Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    They do return better wear numbers than TKCs in my experience, roughly the same off and on tarmac, cheaper to boot
    thechief86 likes this.
  2. jrou111

jrou111 Stair Climber

Oddometer:
    Anyone have issues with punctures? I had only about 1000 miles on my 804/805’s on my Super Tenere but last weekend riding I was up in the gravel off of the Cherohala and managed to get a puncture that took 3 plugs to stop leaking. I think it was just from a sharp rock poking up but idk. The spot it busted through was in between the lugs. Had to limp home and replace plugs when they’d fling out. Idk if I’m just unlucky or what. (Maybe so my BIL had two front flats and 3 failed patches on his Africa Twin the day before)

I wound up just purchasing another 805 to replace it, but if it happens again I’ll have to try something else which $uck$.
  3. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've done about 20k miles on the 804/805's, including probably 5-7k of tough offroad all over the southeast, and quite a bit of the southwest, and have never had a puncture or even a flat, running with thick tubes.. 2 of my riding buddies ride the same places i do on the same tires, and probably have about 15k miles on the Shinkos between them, and only one of them has ever had so much as a slow leak, which ended up being a pinched tube from airing down too much for some tough miles off the pavement. All three of us are on KLR 650's and abuse the bikes pretty hard.
    jrou111 likes this.
  4. PaydayGabe

PaydayGabe It's never a DAMN tail wind !

Oddometer:
    I've run Shinko's previously on a few different bikes. Really good quality tires and an awesome price.
    You sir, , had an unfortunate catastrophic puncture, which could have happened to any specific type of tire at any time on whatever terrain.
    It's worse when the tires are new and the investment is high.
    I could go into great detail, , but no point. Enjoy your new 805, , and Power Through.
    Ride safe. G.
    jrou111 and Jud like this.
  5. DR Steve

DR Steve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running an 804 on the front of my 1090 for a while now and really like it for my mix of riding compared to the original TKC 80. It seems to be much softer than the TKC and will be lucky to go half as far as the TKC did. It'll be a first for me to wear out a front quicker than the rear.
    For those that have been using the 804's for a while, does the wear comparison to the TKC sound about right ?
    I've used several 705's on a different bike in the past and they were 3 rears to a front.
  6. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 804 lasts a good bit longer than a TKC in my experience.
  7. DR Steve

Oddometer:
    Interesting. Are you talking about the 19" or 21" ?
  8. Dan Diego

Dan Diego Long timer

Oddometer:
    7A1D345C-A89D-4B44-B592-9FD8FC5D8BB0.jpeg
    I like the 804/805 tires a lot, though I ran into a problem down in Mexico last year. The rear developed cracks inside from the rim wearing into the tire wall and would pinch the tube. I changed tubes or tried to repair the inner wall 5 times before the border.

Could’ve been a one-off issue but it concerns me. I replaced it with another 805 and so far, no issues. They wear well and feel good on pavement, hardpack and sand.

https://ineverfinishanyth.blogspot.com/2017/05/the-easy-way-to-gonzaga-bay-another.html
  9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    19 front on a Super Tenets that saw alot of play time on tarmac. Good bit off tarmac too but nothing nuts.
  10. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW, you are dead on with the 705s. Fronts last 15K easy. The rears, 3.5-9K miles depending on bike and if you are playing alot or trying to baby them into lasting for a whole trip.

From the experience of two or three 804 front and E07 rear combos, the 804s should go 5-7K. Basically replace both at the same time. TKCs on the front of the ST rarely make it more than 5K miles. A rear TKC will wipe in under 3K miles!
    DR Steve likes this.
  11. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a quick update on a set of Shinko 705 tires.

Front has been on the bike for 10,500kms and the rear for 7,500kms... 90% tarmac.

I threw a new rear tire on the bike before my last road trip (approx. 7,200kms) because the previous rear tire had about 3K and I knew it wouldn't make the entire trip.

The tire's have been great but I did notice a slight cut in one of the rear tread blocks.

Based on the current condition I should get another 2-3k kms out of them... great mileage, and handling for the price.

