shipping a motorcycle on Alaska Air

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by NorthernBoxer, Mar 25, 2008.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You got a rough window of when you'll be back in Seattle and wanting to ship home?
  2. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad KiLleR 650

Oddometer:
    This dude spelled it out for you way back in the beginning of this thread. :deal DB
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Cost, man. Cost. I believe the root issue was being leaned over for the move.
  4. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    :gerg ... yeah, they either did things differently "last fall" or his Tiger is like 3 feet long and 2 feet tall. :deal

Legion, I'm wanting to ship her back on the 18th of May.
  5. The Butcher

The Butcher Tiger Man

Oddometer:
    I stand corrected. On Oct. 22, 2007, the price to ship my 550lb normal sized Tiger was $443.58 after the $55 MYC, $50 RAC and $3.08 tax. Never even heard the term "dimensional weight". Boy, did you ever get fucked. :eek1
  6. beamertwin

beamertwin Paul

Oddometer:
    If Anchorage to Seattle is such a ream ....what would Anchorage, Seattle or Houston to Santiago be?? :ear
  7. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Multiple reams.

...and you gotta box 'er up.
  8. The Butcher

The Butcher Tiger Man

Oddometer:
    Legion, I'm wanting to ship her back on the 18th of May.[/quote]

Hey 'Boxer, this time around, maybe they'll give you a kiss after fuckin' ya'.:rogue
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Transpo costs are going up wildly w/ the price of fuel.

I just shipped an old truck up from western WA and the freight tab? $1845. :bluduh

Should be able to trim some lard off that bike move though.
  10. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hay legion, was the bed of the truck empty or did you bring up a new bike too. I always hate to waste free shipping when somebody is bring up a pickup truck.
  11. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    9/11 fixed that. No more anything in the truck unless it's bolted in and part of the truck. :bluduh

I did try.
  12. HYLYNDYR

HYLYNDYR naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer:
    Update :
    I just received the approval letter & I was approved no problem ( $55 later ), then started calling to confirm the rates I received three months ago....here's where the bummer hits..my $800 quote from the past is now $1181 due to "energy costs ".
    Bikes are now charged at it's " height/length/width x some secret formula " ( forgot to write it down ), with weight also added in there. :huh

Issue # 2 is size from the Bay Area. Alaska Air only has passenger planes freight space till Seattle, then they have cargo capable planes. This means a max of 34" in height gets on the passenger plane. I don't think the Wee would like lying on it's side. :eek1

So from the Bay Area it would be trucked to Seattle then it'd take a plane ride.

So that's the info so far, I'll start looking at other options now, although flying is quicker and time saving, it's not as cheap as I had originaly budgeted.
  13. AKBMW

AKBMW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok i'll do it!! Pay me the 1000 bucks and I will ride your bike up to AK.. :D

Joking have you contacted carlile, or Lynden?
  14. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

That's the typical formula for cubic weight (or cubic volume) that the air freight companies use. The last part of the formula is a voodoo science factor that switches every once in a while.

Regardless, this move will make your bobo hurt.

I've been considering some sort of box it up in Seattle arrangement for NBoxer for an alternate plan of trucking the bike up. I plan to have a couple of options squared away by the end of the week and I'll post 'em up here. I'm not in the freight business so I'm plodding along a little but the truck route even w/ a $100 used bike crate from one of the dealer's recent shipments is looking like it might be the most cost effective route. We'll see.
  15. NorthernBoxer

NorthernBoxer Fükengrüven

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your help, Legion... I have been having a great time. I'm in Hanksville, UT right now, on the motel computer. Moab was freaking awesome!!! I did White Rim trail in one day, 145 miles in 10.5 hours! what an amazing place Southern Utah is! Tomorow, I go to Bryce and Zion, and then maybe Vagas on my way to the CA coast. woohoo! ride on!!!:ricky
  16. HYLYNDYR

HYLYNDYR naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer:
    Just wait till you ride the 12 NB !!! great road, even if it is paved !:D

And Legion, thank for the legwork on shipping !:clap
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    post your suggestions here. Between us all we can surely come up w/ a decent freight cost and maybe a worthwhile future reference for tossing bikes back and forth from the rainy state.
  18. Katoomer

Katoomer Silver Surfer

Oddometer:
    Action Graphics Allyn just scored us a great deal through Roadway. Three bikes, shipped via barge in connexes from Anchortown to Portland, transloaded to truck and transported to Seattle Roadway yard located a few miles north of SeaTac. $583 RT each including cost of crate (ours) storage for 3+ weeks. Lead time for delivery is 10-14 days to ensure availability in Seattle.:ricky Best deal I've seen short of free!:evil
  19. Kul Mom

Kul Mom aka sKul Marm Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, so how about free (well, almost)? I already had a reservation on the ferry to bring First Bike back to Alaska. The plan was to meet up with NorthernBoxer (the Kul Son) in Seattle at the end of his vacation so that we could go to my niece Jody's graduation from law school. Then he would ship his bike back and I would come home on the ferry with First Bike. It took awhile (I'm kind of a slow thinker) but it occured to me that I could bring his bike home and leave First Bike with my Mother (where it has been for the last seven years).

[​IMG]

That way I would still have a trip in the que. So I offered him a deal - if he would pay to fly me from Yakima to Seattle I would bring his bike home. Deal! Sounds good in theory anyway. What I didn't count on was riding the VERY tall dirt bike. The first time I every threw a leg across it was on Bainbridge Island. It has a very distrubing tendancy to fall off to the right as it settles on to the suspension. Whatever. I CAN do this! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    On the 22nd I flew into Seattle. My brother picked me up and dropped me off in Discovery Park where the Honda was waiting at Jody's house. I packed up and off I went to spend some time with my nephew in Glacier, WA before catching the ferry in Bellingham. First discovery about the bike is that about the only way I can get off is on the right side. VERY ackward - I hope no one is watching :shog - but both the bike and I are still upright at the end of the process. Which is a good thing. :nod
    <o:p></o:p>
    The afternoon of the 23rd I boarded the flagship of the Alaska Marine Highway System, the Columbia. With only one sailing from Bellingham to Haines per week the ship is PACKED! I get a nice snug spot next to an Airstream from California in the company of a couple of Beamers and a couple of Harleys. Note the separation for dirt bikes (or maybe Hondas).

[​IMG]

All went well until we were 3 hours north of Ketchikan and the No. 1 Generator caught fire in the engine room. We returned to Ketchikan where the Coast Guard determined that we could not continue. The poor guys at the terminal had to re-route 283 passengers and 113 vehicles. The next day I loaded on to the Kennicott with one of the Harleys and a GS from Nevada.

[​IMG]

Then off to Juneau where I transfered to the Malaspina for the rest of the trip to Haines. We got into Haines at 9:00 at night on the 27th - a day and a half later than we had expected. I spent the night with a friend of my nephews who lives at Fort Seward on Officer's Row. What a view! (Sorry - no photo).

The next day I rode to Tok and decided to call it a day. I got the last room at Young's and had the required meal at Fast Eddy's. (For those of you who don't know - you can't go through Tok without stopping at Fast Eddy's. It's a requirement.)

[​IMG]

I am happy to report that the road between Haines and Anchorage (via the Tok Cutoff) is in pretty good condition. No problems. There is a very disturbing sign between the border and Tok though. "Road Construction next 47 miles". Luckily they were only in the surveying phase but in the future it will probably be an issue.

-KM
  20. fugawi

fugawi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You always have the Kul'est Trips.

More Please....:wave