Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    What psi are you running them?
  2. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m usually around the Honda recommended 36 psi in the rear. Open to suggestions though.

My rides usually include a good amount of pavement, sometimes even a jaunt on the freeway.
  3. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    They’ll work a lot better off-road at a lower psi
    thechief86 likes this.
  4. GSA-Dawg

GSA-Dawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I run them on my R1200GSA at 32 front and 33 back at pretty much all times. Put so far about 5k miles on them. Expect the rear to hold up for probably another 1-2k. Mostly asphalt though and when off-road then it’s sand here in Flatistan.
    Pretty happy with them overall as they paddle the sand great and are glued onto the tarmac, doesn’t matter if wet or dry. Little slide off in turns (not curves) when hard on the throttle, I’m not light handed.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  5. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, I'm considering a pair of 804/805s for my SCR950. That'd be a 100/90/19 front and a 140/80/17 rear. I could potentially spoon the 150 on the rear, though. I will be running tubes in both tires. I do 98% street, with the occasional gravel road. BUT, I want to do the MABDR this summer. I need all the help I can get off-road, and traction is a big concern. The stock trail wings slide all over the place on gravel. Very disconcerting, but I'm a street rider with little dirt experience. (Hence the reason for trying the MABDR, which is supposed to not be terribly difficult. Cutting my teeth on mild adv roads). I understand that the lateral stability is pretty bad on the 805s... but is it as bad as the trail wings? And how is forward traction in mud? I'm mostly worried about getting a 600lb motorcycle STUCK. I'm fine with going slow and riding for conditions, especially in mud, which I deeply distrust. Sliding out is less a concern for me than being unable to extract my motorcycle from soft ground or a big muddy puddle in the road.

Thoughts?

Also 140 (stock size) or 150 for the rear?

Charles.
  6. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've been through lots of deep mud on my klr with the 804/805 combo. They did great, I just have to be aware of throttle and lean inputs on slick mud. In literally every other condition, these tires have done exactly what I wanted, all while outlasting everything else I've tried, including street tires when commuting 500 miles a week.
    They are better on wet pavement than my Anakee III's were by a long shot.
    They will get you through the mud, just be aware that lateral traction is lacking, and that counterweighting for and slowing down for turns are important. You can't ride offroad like you are on dry pavement.
  7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I found that out years ago on a TW200. I thought I had all the traction int he world on that bike. Until it got wet, and I crashed hard, and hyper-extended my knee, and couldn't walk for 6 weeks. So yeah, I take it easy on gravel roads now. I'm not 25 and invincible anymore. I'm 41 and fat, and I have enough humility to know I haven't a clue what I'm doing off the pavement. But that's why I want to ride it!

Charles.
  8. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    The 805 on the rear of my Suzuki DR650 was a 130. That bike is smaller and lighter than your AT (a bike which I'd love to have in my garage, btw), but the Shinko's prevailing off-road manners were such that the narrow[er] profile didn't really help.

The Trail Wings are the factory stock tires on the DR650. They preceded the 804/5 combo on my DR. The TWs don't deserve the reputation that some of the loudmouths (not you) on this forum attempt to assign to them. They are as fair a 50/50 tire as we might want. I used mine in some fairly gnarly trail riding, prior to installing the Shinkos. Although not perfect -- I was knowingly using them beyond their design brief -- I'd have to give a slight edge to the TWs as it concerns general stability in mixed off-road surfaces.

To be fair: in just the right environment (no mud or excessively thick gravel), the straight-line drive of the 805 is nonpareil, truly. I'll miss that aspect of the tire. I won't miss the hot mess that is lateral traction, or lack thereof, on/in many other trail scenarios, which is made worse when one has to lean the bike on the tight turns.
  9. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Well, with the stock tires my SCR950 is all over the place. They're definitely trail wings... but they look far more like a shinko 705 than they do anything 50/50 biased. On gravel they like to slip and slide.

