Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I just spooned on another 804 front after a crash bent my front wheel. The old 804 still holds air, but has a bulge I didn't like.
    The car I hit was totalled.
    I still haven't mounted my new 805 rear yet, but will work on adding grooves to aid in lateral traction next weekend and probably go ahead and install it. If that solves my mud traction issues, I will continue to use these tires until something better in the same price range comes along, but I'm not convinced there is anything better for my riding style for the same price yet.
    Battmo likes this.
  2. CharlieInStLouis

CharlieInStLouis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I bought my Vee in Jan and it had the 804/805 set already installed, p/o had put 750 miles on them. Around March I went on a wet forest ride in Wacissa and the back slid out several times, more so than any other tire I had ever used. Fast forward to August and 5000 miles later they are pretty worn and with all the rain it has been a royal pain in the ass to get up and down my muddy dirt road. Just today on my way to work I had the rear unexpectedly wash to the left and I almost lost it again. I am seriously thinking of not using them again, especially considering all the street tires over the years and the bikes they were mounted to always made it down there fine even fully flooded with water. How are the 705's now problem wise? I hear they used to be trouble."

^^^ Time to install a new tire?
  3. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    The radial 705s are great. Really great.
    Early issues were in the first couple of years where folks were using the cross-ply tyres on the heavy bikes. Not happened for many years now.
  4. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 3rd set just came in, love them on my 2014 V-strom 1000!

1469714630267.jpg
    KevinMcCall and Downs like this.
  5. Bindlestiff

Bindlestiff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 705's are good 80/20 tires, but they're even worse in the mud than the 805's.
    Downs likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go through thread there's inmate who siped rear 805 to fix side slip. Other option would be pair front 804 with Mitas E07 rear which is superb long lasting 50/50 tire but sadly it has been discontinued and new E-07+ isn't good in mud. You can probably still get old E07 while supply lasts.
    thechief86 likes this.
  7. badweatherbiker

badweatherbiker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ill look around for the old Eo7 and give it a shot, if not ill just order another 805 and sipe it. Its just crazy i have used more street oriented tires like Pirelli Scorpions and even Shinko Ravens and they were better in the mud than the 805
  8. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I had high hopes, but it seems my antique tire groover simply isn't getting hot enough to do anything to this brand new tire.
    I haven't had too much trouble with the tire as it comes, but I also don't treat my KLR like a small bike in the woods. I realize that is just too big a bike for hard, fast offroad riding when it's muddy. The rest of the time, these tires perform perfectly for me.

I'm gonna give this thing a little more time to warm up, but I may just give up and run it as is. I still have plenty of thread on my current rear tire to come up with a solution.

Attached Files:

9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about an angle grinder? Could even mod the OE gaurd to act as a depth standard.
    thechief86 likes this.
  10. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is a Shinko thread...ish...but, Man, I love the Mitas E-07 I just put on, but it was a bear to get on the rim. Maybe just my rookie skills, but damn thats a stiff sidewall. TKC 80 going on the front this week.

Building a bike for my college son, and will go with Shinkos front and bike for some comparison. Did your rear tire just go on as is? without mod?

IMG_0082.jpg
    thechief86 likes this.
  11. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is that the E-07+?

I'm probably going to try at 804 over the Tkc80 next tire rotation.
  12. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 804 is a good match for the e07. They wear at about the same rate. The TKC wears faster than the 804 IMO.
    The Haymaker and Mauser556 like this.
  13. Mauser556

Mauser556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep. My tkc80 is about done after 5k miles. The e-07 Dakar is still going strong. Never thought I'd see a front go before a rear.

His the handling with the 804 upfront?
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can scrap pegs on the Super Tenere on tarmac even when riding in less than optimal conditions.

Compared to the TKCs on tarmac, close, too close to call.
  15. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    No it's regular E-07 in picture
    ]
  16. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I still haven't given upon the tire grooving, as I still have enough tread on my rear 805 to finish out the summer. If I can't get my equipment to do the trick, I may put the tire on as it comes. That Mitas looks great, though!
  17. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too bad they got discontinued.. I have 804/E07 set sitting in garage going on bike next
  18. scout68

scout68 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cyclo is right, regular e-07. The plus has a chunkier and deeper tread.

I love this tire. Would’ve ridden a lot yesterday but my 13 year old daughter had a mishap in the woods.....tried to drive her XR100 through a huge honeysuckle/hedgerow and must have dumped some evil sludge is the bowl. Took forever to start ...but she came out only briiised thank God.

That’s why I buy old dirt bikes....
    Chaostrophy and cyclopathic like this.
  19. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regar E07 also has a thin band in the middle which IMHO makes it more resistant to sidestepping in mud. And smaller knobs have more edges to bite/less surface to slip so as long as you don't roost the grip is there.
    scout68 likes this.
  20. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just got back from a 2,000 mile, all pavement, two-up with moderate luggage load. Front looks good still. Rear is down to 5mm from 10mm when new. About 1500 miles of twisty mountain roads and 500 of interstates. Honestly I am shocked that it held up this well so far. Definitely not my first choice for this type of trip, but I was expecting them to be toast by the end. Looks like they should last me until the end of the riding season here...impressive wear!
    jimmy da fish likes this.