Shipping a bike from uk to Spain, or Morocco?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by bobmoz, Sep 29, 2019.

1. bobmoz

bobmoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ... as opposed to riding it down there.

I have an opportunity to get a bit of a solo trip combined with family stuff.
    My wife’s mum lives on the edge of the alpujarras in southern Spain. We usually head to the sierras and visit her for a couple of weeks in Easter.
    Thoughts this year are, wife and kids fly down, I get the ferry to Santander and ride down, on as much off road as possible 4-5 days, hang out with the family for 4-5 days, then ride back up through Spain 4-5 days. Everyone’s happy! (Well almost, sounds like a bit of a rush to me)
    But thinking is there a better option? Such as shipping the bike down and having a good 7-9 days ride back up, hitting all the mountains. Or even have a few days in Morocco? Sounds expensive though, never shipped a bike!
    Anyone done similar
  2. b4thenite

b4thenite Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about renting one in Spain?
  3. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
  4. bobmoz

bobmoz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thought about that but really want to ride my own bike and have a good long off road point to point, camping along the way.
  5. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    If you want to transport a bike there are lots of sites like Shiply where you can post your requirements and it is put out to bid. There are lots of people making a living shuttling regularly between Europe and the UK with large transits/sprinters. The market is very competitive, the quotes will keep getting lower and lower. Common sense says you need to check on the driver´s feedback, talk about what happens if there is any damage in transit, but potentially a cheap way of moving a bike. I´ve used them to move boxes from the UK to S. Europe but not bikes. The smaller the bike obviously the easier and cheaper it is likely to be. I always use the ferry to Santander/Bilbao when heading S from the UK.
  6. potus

potus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would do exactly what you've done previously, sail to Santander and ride down. Ride back up through Spain and Pyrenees into France. Head to Roscoff just take the extra time off to extend your holiday. :-)
  7. pip_muenster

pip_muenster curious

Oddometer:
    Shipping from Germany is about 500 EUR each way when using a shipping company, and I doubt it will be cheaper from the UK. I've shipped a bike for similar reasons and would do it again. For me, this also changes the feel from a simple commute to a vacation trip, where I am not thinking about just getting somewhere.
    Better alternatives:
    (1) ride the bike down now, leave it with your MIL, fly home until Eastern
    (2) get another bike to store permanently with your MIL
    You can get quite cheap flights with a bit of planning, so this would open up opportunities to extend your riding season 365, if you can get away for a few days at time ...
    With proper and probably free storage at hand, #2 would be a nobrainer for me.
    :ricky
  8. Herman1

Herman1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is I am sure a carrier to Malaga . Have a look at the ads in the back of ABR magazine?
  9. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out advfactory. Sambor will ship both ways Warsaw-Malaga for €480. Out 20 March, back 05 April. Ask for a price one-way. He can arrange pick-up in the UK. When he did that for me a couple of years ago, it was €100.