1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Shinko E705 or Tractionator GPS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by able ktm, Feb 2, 2018.

1. able ktm

able ktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big tar trip coming up with the wife in a couple of weeks, WSBK and ASBK on Phillip Island and extended touring around Victoria, probably do about 5000km so I wanted something to not break the bank because of the 90% tar and loaded to the hilt.

Plainly because of price I've thought about the shinko E705 or a tractionator GPS
    What are your thoughts? it's a 17 rallyeX
  2. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've used several sets of the Shinko 705's but I've never even seen a pair of Tractionators.

The Shinko 705's have served me well. They are great on-road, especially if the pavement gets damp from rain or dew. Off-road they perform admirably and have served me well on the types if dirt I've taken a 600lb + motorcycle.

Shinko 705's are not designed and built to provide unusually high road mileage at the expense of road traction.

Having read the promo material offered by the makers of Tractionators, they stress high-mileage "materials."

I think they are going after the same thing as tires like the Heidenau. It's an aggressive tread pattern that works well on dirt but uses a hard rubber compound to yield high mileage under pavement road use.

These sort of tires do work well off-road. However, when on-road, that hard rubber that gives you high mileage can also result in traction problems -especially in moist situations. I want no part of that. I've done it. I've had those hard knobbies slip out from under me on a paved curve when powering out on a foggy morning.

I'm sure the Tractionators will work great on dirt. If you take them on pavement, be careful and aware.

3. gundrted

gundrted Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should also check out the Avon Trial Ride. It's moderately priced and reports say it gives good milage.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
    able ktm likes this.
  4. Ltrip

Ltrip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got 8000 miles out of my Shinko 705 rear and am very happy with it. I have not heard of or seen the Tractionator.
    Have a good trip!
    able ktm likes this.
  5. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Im on my second set of Shinko 705's and will be replacing them with the same. I put them on to do Adelaide to Phillip Island via Victorian High Country and love them. The first 1/2 seems to wear down pretty quick but slow down after that. I got similar mileage to Ltrip on a loaded gs1200 2 up.

Dave
    able ktm likes this.
  6. able ktm

able ktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys.

I'm putting Shinko E705's front and back for the trip then change back to TKC80 front and think about something for the back on my return.
    Will just store the E705's for the next big tar trip which will probably be the MotoGP.
  7. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope you report back later. Hearing your experience with the Shinko 705 will be interesting.

8. able ktm

able ktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What pressures did you run Dave?
  9. able ktm

able ktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And other Chaps
    What pressure loaded up?
  10. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    I run 34 f and 36 r 1 or 2 up and 40r loaded 2 up. Ive heard stories about the rears delaminating with a heavy load on hot days but havnt experienced it myself.

Dave
    thechief86 likes this.
  11. able ktm

able ktm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate I'm thinking 36f and 38 rear

Cheers I'll see how it goes but I'm sure the magic carpet will overcome all :)
  12. Boxa

Boxa 2 Smoking Barrels

Oddometer:
    Yep thats what I started with 36f 38r and dropped down a cpl of psi for a better ride. They are a pretty hard tyre, but all depends on what you had on last.

Dave
  13. Kdawg

Kdawg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Tractionator GPS is a very good tyre. It hooks up well in the dirt in its normal orientation, and can also be reversed for 'mostly offroad' which I haven't tried. Mileage should be in the 8-10k range with a mix of on/off road one up. The centre spine makes it relatively quiet on road. No issues with grip and it's a strongly made (and relatively heavy) bias ply tyre. Definitely worth trying and it's good value for money to boot. TKC70 prior had better ride qualities as befits a radial with similar lifespan but isn't as good off road and is a lot more expensive.
  14. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  15. leafman60

leafman60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I installed these puppy dogs last week.

[​IMG]
    thechief86 likes this.
  16. Traveller13

Traveller13 Cptn. Fluffy

Oddometer:
    Have just had a pair of these fitted front and rear (Shinko E705's) and either I have a balance issue up the front or there is something wrong with the front tyre. Low speed wobble (under 60kph) and sometimes feels like I'm getting a flat. They steer differently than the K60's I had on previously too, feel lazy at initial turn in then gets quite sharp once you start to crank into a corner. Just returned from a 2 day 1250k ride and it hasn't improved.
    All this is making me lose confidence in the handling of the bike ('15 GS) which up till know has been stable as a house.
    Has anyone else had similar issues or am I back to the tyre fitter for a re-balance and tyre check?
    thechief86 likes this.
  17. thechief86

thechief86 jack of all daniels

Oddometer:
    I'm on my 2nd set of 705's, after a couple of sets of Avon Trailriders.
    The Avons are a superior tire in every way, and the price reflects that, however the rear tire wore a little
    faster than the 705 rear. This could be related to my riding style, which was more aggressive when I first
    got the GS, and less so now that I've had it a while. (It's more powerful than my other bikes, so I was a bit throttle happy for the first
    year or so.) The Avons seemed to perform better off road, however this bike does not see much offroad, usually nothing more gnarly than gravel and
    hard packed dirt. I did take the bike around the vintage motocross track at Barber a couple of years ago, and have done some trail riding, but usually save that for
    different bikes.
    This 2nd 705 rear I'm running now is in need of a more dynamic balance method than the balance beads
    currently installed. Any speeds over 75 mph reveal some tire wobble, which is annoying on a bike that pretty much always cruises at 80-90 mph on the interstate.
    The first 705 I used balanced just fine with sticky weights, so I'll be removing the beads to balance properly sometime soon.

Experience is on a 2004 R1150GS, 250lb rider, sometimes a 180 lb passenger, and regularly up to 50 lbs of gear.
  18. BMWBOB51

BMWBOB51 Going slower, but bench race faster :)

Oddometer:
    I've gone through countless 705s in the last 80K miles on my 2014GS. I'd probably go with another brand if I didn't do so many miles and unlimited funds! But I don't have unlimited funds for $400 in tires every few months. The 705s have a quicker turn in than I like, but otherwise they stick great and decent on fire roads.
  19. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Many sets of 705s on my 1200GSA and they are great. I normally get 2rears for one front (managed 3x once but never again). The front ends up with a pulse or bump trough the bars at slow speed due to the front blocks wearing with a taper (don't ride like a MotoGP rider with enduro type tyre!)
    Great traction until they are worn right down!
    Great value.
    2.5f and 2.9r

.....And ONLY the ORIGINAL NON-radial tyres delaminated under the big bikes.... people need to let it go!
    bigjohnsd likes this.