Shinko tires

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by LuciferMutt, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shop should show some interest. The safery bead serves no purpose if tire doestnt jump up and over it. Kinda a techs worst nightmare with a tubeless and isnt much better with a tube. You want your tire guy to be at least concerned with this issue. But has happened to me personally a few times but not as a tech.
  2. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take it back. Make them reseat and rebalance.
    Bighammer49686 and CRP6001 like this.
  3. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    UPDATE:

I let the air out of the tire up on a front stand this morning, and this is what I found:
    [​IMG]
    The bead was completely unseated (I could actually stick my finger in there) for about 6-8 inches.

I squirted some WD40 in there and then hit it with my air compressor, but I chickened out at 70 PSI and nothing was happening. I was also working in the hot sun this afternoon.

So I took it back to the shop, showed them, and left it there with them for an hour or so.

They were able to set the bead properly (I carefully checked those witness lines this time) and re-balance the wheel and they didn't charge me. :thumb The tech said it was "funky" and that he left 60+ PSI in there and to let it sit overnight before airing it down and riding on it to let the lube dry and things settle. I just finished reinstalling on the bike, and a quick inspection is not showing the same up/down motion on the sidewall anymore when I spin it.

They had SO MUCH pressure in the tire I couldn't get it between the fender stays! The tire had ballooned out so much it didn't even fit anymore without rubbing. I had to let some air out down to 60 PSI (they had way more than that in there -- probably close to 100 if I had to guess -- my gauge only goes to 60) just to mount the wheel.

I'll take a ride on it tomorrow and report back. I've had these guys mount dozens of tires over the years and never had something like this happen but oh well. Seems like they made an effort to make things right.
    Ginger Beard and AwDang like this.
  4. Dno

Dno Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow get that tire back to recommend pressure. Good deal on getting the bead set. Shinko and CS on spoked rims are the ones that took more care for me. But those tire performed great after the hassle.
  5. opmike

opmike Choosing to be here.

Oddometer:
    My shiny new Multistrada shipped with an out of round Pirelli Scorpion Trail II. Somehow made it past all the factory checks and their balance procedure, past the dealer test ride, and straight to me...
    Wa Ho Thuk and LuciferMutt like this.
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    We had a couple new Harleys come in with bad Dunlops this spring. Did the PDI and went for a road test and hit 30 MPH or so and it began dancing all over. Went back and checked beads and OK. New tire time.
    merc16 likes this.
  7. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Put 60 miles on the re-seated tire this morning. Seems mostly back to normal, but I'm still getting a rhythmic bounce around 45-50mph but not really anywhere else. Peering down at the tire while I'm riding shows that it's spinning nice and true now. They did re-balance the wheel.

I'll give it a few hundred miles and see how it wears in.
  8. Wa Ho Thuk

Wa Ho Thuk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a couple of things . One , PAM is the best tire mounting lube , seriously . Two , have mounted my own tires since about 1968 , never had the problem @LuciferMutt has experienced , although recently there have been stories of a premium name brand tire having an ID slightly too small making them impossible to seat . No reports of this with Shinko to my knowledge.

Mutt , are you aware of the zip tie method for mounting tires ? A little more difficult with smaller tires , but it still works well enough .

Oh , if you have a way of situating the bike with the front tire just barely off the ground , you can check for an out of round condition by spinning the wheel and seeing if the gap remains constant , which I believe is what is causing the issue now.

Good luck .
  9. strongbad

strongbad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Dish soap in water makes a great bead lube
    Speedo66 likes this.
  11. LuciferMutt

Oddometer:
    Yes, I have a front stand and have been checking this throughout. Everything is nice and true now, including the wheel rim itself.

I am aware of the zip tie method. Haven't yet had the courage to try it -- these guys mount tires for $28, sometimes while I wait, so I've gone there for many years. Other than a tire mounted backwards once (which they immediately fixed) I've never had a problem from them until this Shinko.
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    The vibration you feel now sounds like a balance issue. Put it up on the stand, remove the caliper and give the wheel a light spin. Note where the weight ends up when it stops. Now rotate the weight to the 3 or 9 o’clock position and let go, see if the wheel turns any. If so, is the weight in a different spot? Same spot?
    Wa Ho Thuk likes this.
  13. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    That’s what I use.

I have an old 35MM plastic film container with that in it as part of my on bike tire change kit.
  14. Stasher1

Stasher1 Long timer

Oddometer:

I keep a small bottle kY liquid (or generic equivalent) in my tool box. It's slippery as wet goose shit and water soluble. Works great for tire mounting or window seal replacement on old Volkswagens.
    Bighammer49686 likes this.
  15. Bighammer49686

Bighammer49686 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We had some generic K*Y left over from a kit our vet gave us for our epileptic dog. (as if getting a tube in a seizing Rottweiler's butthole was gonna happen) It worked great for mounting tires. My latest leftover product is electrician's lube for pulling wire in conduit; safe on other materials, slick as hell, and cheap and available at any home improvement supply store.
    Stasher1 likes this.
  16. AwDang

AwDang Enabler

Oddometer:
    Everybody carries water, right?
    Grab a $1 trial size dish soap at the grocery and hit the road. Clean camp dishes, mount tires, clean chains then your hands if you forgot gloves.
  17. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    I currently have a set of Shinko 705s I mounted myself a few weeks ago on the V-Strom, no issues. They may not be quite as cheap as the 712s due to size, but still less than the cost of a Conti or Pirelli rear for the set.

One thing to keep in mind is that skinny rims that were designed for tube-type tires do not have a safety bead. I saw several mentions above, and I bet the TU front rim doesn't either, which is why this happened. Had that happen on a KTM 950 Adventure front (Karoo 3) that wouldn't quite finish seating. Not having as safety bead, it would just slide off as soon as the pressure was removed. BTW, when seating beads, make sure you remove the valve stem, so that as soon as you remove the air chuck, the pressure goes down. It's not uncommon to require 90 PSI to seat a bead, but don't inflate to to 90 PSI with the valves stem installed.

Gustavo
    merc16 likes this.