Shipping a Moto from Ushuaia to Los Angeles

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Aussie_Gringo, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ontheborder

ontheborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    now in kingman, arizona, getting a new chain. here is how it worked at los angeles international.

went to lancargo, they gave me a paper to get stamped at customs about a mile away. customs didn't want to stamp it and wanted me to get a customs broker because the bikes are hazardous cargo and i didn't have proof that i shipped it from the US. we went around a little bit, very courteous, then i asked for a supervisor. he told them that since i was saying it was a arizona and colorado plated bike they should check it out on the computer. homeland security would have that info. it was in the computer, i got a little lecture to keep shipping papers. i told them i was a rookie. they stamped the paper and i went back to lancargo and paid them $30.00 and added gas, connected batteries and rode out... !!! customs had cracked open a master lock and that was the only problem.

So less than $1400.00 for two bikes from santiago to lax... insist on not paying volume charges in santiago. if they want volume charges make them call everyone in charge. NO VOLUME CHARGE ON MOTORCYCLES from chile to lax... Good luck.

And Carmel Valley Road from the coast east is fantastic!
  2. Aussie_Gringo

Aussie_Gringo I have a "get out of banning for a week" card

Oddometer:
    That was the difference between my quoted price and palleted price for shipping as the greater of the two is the cost as I was told. Sounds like I've been screwed all the way round on this deal.

Still, riding to Santiago, Chile was not an option for me for various reasons.
  3. Flying Gringo

Flying Gringo Coming Soon

Oddometer:
    Welcome to getting fu#$ed internationally. Same thing happened to me. Sounds like you are getting it worse than I am though. I hope you get your bike back.
  4. Flying Gringo

Flying Gringo Coming Soon

Oddometer:
    You the man!!!!

I am so impressed that you actually got what you were told you were going to get and have your bikes for what you agreed to pay.

As you can read, it usually doesn't turn out that way.
  5. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Far worse things have happened to other riders shipping their bikes than what has happened to me :cry . More better to have this happen at the end of a ride than at the beginning. Kudos to OTB.

Neal
  6. Aussie_Gringo

Oddometer:
    Agreed, Flying Gringo......Rare that things work out so easily :D .
  7. lost...

lost... Guarior

Oddometer:
    Nice work. Thanks for the post, VERY helpful.