Shipping a Motorcycle from the U.S. to Veracruz, Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Inquizator, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Inquizator

Inquizator n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey all, I posted about routes for my ride to Veracruz next week to start a 6 month assignment there for work here. However, Friday even I was told that the Human Resources Manager for the U.S. did not approve me riding my motorcycle down there. Basically they said that I won't be able to start my assignment if I don't arrive by plane... So, I'm going to try to talk to him on Monday, but I doubt that'll fix it.

So... Can anyone give me suggestions on the best way to get the bike to Mexico anyways? I could always fly back and ride it down there later, but that'd be hard to do on a weekend and it'll be tough to get days off during this assignment. So I'm thinking about shipping it. Has anyone done this and can give me some more insight into who I might want to use or what's involved? I don't have a lot of time left to figure this out; it's now only a week before I'm down there. (Awesome of them to wait till now to forbid me arriving by motorcycle).

Anyways, I appreciate any help or suggestions you guys have.

Thanks,
    Matt
  2. garrydymond

garrydymond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finding a way to ride is your only real option. If you ship your bike somehow it will take you forever to get it out of customs. It sounds like you won't have a lot of free time during the week which is what you would need to get the bike released from wherever you send it to. Why not ride it to the border keep it somewhere (an inmate might be able to help you do that) and on a weekend go and get it. You could take a bus to the border on a Friday night or fly and ride back over the weekend.
    I know that doesn't sound like much help but it is the best I can think of. Hopefully someone else will come up with a better solution.

Garry
    www.garryhostel.com
  3. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Good advice.
    Fly outta Harlingen or Laredo to Veracruz.
    Fly back and ride her down.
  4. Aldayo

Aldayo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you will need to talk to someone in customs to see what you can do about it, cos if you're bringing an american registered motorcycle to mexico you'll need a permit for it... i think they don't give'em for more than 6 months too.

the best way IMO would be shipping it specially if they told you not to ride... yet again you can always ride it to a close spot like monterrey, ship it from there on a truck and ride a plane from monterrey to veracruz
  5. Inquizator

Inquizator n00b

Oddometer:

Garry, that's kind of what I was wondering. All my co-workers just don't understand why I'm being so stubborn and won't ship it. But I always felt like that'd be more trouble than riding it. So, it probably is difficult to get it out of customs? I know it's not too big of a deal to get the paperwork to ride it into the country, but it's different or more difficult if I ship it?

Also, the fly and ride idea is my working plan at the moment. I'll talk to HR tomorrow more to see exactly what is allowed or not allowed and get a feel for what I can do to get the bike down there and avoid further confrontation with the company or any consequences. My only concern about driving it down over a weekend is that that means I HAVE to make it from the border to Veracruz in 2 days. I certainly think that's doable, but I didn't want to be in a hurry my first motorcycle ride into Mexico.

Any more advice or suggestions you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt
  6. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here

Oddometer:
    Buy me some plane tickets and I'll ride it down there for you.
    Pretty lame of your company to tell you you cant ride your bike down there.
  7. Inquizator

Inquizator n00b

Oddometer:
    Everyone is convinced I must be suicidal. They hear of all the deaths and violence and nothing I say can convince them that there's anything less than 100% chance I'll be a victim of some sort of violence.
  8. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I suspect the issue is insurance related. If you are in transit to a job assignment you are "on the job". Your company probably doesn't want to cover you riding a motorcycle. You won't win with HR. Don't waste your or their time.
  9. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a friend who posts here who used to live near me in Merida, and he had his bike shipped from Florida to Cancun. There was no problem with it in customs, the bike shipped, he imported it on a TVIP (temporary vehicle import permit) just the same as when you all ride your bikes across the border. It was quick, easy and painless. He picked it up and rode it to Merida.

I will let him know about this thread and see if he wants to chime in.
  10. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    So far 3 replies and so far,ALL 3 are misleading.While I respect the contributions that LR and Ace have made here,they are totally off base regarding shipping youe bike.
    I shipped my bike from Miami to Cancun (Puerto Morelos) and the process couldn't have been easier.I got my TVIP online.I made arrangements to crate my bike and the shipper picked it up from the company who crated it for me-roughly 3 miles away.They made the bike available for US Customs to inspect the bike prior to shipping.I probably spent 15 minutes in the shipper's office,total.
    I flew to Merida where I was living,bussed to Cancun and caught a local bus to the Port.On arrival,I went to the Customs office,presented my paperwork and TVIP and was on my way in under 25 minutes.I was the ONLY one there.From the Customs office,I walked 3 minutes to the warehouse, presented my Customs stamped papers,and was walked inside where my created bike was waiting for me.Several warehouse workers were happy to uncrate the bike and we all got a big laugh when I put my license plate on upside down!:rofl I Tipped these guys for their work and also gave a small tip to the warehouse manager-everyone was happy.I actually spent a total of under 90 minutes for the ENTIRE process.I rode back to the Customs office as the manager there wanted to see my bike-because he also rides.The group of us shot the breeze for a few minutes and I bid them farewell, stopped at the 1st Pemex station about 2 miles away,and made the worst choice possible for the ride to Merida.Take my word for it,use the autopista!
    As an aside,they have rarely seen a TVIP in hand like I had because people rarely IMPORT a vehicle form there since it's not a land border.They were prepared to do it for me when I presented mine.:rayof

