Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. musselshell

musselshell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same tire size. I was riding solo with a tail bag and tank bag. Inflation pressure was 33/33. It happened on a long sweeper going over the Yellowstone River on I-90 West of Columbus, Mt.
    It was unnerving as I have 22,800 mile on this bike and I never experienced that before.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  2. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I noticed some light head shake at triple digit speeds with the 804 on my Super Tenere. It started out very slight and pretty much you can ignore but once up in the teens, it's gets bad enough that I back off and I'm not one that gets spooked easily. For example, I have no issues laying darkies outta corners on bikes that will do so easily. I have no issues running weird tire combos including tires mounted backwards, tubeless with tubes, tube type without tubes and even car tires. The 804 definitely contributes to some head shake at high speeds but man, it's a knobby and it's not rocket science to understand that maybe knobbies shouldn't be running 100+mph! :thumb:nod
  3. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wee is prone to headshake especially with OEM Motech TraX; if you think 804 is bad you have to try Mitas E07 front. Also check your rear preload it takes alot of clicks to get it to 2-3 lines and running Wee2 with insufficient preload makes Wee wobble.

705 is a great tire if mud/sand is no concern.
  4. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    Well, let me inject my "option" on The Shinko's .
    Initially I had the 705's on my 012 Wee Adventure . Ran the rear almost smooth at about 10k give or take. Front still looked almost new. Replaced rear w/an 805 and once scrubbed in had no issues at all ride wise.
    Traded the bike, and rear had about 1400mi on and was barely showing any ware.
    Just ordered a set for my new to me DR350SE. Will see how they perform on a lighter bike.
    1 set w/ tubes and rim locks for $180. Cool.
    PaydayGabe in Vegas .
    thechief86 and mtnlove like this.
  5. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Being in Nevada, I bet you won't have much problem with the 805 rear, since mud isn't the most common obstacle you'll encounter.
    However, on a dr350 (I have one) I chose a Kenda k270 for the rear, and a k760 for the front, with excellent results so far, riding 75% off road, mostly in TN, but some in Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah, and a few hundred miles of gravel and pavement along the way. I don't guess I'd recommend the 805 rear for a small bike, simply because there are better options for stuff with less weight and that is likely to see hairier trails.
    Either way, let us know what you think running it on the small bike, and what kind of terrain you end up riding with it.
    scout68 and jimmy da fish like this.
  6. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Yeah, , mud is a pretty random occurance. But it does happen..
    I understand the concern about the " lateral stability" due to the tread pattern.
    This is an opportunity to adjust rider input which definitely effects the capability of any tire type.
    As I've said, , I'm a fan of Shinko products and look forward to test these on a new steed.
    I'll be in touch. G. :ricky
    thechief86 likes this.
  7. bomose

bomose Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love them on my 990. Haven't had them in mud, but have in deep sand. Does pretty good. Love them on the street. I'm not riding them hard, though. Too old. I do a lot of 2 up in dirt and pavement.
  8. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had an 805 on my KTM950adv for about 5-600 miles. No complaints so far. The bike with bald tires is still more capable than I am as a rider.
  9. Wildfire_SK

Wildfire_SK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm one of the guys that opened up the tread a bit with a tire groover

We finally got some rain the other day and the clay base on the gravel road turned soupy.
    The rear 805 tracked just fine, better than the half worn TKC80 on the front, these were conditions that I had real trouble with last year with an unmodified tire.
    IMG_20180526_182430.jpg

Just one more anecdote saying the tire is greatly improved with a bit of light modification.
    The_Eccentric, thechief86 and Jud like this.
  10. thechief86

Oddometer:
    VERY nice! Any comment as to how the extra grooves have affected longevity? I am about to order a tire groover and my next 805, would be great if I could see 5-7k miles from a modified 805!
  11. Wildfire_SK

Wildfire_SK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I told someone earlier I would report back in the fall regarding longevity, but so far the groves don't appear to be affecting how they wear at all. My unmodified one was pretty worn out in just over a year at 13k km (8k miles)
    thechief86 likes this.
  12. musselshell

musselshell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I have about 1300 miles on the Shinkos now. The rear has worn down about a quarter of tread depth. Not good, not bad just average.
    Yesterday I pounded out a short back country ride of about 80 miles South of the Snowies. The night before we got pounded with thunder storms with tons of rain sending out flood warnings around the region.
    I should have known better!
    These back country roads are very well maintained as they provide access for ranchers and to missile sites. But after the storms they do get "soft". The ranchers use the roads all the time so there was already some ruts through the soft areas.
    The front tracked great when crossing over the muddy ruts and pot holes. The rear goes sideways RIGHT NOW!!
    The 705 front and rear, even though not as aggressive as the 804/805 seemed to track better in those kinds of situations.

Well, I was wondering what the 804/805 combo was all about and now I know. I'm sure that when things dry out they will work out just fine, but I am done with them.
    The Michelin Wilds look tempting.
    KTM Mike likes this.
  13. thechief86

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they suck in mud. I'm surprised they're wearing so fast for you, though.
    What kind of bike are you on?
    This info may keep riders with your same bike from buying the wrong tires.
    Wildfire, it's been me asking about longevity the whole time, I didn't realize you were the same person as before. Thanks for keeping us posted, I think a couple extra grooves will make these the perfect tire for my KLR!
    KTM Mike likes this.
  14. musselshell

musselshell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650A
  15. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Chief ,
    I Always appreciate distilled evals...”suck in the mud” tells me exactly what I need to know.

After reading tire threads for hours, and the very helpful discussion here, I’m still having a hard time not pulling the trigger on a mitas e07 rear and tkc80 front. I get that Shinzo makes a very solid budget friendly tire...but an extra 100 bucks over a potential 2000mi difference seems a no brainer.

Keep in mind I’m still a noob, but am I missing something that I should heed ?
  16. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I get a lot more mileage on my klr out of the 804/805 set than some people are reporting here. The 804 front might as well be a tkc 80 as far as I can tell. You may save a buck or two using the front anyway.
    It's only the rear that washes out in the mud, and I just got a new rear and a tire grooving iron to see what I can do to improve that.
    I'll carve it up sometime next week and install it in a month or 2 once my current 805 is a little more worn
    scout68 likes this.
  17. joe 107

joe 107 n00b

Oddometer:
    I use them on both my f800gs and my r1200gs air cooled and I really like the 804 in both 19 and 21" size .the 805 rear is ok on my 800 but loose sideways bite on the 1200 because of the higher torque on the 1200 it break loose to easily on big bikes.
  18. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the mileage reports here are on bikes much larger and heavier than a KLR. Also, some are two up and with full load of camping gear.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. PaydayGabe

Oddometer:
    Yes Sir, exactly. The variables are extremely wide when it comes to milage expectations.
    I had an 805 on a 650 Vstrom. The tire had about 1250 miles on and was just starting to show some wear when I traded the bike. I recently installed a pair on my DR350 and I expect them to probably outlast the bike.
    Variables, lots. Lol, YMMV.
    scout68, thechief86 and KTM Mike like this.
  20. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought my Vee in Jan and it had the 804/805 set already installed, p/o had put 750 miles on them. Around March I went on a wet forest ride in Wacissa and the back slid out several times, more so than any other tire I had ever used. Fast forward to August and 5000 miles later they are pretty worn and with all the rain it has been a royal pain in the ass to get up and down my muddy dirt road. Just today on my way to work I had the rear unexpectedly wash to the left and I almost lost it again. I am seriously thinking of not using them again, especially considering all the street tires over the years and the bikes they were mounted to always made it down there fine even fully flooded with water. How are the 705's now problem wise? I hear they used to be trouble.