View attachment 1363689 View attachment 1363690

View attachment 1363691 View attachment 1363692
  12. Thunder-dog

Thunder-dog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMGP2477.JPG IMGP2477.JPG IMGP2477.JPG
    I will NEVER run the 804/805 tires on my 990! In the five years I've owned it I've had it slide out on gravel roads three times. They just don't have enough side bite. OTOH, they do pretty well in a straight line and on the pavement. I've also run a couple of sets of the 705's on my former DL1000 and really liked them (as a 90% street, 10% EASY gravel). I am running a MEFO Super Explorer rear and a TR8 now and the traction on gravel roads is very good (if that's possible on gravel). The worst kind of road IMHO is hard pack with little round gravel on it like in the photo. I went down two days in a row in Oklahoma last year in almost identical circumstances, (bags are off so I could pick the bike up), the second day, caught my left foot under the bag, twisting it and breaking my fibula just above the ankle. I just had a set on 705's mounted on a second set of wheels for my 990 to use primarily on street rides. I've previously run the Scorpions that came on the bike (street tire!), K60's (too hard a compound on rear, not enough knobs on the front), and again, the MEFO-TR8 combo.

Attached Files:

KTM Mike likes this.
  13. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty Supporter

Oddometer:
    No issues with the 804/705 on my bike. To each there own....
  14. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    IMO it's a wash traction wise, on and off tarmac,,,, between the 804/805, the TKCs and Kenda Big Blocks.

The 804 seems to last longer than the TKCs and it's cheaper so win, win.

The 705 front wears like iron. Easy to get 10-15K miles out of one.

The 805 lasts longer than a 705 Out back for some weird reason but playing on a big bike like my Super Tenere, neither lasts much more than 4K miles. Touring, maybe 9K miles is super easy on and off throttle.

As a comparison, a rear TKC or Big Block wipes in under 3K miles if playing.

A rear Tourances might go 6-8K miles but it's a hard ass street tire that's not good on the tarmac nor off tarmac.

K60 rear lasts a long time but too hard for me since I like playing on tarmac as much as off. Seriously folks, if you like getting spunky on tarmac, the K60 will get you hurt. Least amount of traction on tarmac of any modern tire I can recall.

I run a 804/Mitas E07 combo and they wear out at roughly the same time. Maybe 6K miles playing locally. If touring, figure at least 8-10K miles. To me, this combo fits my riding and my bike the best.
  15. DR Steve

Oddometer:
    I suspect that opinions on the 804 differ greatly as some are talking about the 19" version while others are referring to the 21". The 21" is a little tyre on a big ADV bike.
    Thunder-dog and Barekat like this.
  16. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing is for sure, 804s are easy as hell to mount up. Popped one on the front of the S10 today and damned, so,,, easy!!!!!
    kjbetz and CoatsEast like this.
  17. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mounted a replacement E07 up on the rear today. Not as easy as the 804 but a hell of a lot easier than the K60 is my memory serves.
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    My only beef with 804 (front) it was done at 4.5k and at 8k central split knobs were at zero couldn't get another 100mi. Center single knob was at 50-60% and the rest could have made another 4k at least.

Looking at the picture made me wonder if cutting similar sipes in central knobs like on Anakee Wild front could improve 804 life.

[​IMG]
    thechief86 likes this.
  19. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    Well, I've gotten myself a road bike now, so I no longer have to commute on my KLR 5 days a week. My need for a 50/50 tire on that bike has decreased dramatically.
    I took a 2k mile trip last month, and almost half of it was gravel, dirt, and mud. I definitely could see the shortcomings of the rear tire in the muddy sections, with a few day's worth of gear on the bike,
    and riding pretty aggresively.
    While I'll still say the 804/805 combo has served me well in these last ~25k miles, I think I'll try the Dunlop D606 or similar for the rear next time. I love my KLR, but now that I have a bike better suited to the
    80 mile commute I do each day, the KLR won't see nearly as many miles, and definitely won't be my main source of highway transportation anymore.
    If you commute every day, and want to ride forest roads on your days off, the 804/805 is perfect. But if you leave the house looking for dirt, especially wet dirt, there are tires better suited to it, and I intend to try one of those next time
    around. That said, my current set of Shinkos only has about 2500 miles on them, so it's gonna be a while, lol. These things wear like Iron.
  20. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Running TKC80 front / 805 rear on my Africa Twin right now.

I can concur that the lateral traction of the 805 is probably worse than any other offroad oriented tire I've ever experienced. Those big knobs don't seem to like to bite into anything and the bike wants to slide out pretty much immediately at the slightest lean angle. This might be less an of issue with a narrower 120 tire, but with the wide 150 profile I don't see how the side knobs would do much until the side of the bike is touching the ground. I found myself having to really exaggerate counterbalancing to keep the bike upright during more spirited riding.

They do perform very well on pavement though!
    CoatsEast and KTM Mike like this.