Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I've about finished off my 4th set of these, and have been quite happy with them for the most part.
    However, I no longer have to commute 500 miles a week on my KLR, so I may try a few more dirt-friendly options. I really like the looks of the Michelin Anakee Wild, but the price is up there.
    I did notice yesterday that on several websites, the Kenda Big Block is cheaper in the KLR sizes than the Shinkos are, which was my original reason for trying the Shinkos in the first place.
  2. YJake

YJake PAR Nation Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for reference, how many miles do you usually get out of a TKC-80 rear and how many do you have on your grooved 805 currently?

I’m trying to get 5,000 miles out of an 805 on a 500lbs bike with one pass of the groove tool.

Judging by this, I may get close.

-Jake
  3. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Yesssss I've gotten between 4,500 and 5,300mi on the 805 rears, with a bit of tread left. And this on a 990 Adventure fully loaded, pulling a moto mule trailer.
    I get over 8, 000mi on the fronts...
    the secret being with any type knobbie, FLIP it around, near the 2500 mile Mark. ☝️
    It smooths out the alligator back tread pattern, flattens them back out, and the tire just keeps going.
    thirsty 1 likes this.
  4. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    The most dirt oriented tire you're going to get is a Dunlop 606.
    You can still scrape foot pegs with this tire on the street, and it will go in the dirt like no other tire! The Michelin T63 front is a good option, as it has better Street manners than the 606 front and yet if offroads your main thing I would stick with the 606 front, or perhaps the Pirelli Scorpion XCMH front. I've no experience with this one but I've heard that it's even better than the 606 front tire.
    thechief86 likes this.
  5. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:
    After three horrible failures with Shinkos from 2008-2010 and swearing to never buy another one.... I bailed back in....

I purchased a 140/80-17 for the wife's VX300. After reading concerns and issues with lateral slide/slip.... I didn't mount them. Then this week, I purchased a G650GS Sertao and found it immediately needs sneakers. Looking at the stash of tires in my garage, I decided to give the 805's a shot. I mounted them up on Tuesday and yesterday I took a 90 mile ride with 40 miles of dirt road to aggressive two track. (only on the rear... an IRC TR8 went on the front....flippin love this tire!)

IT IS ALL ABOUT TIRE PRESSURE!!!!!

At 40psi the bike was all over the place. It was a miserable riding experience. I couldn't decide if I hated the new bike or hated the new tires.

Pulling over, after 3 miles of white-knuckled dirt road riding, I dropped the PSI to 25 in the rear....... Oh my!!!! ....what a positive change.

All the sudden the bike was hooked up and ZERO lateral slide. Heck, I even had difficulty getting the rear to turn loose in corners, trying to steer with the rear tire.

So..... I am a fan so far. No, I have not had the tire in wet roads or mud.... but at 25psi, it performed as good as any tire I have ever ridden.

[​IMG]
    PullingG's and thechief86 like this.
  6. PullingG's

PullingG's What?

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update. 40psi seems real high so not surprised on handling improvements at 25psi. I usually run 26-28 on the road...less in the sand.
  7. grego10r

grego10r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    804/805 best tires for me on 3rd set rainb mud whatever wont go any other then shinkos
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  8. woodsxr

woodsxr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did beat up a 805 on my last trip through the upper Nevada Desert about 400-500 miles of dirt and gravel. Got one rock puncture half way through the trip.
    Plugged it and held till I got home.
    Never had any complaint's running these other than that.
    Jettn Jim likes this.
  9. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    These are great tires. I went through a few sets and 20K miles on my Tiger XCx 800. The rear (805) is great in nearly all conditions. The front (804) is OK but does tend to push in soft sandy conditions, you can get used to it though. I have a MotOz Tractionator Adventure on the rear of my 1090R right now. The MotOz is a better handing tire but the side walls are too stiff and makes tire install and rebeading after a flat nearly impossible. I am most likely going with he 805 on the rear with something else on the front. The 804/805 combo is a great value. I would ignore the "side slip" issue. If you ride off road the Shinkos will get you though 99% of everything if you have any skill.
    Jettn Jim, thechief86 and grego10r like this.
  10. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put these on my tiger about 200 miles ago. I probably have too much psi compared to what most of you are running. I’m about 32 front 37 rear. I like them a lot. I’ve done about 70 miles off road. All gravel roads. Good grip but the front isn’t too good in sand. I don’t know of any road legal tire that is tho.

Road noise is pretty minimal. I would buy them again.
    Jettn Jim, Barron and ChopperCharles like this.
  11. jimmy da fish

jimmy da fish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Track proven.

Training / track day with Total Control!
    At Pitt Race.

I pushed them pretty hard.

Didn't loose traction all day. IMG_20190826_155958524.jpg IMG_20190826_093709040.jpg
    thechief86 and Jettn Jim like this.
  12. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    What happened to the ass-end of that bike?!? Your traction may not have come loose, but it looks like bits fell off!

Charles.
  13. jimmy da fish

jimmy da fish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Took off all the EXTRA weight I wasn't using. Top case, panniers, extra fenders, stock pipe. Brackets and misc parts.
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  14. N22WLZ

N22WLZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    agPWsp+ZTZSCjfwDY%NlCw.jpg Finally got a regroover, looks like my go to 805s are gonna be even more versatile
  15. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always tell people, 100MPH on hard gravel roads and drag pegs on asphalt, plus good wet weather grip and get 4500, 5000 miles out of them!
  16. Big_John

Big_John That'll be the day

Oddometer:

Thanks for replying to my PM. I really like the idea of doing this, opening up those little slits that run horizontal to tire roll, hopefully decreasing side-to-side slide.

But ouch.... looks like a grover is about $100.... makes these Shinkos a lot more expensive.
  17. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    On what bike? Area, pavement? Temps?

In my experience my riding style was certainly different from that on a GS boxer
    100 mph on gravel easy, but so will a shinko 705

5000 miles from a rear? Not on my bike on my local terrain

good in rain?

not on my bike or my local terrain

Lots of variables apparently

Amphib likes this.
  18. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2014 Vstrom 1000
    Midwest, Wisconsin, U.P., Iowa. Ontario.
    Freeway, highway, county road, Smith and broken pavement, unmarked blacktop.
    Off pavement, Sand, I hate deep sand.
    County and N.F. forestry roads, two tracks
    Hard pack, hardback with loose gravel.
    Loaded fir touring, and commuting, scrape pegs at will. Temps from 90's to mid 20'a Totally happy with these tires
    On this bike! Friend with a 2017 Honda AT
    Has the experience with them on his bike.
  19. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    wow, our blacktop down here must be rough on them, and of course I figure the 100 degree summer temps dont help.

I wish they would last and work like that for me.
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I have these on a '05 F650 GS. I feel more planted on these than the Tourance or the Kenda 761(?) I used in the past.
    I had the bike in a bit of deep sand last week and they were OK as far as I can tell - I hate sand and don't do well in it. No idea on mileage yet - I think I have 2000 -2500 and some rear wear.