? I got a solid 10k miles from a rear on my KLR 650 on the last 2 805's I've run, and now I'm on my 3rd. If I could get over 5k miles still with some cuts in the tread bars, I'd keep buying these tires and groove them myself from now on, and never look back.
  16. mtnlove

mtnlove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just put on my 6th set of 804/805's. First set to go on my Super Tenere. Love the way they feel and changed the S10 for the better. Interested to see how long they last with the 1200 vs my old 650. At $185 per set they are well worth the cash and are the best tires I've ridden.
    jimmy da fish likes this.
  17. Wildfire_SK

Wildfire_SK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will let you know in a year :)

My first unmodified 805 lasted 13k km (8k miles) on a NC700X. I have less than 2k km on the current tire and it looks fine so far.
    thirsty 1 and thechief86 like this.
  18. musselshell

musselshell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had a set of 804/805 installed and balanced by my dealer. Bike is a 2013 V-Strom 650. Now at about 800 miles. The front will pickup rocks and scrape under the fender, but not too bad so far.
    I've ridden mostly two lane highway and hard packed dirt and gravel roads. I also played around a little with lite mud and greasy grass. The rear does slip a little sideways, so easy does it!
    They are a little noisy but pretty smooth at highway speeds.
    Yesterday I was forced to jump on the interstate for ten miles to hook up with another road. Speed limit here in Montana is 80 mph on interstates and 70 on highways.
    At 80 to 85 I experienced some wobbling and head shake. I will avoid the interstate from now on.
    My fuel mileage dropped from 53 mpg to 48 mpg.
    I like the 705 MUCH better and will go back to them at my next tire change.
  19. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    IDRIDR, cyclopathic and thechief86 like this.
  20. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Very odd... did you change geometry with different tire sizes or have the bike loaded differently?
    I've had them up to some very high speeds for long periods of time and found them very smooth and extremely stable.
    The only vibration they give me is when the front is worn and going slow.

Maybe because it's on the GS and I have a lot more weight on them... I ran at max inflation on the 07 and on the 16 I run over max by a bit to keep the TPMS happy.