Shinko 805. What does the collective know?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by slowoldguy, Sep 7, 2014.

1. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

The Kenda Big Block was my favorite off-road tire for my GSA.
    thechief86, The Haymaker and MFS like this.
  2. MFS

MFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice to see love for the Kenda Big Block. Went thought lots of brands/types on my CB500x up until I sold it last year, and the Big Block was my favorite.

I did use 2 x 805 rears, fine, priced well.
    Predictable and for me, attracted puncture flats :(
    But that was bad luck. Would have no problem going back.

MFS
    thechief86 likes this.
  3. Filly_007

Filly_007 n00b

Oddometer:
    Can some tell me how these act in mud, grassland and wet road conditions? I read a lot good about them in dry conditons, but don't know if i trust the big knob on slippery wet stuff, seems like the water can't get away.

I bought a bike with 804/805 and got a new 805 with it. The bike's front seems to start floating above 160 kph, which i red that's something they all do? Someone can say this is correct?
  4. Iowa_ADV

Iowa_ADV I like pie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like them, but there are better choices if you ride in mud.....They do tend to slide around a bit. However, on wet roads I have never had a problem. Their on road manners are excellent, dry or wet. Regarding grassland, I have found anything works on dry grass and nothing works on wet grass. :D
    thechief86, BaldKnob and Barekat like this.
  5. YJake

YJake Social Distancing Before It Was Cool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what he said.

-Jake
  6. KTM Mike

KTM Mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like the others said...better choices for mud. Honestly, I would say the 805 is absolutely horrible in mud. Likewise grass . Slightest of off camber when on mud, the tire kicks out - even if super smooth on the throttle. I never had issues on pavement, but I dont push it knowing I am not on a performance street tire. Dry dirt, gravel its ok. I went to GoldenTyre GT723 and loved them on and off pavement, good life to. But the only version available now is a softer compound that doesnt last that long. Currently, I am running MotoZ RallZ and love them. Great life, fantastic off pavement, no issues on pavement. They are very loud however.
    cyclopathic likes this.
  7. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    What would be good for street longevity and occasional gravel, big block pattern,100/90/19 and 130/80/17? 250cc twin. I’m running Kenda big blocks now, but got shit for mileage on them.

And same front size with a 140/80/17 rear on a 600 lb “scrambler” that goes sideways FAR too easily on dirt or gravel?

I was going to get the 805 for both, but if there is something with better lateral tracking I’d splurge, especially for the heavy bike. But I need mileage too. At least 5000 miles out of a rear.

Charles.
  8. Filly_007

Filly_007 n00b

Oddometer:
    What would you recommend than?
  9. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been asking my riding crew the same question. I rode some very muddy sections of the Arizona BDR with my Shinko 805 in December, 2018. There were times when the back end felt squirrely. However, I did not go through the same section with any other tire - so I can't compare. I also made it through every nasty muddy section OK. My pals claim that the TKC80, Anakee Wild, Karoo 3 are better choices for the mud. I decided to go with a TKC80 to replace my worn 805 for my upcoming NE BDR trip. The 805 is generally agreed to be a great choice for the deep sand in northern Michigan, where we ride a lot. I'd still argue that the 805 is the best VALUE out there as it is half the cost of an Anakee Wild.
    Filly_007 and Barekat like this.
  10. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran them on my old F800 and my current X300. As long as you are off the throttle in the mud, they are fine. I do agree that there are probably better choices, but, the value factor for the 804/805 combo is compelling.
    brad21 and Barekat like this.
  11. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    The Shinko 804/5 is still the best lasting, cheap semi-knobby I've run.
    My current Kenda Big Block rear is more than halfway gone at 3500 miles, and I have a Tusk DSport to try.
    I may try Motoz next, but if I can't get 5k miles out of anything remotely knobby by the end of the year, I'm going back to the Shinko 804/805.
    2006 KLR 650, 60% pavement, 40% gravel and off-road.
  12. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KLR roughly 75% road / 25% dirt Shinko 804 , 805 coming off Motoz GPS
    Only 1600 klm so far , pretty much zero skitishness in the gravely dirt ( relaxing ) and im using a surprising amount of the back tyre on the road ( touching pegs )
    and i am sure not a fast rider . Do not care too much how long they last / would recommend .
    thechief86 likes this.