Shipping a Moto from Ushuaia to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Aussie_Gringo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any information on doing this? I've been sending e-mails out to Virag, Girag, Lan and have no replies in the past few days. Nothing on Horizons Unlimited either.

Thanks!

Neal
  2. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
  3. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    I´m not going to Santiago....currently in Pucon, Chile and headed South. Wow $3k sounds kinda expensive but thanks for the post.....What route ya got planned?

Thanks!

Neal
  4. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    Probably heading to BA as I got some work to do. Will explore from BA as time permits. Someone recommended Pucon to me today. How is it?
  5. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Little slice of heaven...been here three nights riding local loops and can´t believe this is the third world. I didn´t care much for Villarrica.....Pucon is more better and 40 Kms East........Active volcano just a few miles away and beautiful europeon women on college break all over the place :evil
  6. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now in Santiago. Puchon is Chile's Aspen. Adventure tourism. Chile aint the third world and Puchon is their star attraction...

Shipping Santiago on LanChile Cargo. This is what I was told at the airport in Santiago today, 3/23/07.

Make a reservation for your bike to fly out LanChileCargo. It amounts to just getting a number to start the procedure. They got me the number at the cargo counter.

Bring your bike to the warehouse at the airport. Disconnect battery, emtpy gas tank and lower air pressure in the tires. They wheel the bike onto a pallet and strap it down.

Your pay small fee for bike for storage of bike until it ships, this is an unknown time. There is a flight everyday Santiago to LAX and a flight twice a week to Miami then on to Lax.

You pay LanChile Cargo $10.00 for airbill, $85 for hazardous cargo inspection. They can take 48 hours for the inspection. The next charge is $1.95 per kilo and $.35 per kilo fuel tax. Total $2.30 per kilo. Then you get a DUS, another piece of paper to take to Aduana.

Track your bike on LanChile Cargo internet site. Pick your bike up at Customs at LAX. No idea what customs charges to store your bike until pickup or for paperwork.

We begin sorting out our stuff and plan to have our bikes at the airport on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

I have heard here in Chile, rumor, that Chile trys to keeps fares for outbound low to encourage exports. I don't know myself...

Arturo, at LanChile Cargo, speaks very good English. | could not of understood this proceedure without him.
  7. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Man, I love this place.....headed South tomorrow with plans to ship on way or the other.....thanks man!!!!!
  8. Flying Gringo

Flying Gringo Coming Soon

Oddometer:
    You may find that they measure the bike on the pallet and charge you a volume weight, which will equal about 500 kilos. Both times I have shipped to or from South America, this is what happened.
  9. ontheborder

Oddometer:
    Shipped a dr650 and f650 on Monday from Santiago.

Cost : $140US for building and putting two bikes on two pallets.
    Gross weight for both bikes including pallets 476 kilos.
    Price $928US for shipping plus $261US for other charges, fuel tax I believe.
    Total $1329 which included $10 airbill and $85 for hazardous cargo inspection .

Problems

They told me no credit card for payment the first day. I brought cash and when I get there they say credit card is okay.

Now at time of payment the cashier brings up the volume issue, which will put the above cost way way way higher! So the guy that walked me through the whole process, my handler, now has to argue for me that motorcycles are EXEMPT from volume charges. This takes one half hour and calls to the high ups in the organization. Result, no volume charge for our bikes!!!!!!

They don´t get the word to their people so some don´t really know what the rules are . The office people on Monday were totally different from last those I spoke to last Friday.

A couple, American and Canadian, shipped two f650gs from Santiago to New Zealand last Xmas for around $1200US for both bikes on LanChile.

Really hopes this helps. I told them that if they charged the same coming from LA to Santiago as they do heading north they would hundreds of bikes down here!!!!!
  10. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
    I am impressed. If you got this done without paying volume charges, you, sir, are the man...
  11. ontheborder

Oddometer:
    Wish I could say that it was something I did and my fantastic command of Spanish, more luck than anything. The day I went to LanChile there was a guy there that spòke perfect English and answered every question I had. When we returned with our bikes we rode straight to the Teisa warehouse, which I believe is LanChile´s operation, and while setting up the bikes a guy, with no English comes out and hangs with us, then has me follow him everywhere we needed to go as well as argure price with his co workers. Then walks us to the bus back to Santiago.

I would rather be lucky than smart!!!!
  12. Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neil,

Did you ever get an answer to your original question?

---> Shipping a Moto from Ushuaia to Los Angeles <---

I'd be interested in the cost and the carrier.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
  13. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    No answers yet but should be in Ushuaia within a week and can then look into shipping via sea or air.

Might possibly find someone in this forum to ride it North for me.....:ear
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    When do you see that happening?
  15. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    In the next few weeks probably. I´m an hour outside of Ushuaia presently :D and will need to visit the airport and sea cargo terminals on Monday. If nothing pans out then I´d be looking for a rider I can trust (such as yourself) as I´d have to transfer the moto into your name for you to make the border crossings. The bike has 58k miles, bald TKC 80´s, but otherwise is good to go.

I need to be back at work April 9th, else I´m toast :lol3
  16. Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps, there are Public Storage Facilities there, where you could / might store your bike for several months and pick it up for a ride back up the other Coast.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
  17. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
    180 day maximum stay for a foreign vehicle in Argentina, owned/driven by a foreigner. 90 day max stay for a foreign vehicle if owned driven by a citizen of Argentina. And as for storage, there is probably nothing like PS where you can store and lock yourself. Someone will possibly store, but no PS or similar facilities.
  18. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    I thought it was 8 months for Argentina...?
  19. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
    Every now and then you get less than 8 months, for reasons I don't really understand. I once got 5.

What is really weird is that the bike will sometimes get 8 months and the rider 30 days.
  20. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Possibly, I´ve got a boat load of options right now but need to be back at work on Monday April 9th. Your suggestion has crossed my mind. Tomorrow morning I start the walking tour of airport cargo terminals and shipyards. I noticed a Shipping Agent sign on my way into town this morning.