Shipping a Moto from Ushuaia to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Aussie_Gringo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    I had 90 days stamped on my passport, have things changed recently?
  2. BonBon

BonBon Mrs. Copper Canyon Guy

Oddometer:
    Lan Chile flies into Punta Arenas, I realize that is backtraking a bit, but I believe it's the closest to Ushuaia. R20 and I just got back from there and he shipped his GS out of Santiago also, total cost was $850.00. So I would imagine that Lan would ship it from Punta Arenas to Santiago to Miami to LAX. There is guy in CHile that rents BMW's the name of his company is MotoAdventures, we met him while there and he does one way trips to Ushuia and has to pick the bikes up down there somewhere, maybe he can help you get it back North. Good luck
  3. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Great advice and thanks. On the ferry across to Punta Arenas I was told the same thing about shipping from there. I´ll look into Lan.
  4. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Don't you have enough time to ride it to Santiago or BA?
  5. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    I initially quit my job to do this trip and was given a 4 month leave of absence instead.....My return date is April 9th and my employer has been very fair with me.....besides, I´d prefer not to back track 3 to 4 days to get to either destination.....

This is my preference in the end. I guess although I may be back tracking to Puenta Arenas in the next day or so......

Tomorrow and things will be firmer as my exwife said before her costmetic surgery :D
  6. Shaft

Shaft counting my blessings

Oddometer:
    GS adv
    I belive you can travel from Ushuia to Punta Arenas in one day if you take the ferry from Porvenir . However I belive the ferry only goes once a day in the AM (that is if you decide to ship from there)

Please post as to the out come of your shipping as I hope to have the same problem next winter:evil and good luck
    P.s there is a good pint in the Galway pub down there in Ushuia:wink:
  7. Flying Gringo

Flying Gringo Coming Soon

Oddometer:
    Really? When were you there?

One thing you will notice in Ushuaia is a lot of locals riding bikes they bought from travelers. Because of the free port status of Tierra Del Fuego, you can legally sell your bike to a local there and he can register it. Something else to keep in mind if you get in a jam.
  8. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
    If he busts ass, it's about 3 days to BA, if the weather is fine. This year the storms have been unbelievably brutal. By the time they reach Ushuaia, a lot of riders are mentally and physically exhausted, and riding north in some of the thunderstorms that roll across the pampa this time of year is grueling.
  9. R2O

R2O Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey if you need help in Punta Arenas I have some friends there that can help you out. Punta Arenas is a free trade zone there are lots of Customs agents to help you there as well Buena Suerte
    R20
  10. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the e-mail and shipping documents :thumb . Please send the contact names if you can..........Shouldn´t be a problem shipping as there´s a shipping agent here in town who I´m meeting up with tomorrow and Punta Arenas is only a few hours and a ferry ride away.

Thanks for the help!
  11. R2O

R2O Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are you taking the ferry from Punta Delgada or the Long one from porvenir. Take the short one and it is only 90 mile to punta arenas more or less.
  12. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Great point....Porvenir ferry runs once a day only. There are several runs at Punta Delgada which means I can make it to Punta Arenas in a day. I´ll be headed there on Wednesday if nothing pans out tomoirrow.

Thanks for the help!
  13. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    "It is not possible" is what I´ve been told about shipping a moto (at least a 1150 GSA) from Ushuaia or Punta Arenas to LAX or Buenos Aires. I´ve checked with LAN Cargo, Jet Pax, researched Horizons Unlimited, sent out countless e-mail inquiries to shipping agents, met with a local shipping agent, all with no luck.

This may be helpful info for someone planning a future trip down here.

So tomorrow begins an 1800 mile run North along the South Atlantic coast up to B.A. I plan to ship the bike via Lan Cargo from B.A. to LAX. I´ll post shipping costs and how smoothly the shipping process goes in a week or so.

Thanks to everyone who posted in this thread.

:freaky
  14. Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about as cargo on a ship from there to LA / Southern Cal?

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
  15. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mike....logistically impossible as the bike would need to be transferred a few times as there are no ships going direct from here to there.

The downside ain´t much. I'll be riding 1800 miles of road I've already travelled. Although the winds traveling North on this stretch are not to be believed :lol3

Another jobs shouldn't be too difficult to find (add smilie here)

Finally, I plan to ride into the Warped V3 event in three weeks......

It's all good.

Neal
  16. Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Neal,

When things get back to normal, I'd like to ask some detailed question regarding your adventure. If I remember, I'll PM you around June 1st, time is taking a toll on my memory. The questions I will have will be of your opinion about a similar trip but on another type of bike and my chances of pulling it off.

Best regards,

Mike Lynch
  17. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
    If OnTheBorder was able to ship from Santiago to the US as cheap as he says, you definitely should head for Santiago. Do exactly what he did, go where he did, talk to who he did, etc... That is cheap. Trust me, I learned the hard way. And if I can do BA to Santiago in a day and a half on my piece of crap Baghira, you should be able to do it in a day on a real motorcycle. Unlike the US, where McDonalds is McDonalds is McDonalds, in South America LAN is Lan Chile, Lan Argentina, Lan Peru, etc. And it's the second word, the one that rhymes with Argentina, that will screw things up for you in BA.
  18. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are in Tucsno now and the bikes are supposed to fly out of Chile on the 8th, so the plan is to pick them up on the 9th or 10th. Will let you all know how it turns out.

I also believe, a r1200gs, flew out of Santiago for approximately $850. Don't know if it went to LAX or Miami...
  19. 805gregg

805gregg Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neal there is a post on Horrizons Unlimited about shipping from Santiago in April tells all the details.
  20. Flying Gringo

Oddometer:
    If you get your bike back for what you paid to ship it, you the man.