Shipping a bike across Canada

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ljg, Aug 16, 2006.

1. ljg

ljg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any advice on who could ship my KLR 650 from Toronto, Ontario to Victoria, BC?

My priorities (in order) are:
    1. Good
    2. Cheap
    3. Fast

I've never done this before. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I bought the bike in Ontario (where my folks live) and was planning on riding it back to BC. But the bike turned into a major lemon and needed a complete engine rebuild. I've run out of vacation time and will be flying back to Victoria tomorrow. The bike should be done by about the weekend. I'd love to be able to ride it sooner than later. But, as I've said, I've never shipped a bike before. Any suggested shipping companies?
    Anyone have any experience with shipping bikes?
    Any comments are appreciated.

Leslie
  2. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  3. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    I shipped mine out a couple of years ago. Depending on the transport company you may need to crate it. If it's a round trip some companies may store the crate for you if they have a terminal there until you are ready to ship it back.

You will likely save alot of $$ by sending it to Vancouver and riding it over to the island. You will also find it a bit easier to find someone to get it there if it's only going to Vancouver.

If you need to build a crate, try and get a disposable sheet metal pallet that Harley uses to ship their bikes to the dealers. The dealers just toss them. They make a great base & already have tie down points. Just boly on some sides.
  4. BUTTERBALL

BUTTERBALL Never ending kid saga...

Oddometer:
    just sent my XR 650R from Qc to BC.
    Canadian freightways
    http://cf.cfmvmt.com/

cost me +/- 360 and local pick up to!
    good luck Mr.
    Cheers
  5. Shewbert

Shewbert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You could try Mackie Moving Systems, Head Office, Oshawa, Ontario. Email [email protected] or call her at 905-728-5237 ext. 486.

Had them move a Harley from Edmonton to V.I. and was pleased with their work, although not cheap.

Having it delivered as far as Vancouver is good idea as they charge $95.00 for the ferry. Of course, if you need someone to drive you from Vic. to Van and then get bike and car home to Vic. the $95 is probably cheaper.
  6. Dawntreader

Dawntreader Tim Horton's or bust

Oddometer:
    I had a truck shipped from VI to Ontario, JDX was the shippers. The military lined it up for me but I still dealt with them a far bit. It was about 1500$ for my F-150. Their # is 1 877 719 7773 they operate out of Kingston. Hope this helps.
  7. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Doohicky?
  8. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Nice avatar. :lol3
  9. jackface

jackface jackface Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shipped my RT from the Soo to Vancouver 2 years ago,used Adventure Touring (Karen Bitz travel agency) out of Calgary,Great...the guy and his rig are from Penticton,put the bike on,he ties it down,no crate necessary,you are allowed a big box also.I can't remember his name,he goes across Canada with cars and bikes . This fellow is terrific and the price is right too.