Charles.
  10. kainam00

kainam00 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put about 2k miles on the rear Shinko 805 so far, with lots of rocky offroad. They could probably last another 2k, but during the last ride I noticed that I have a bunch of cuts in them, one of which was about the size of my fingernail, to the point that I could see the tube through the tire. Could have ended badly if I haven't noticed it and "fixed" it with duct tape and zipties...

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_13ca.jpg
    (Amazingly that lasted over 200 miles :D)

Granted that there are some sharp rocks here in Missouri, I have never seen any tire get cut up like this, even with much more aggressive rock-slamming, so I'm not happy with this lack of durability. Might be a combination of a liter bike and heavy throttle hand, but either way, I'll be replacing it with a Mitas E07+
  11. thechief86

Oddometer:
    I found out last week that the 804/805 combo works quite well in sand with my KLR 650. Many places I should have gotten stuck or ate shit, and it just kept plowing through. I have no complaints about these tires for my application, which has literally been every single type of terrain, but with a heavy, underpowered bike that gets ridden 70% of the time on pavement, and a fat, unskilled rider who does well to keep from falling over in a car, let alone a motorcycle.
    30k+ miles and counting.
    YMMV.
    The tradeoff for longevity is lateral traction in mud. Once I learned to cope with that and slow down for muddy corners, I've been fine.
    I'm quite likely to try Dunlop D606 or AX41 next, though, as I'm not commuting daily on my klr anymore.
    I82l8 likes this.
  12. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    Any updates on longevity or how the grooves have helped lateral traction on different surfaces?

-Jake
  13. DBQ Dude

DBQ Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tire re-grover, one pass and three passes. One pass works well for hard terrain, still goes sideways under throttle in soft terrain and hill climbs. Three passes puts in on par with a TKC 80 that I had on my KLR prior to the shinko.

Attached Files:

Adrian V, YJake, KTM Mike and 3 others like this.
  14. thechief86

Oddometer:
    That looks great! I couldn't get my antique tire groover to cut, I guess it's just too old and doesn't get hot enough..
  15. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    What has the impact on longevity been, particularly with the three passes?
    YJake and Jettn Jim like this.
  16. DBQ Dude

DBQ Dude Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My tire isn't shot yet, but I can tell since I modified it wearing much quicker on the pavement. I'd say on par with how a TKC-80 wears, still great performance on the pavement including rain, just wearing quicker.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  17. jimmy da fish

jimmy da fish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Still one of my favorite tires. IMG_20190803_162111880.jpg IMG_20190803_162053647.jpg
    Jettn Jim and thechief86 like this.
  18. CRIAKLR

CRIAKLR I like pie

Oddometer:
    I'm a serial tire whore. I've been known to scrap a tire with half the tread left just cuz I gotta try something, and I love the smell of fresh rubber. I've run virtually all of the usual suspects.....and I keep coming back to the 804/805. I've run them on a KLR, my Africa Twin and now on my DR. For the money.....hands down the best all-around DS or ADV tire. But even at any price, they hold their own. Just put 190 miles on them today, 80% unpaved, and I keep on loving them. Furthermore, I picked up a sheet metal screw in the rear tire about a week ago and had to change it Trailside.....Easy Peasy. If it had been the Motoz I'm running (and really liking) on my AT I'd probably still be cussing that stiff walled beast. But the 804 popped off and on, no problem......I'm almost ready to walk the aisle with the Shinko and stopping my whoring ways. Almost.
    YJake, Jettn Jim and ChopperCharles like this.
  19. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Exactly!!! Of the 45+ sets of tires I've warn out since 2008 these are probabbbbly my favorite Too!!
    Getting close to 5,000 miles per rear on my 990 ADV and over 8,000mi on the fronts. Stick excellently on the slab and do all I need off road. Predictable and comfortable. Two thumbs up!
  20. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    So are you saying that the lateral grip is transformed with extra grooves?
    What’s a tyre groover worth?