I'm not sure if money is an issue or not but it may be cheaper to ride down from the border as opposed to crating and shipping it.I know you said time is an issue,so shipping may be the only option.Otherwise like others said,it's not a bad ride from the border.
    Hope this helps and if you want to talk about it,send me a PM and I'll give you my number.
  11. Zibou

Zibou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding importation issue, there is no big deal, at the boarder, you can have a temporal importation permit issued in half an hour and it cost about 30 USD. it last 6 months and you can have it renewed.

Where are you in the US? from new Laredo to Veracruz, it should take you about 2 days riding, but with very few time to discover...

Regarding your HR guy, I would just do as if he had said nothing. Or maybe you can say you are afraid of taking a plane (might be counter productive though)

I am looking at a way to send my bike from Mexico to Peru and everything I found is really expensive, It is cheaper sending something from the US, but anyway, it might be a bit complicated and costly (more than riding the bike anywhere). What bike are we talking about?

Other option would be to buy a Mexican bike you would use during your stay in Mexico. It might be economically interesting versus sending the bike, it might also avoid you some extra control from corrput local police on the road (I use to have a Californian bike, so I know what I am talking about). by the way, I have a mexican KLR 650 in sale... :evil

Will you be at Veracruz port? If by any chance you practice Kite surf, take your gear and I will give you some good contacts there.

Let me know if you come to mexico city with your bike and I'll show you around, When are your moving?

Edit: karmatourer, I would be interesting to know how much did it cost you to ship your bike to Cancun and witch company did you use.
    My problem being that much companies do import-export with the US but not with south America...
  12. DetR6oit

DetR6oit Been here awhile

Oddometer:

its actually not too bad a pace from the border in brownsville to tampico the first night, then Veracruz the next day. Its means keeping a solid pace with no major stops but its not really a hard rush to get it done. Tampico has a lot of dirty transit cops looking for payoffs though fyi. Had it happen twice while riding through a couple months back.
  13. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe re-read...:D
    I understand that you had a good experience. You have good information, presented well, too.
    It's lots cheaper and more efficient for him to fly to Harlingen or Laredo, retrieve his bike, and ride down in two days.
    Two days from So TX to Veracruz is a breeze ride.
    No loading, unloading, crating, uncrating, whatever...just fuel and go.

To me, this is a no-brainer.
  14. pax maac

pax maac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be, except that the guy says he can't ride down before or during the work assignment, so Karmatourers shipping advice seems to be the most helpful here.

If the guy says he can't ride, why do people keep telling him he should ride?
  15. Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Maybe I'm all wet and don't understaknd. Feel free to spear me.

As I understand this, after he has arrived in Vera, HR does not have his testicles in a tight hold. So he has weekends available for sight-seeing, whoring around, or going to get his bike.

What is the problem?
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was not off base (Karmatourer) with my comments. I said nothing about shipping or importing the OP's bike. I was commenting on why his company won't let him ride it to his assignment.
    I agree with others who said the best bet is to stage the bike in McAllen or Brownsville, then after he is established in Veracruz he can go back up there and get it.
  17. garrydymond

garrydymond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very interesting that it was so simple to get the bike out of Cancun. I helped a Swiss guy get his bike out of customs in Mex City and it was a bit of a nightmare and took 3 full days!
    I still think the easiest way is to get the bike to a border and ride it down. It must be the cheapest way and possibly the fastest. If he can't do that why even try to bring the bike in if the company is going to be upset.
    Glad I don't work for a company that controls what I do in my free time are they all accontants?
  18. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    LR,I totally agree.But shippiing worked better for me from Miami to Merida as that ride would not have been pleasant on a Sportster (don't ask).
  19. karmatourer

karmatourer STD free

Oddometer:
    Sorry Ace,didn't mean to lump you in with the rest as I read through the thread in a rush.Hopefully the OP has made a decision and I'd like to know the outcome.
  20. fjmitchell

fjmitchell TRUTA!

Oddometer:
    Hey, I was wondering if you shipped to Vera cruz? I'm planning an abbreviated trip to south America and live in the northeast ( little short on time). I wanted to see how customs was, sounds like Mexico is hit or miss ( with customs that is).